Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
i guess I don't see the big issue here...
Hi, team, Bob Murray here. We fully expect you all to show up and compete for a playoff position this year, so make sure you give 110%,and listen to your coach. That may be difficult, since that guy is in San Diego. Feel free to do whatever the hell you want to until we fire Dallas though, because you’re 110% aware that we are canning him regardless, and that means we don’t actually give any more of a damn about you either. Now, who wants to go to Buffalo?

It’s unprofessional as hell, and the team knows Eakins is irrelevant now.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
If this is true and Bouchard went ahead and told that to the media... I can't see old Bob liking that very much. Will be very interesting to see how they handle this.

And as many have already said, if the plan is still to have Bouchard coach in the NHL after a year, and if Eakins is indeed a 'dead man walking' on an expiring contract, please have the decency to get it over with already.

Gonna be difficult to 'sell' the season to the fanbase, if Eakins is still here. Hard not to wash away the feeling of a throwaway season, if we only expect the coach to be here for his last season.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Hi, team, Bob Murray here. We fully expect you all to show up and compete for a playoff position this year, so make sure you give 110%,and listen to your coach. That may be difficult, since that guy is in San Diego. Feel free to do whatever the hell you want to until we fire Dallas though, because you’re 110% aware that we are canning him regardless, and that means we don’t actually give any more of a damn about you either. Now, who wants to go to Buffalo?

guess I don't think professional players are gonna act like children and just stop listening to their head coach like this. plus he's supposed to have a good relationship with some of the younger guys he coached in San Diego, you really think those guys are just gonna stop caring what Eakin says?

just feel like you guys are overblowing this lol

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
It's gotta be a weird translation. French is such a strange language with how words are placed in English and how words can mean similar things but they use the harshest version. Duolingo has been kicking my ass as a result

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
There's nothing wrong with internal competition, even when it's explicit. But publicly undermining a colleague is a shitty thing to do.

AHL coaches want to be NHL coaches. Lacking an NHL opening, the next best thing would be joining an organization where the ladder from AHL to NHL is possible or even likely. I think it's clear to everyone in the league that that's Anaheim's situation; years of having a terrible record, entire coaching staff replaced except one, the NHL coach on the last year of his of deal.

I've never heard of Bouchard but judging by his own comments and everyone else's he's a sought-after AHL guy. He wants a shot at the NHL, of course the Ducks would make that part of the recruitment - wouldn't have to be a promise; all they'd have to do is point out the obvious. There's a real shot to outshine the current NHL coach. You get a yearlong audition, way out ahead of other candidates. There's nothing underhanded or cheap about any of that, Eakins has to know he needs to perform this year. The Ducks have bent over backwards to help him out, really.

So all of that is fine. But just openly talking like you're gunning for the guy's job...that's f***ed up. Maybe he misspoke or it's a translation issue.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It's gotta be a weird translation. French is such a strange language with how words are placed in English and how words can mean similar things but they use the harshest version. Duolingo has been kicking my ass as a result

This. I feel like it is more:

"...a team calls and tells me that they have an NHL coach that they will move forward with this year, but only has one year left on his contract."

If it is that then I see no issue with this. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Eakins is on the last year of his contract and is coaching for his job, and if they choose not to extend him then Bouchard will be in a great position to be the next NHL coach.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Damn, I somehow took that "move forward with" as "move on from" in the comment. If I interpret the comment correct this time he's basically saying that he was hinted by BM that Eakins' contract will not be renewed and he'd be a strong candidate to take over? Is there a nuance I'm still missing? Maybe it's not that bad then but still a weird comment to make public.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

We were forced to study French in school from grades 3-9, I remember thinking that there was very little evidence of reason, patterns etc, just a ton of memorization.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal

I agree that it seems unprofessional for him to say that in the press (if that was his intention/translation etc).

But let's be honest. Eakins has been irrelevant from players' perspective since pretty early on, at least for the veterans/older players. Let's not pretend the veterans on this team didn't realize very early on that the guy is just a haircut in a suit. I don't think it's some big deal for the players like you're making it out to be. It's not like they were playing hard for Eakins last yr anyway.

Dick Steel

May 11, 2019
Finland
Something not feeling right in this case. Why Bouchard says that he is next head coach after Eakins contract (1 year) expired. If he knew that all ready, why he says somenthing like that to the Athletic?He is stupid or the Athletic wrote bullshit. Everyone know which language Bouchard gave his interview?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Maybe Eakins reverted to his old habits of being a control freak ?

That said as long as Bouchard gets results and develops the players to their potential, i can overlook if he pisses off a lame duck and terrible coach in Eakins.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
We were forced to study French in school from grades 3-9, I remember thinking that there was very little evidence of reason, patterns etc, just a ton of memorization.

I'm getting murdered by placement of description words around people. Like Les Fils Americaines. The Girls American? what the fresh hell.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm getting murdered by placement of description words around people. Like Les Fils Americaines. The Girls American? what the fresh hell.
Imagine being Mexican American like me and there is a sports team called The Angels Angels' of Anaheim lmao.
On a side note having French players on the Ducks is the closest thing to a Latino on the Ducks.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Try listening to Old English, it's literally Saxon era German and is also like Dutch. If you look at some words commonly used in Dutch sentences it's like English such as the word 'For' which the Dutch use it the same way.

Dutch is the closest to English of Germanic languages and even modern German has Latin influences on some words.

English also has Viking influences such as the tradition of adding 'son' to the end of a name. The origin of Johnson is the original name bearer was a son of John and thus became Johnson.
In norway/Iceland you see the female form of this as in Olafsdottir where Dottir is Daughter and male form is Olafson.

Then of course the Norman French influence on English and Norman's were originally vikings who married French/Frankish women and the French themselves are a mix of Frankish germanic tribe that mixed with the Roman/Gallic population of Gaul(France).

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
And getting back from the discussion of linguistics, I have no problem with Bouchard saying what he said. After the two years that he has had here I am not worried about insulting Eakins. If he can get the team to perform this year, great, and he can be renewed. If the team flops again, a more likely situation, then the Ducks will have a new coach for the 22/23 season. In my opinion Eakins is lucky that the Ducks are giving him this third year to perform. His performance as coach to date has been unsatisfying, and Eakins knows that. Most NHL teams would have fired him after last season.

Bouchard wants an advantage in being selected the next coach if Eakins is not renewed, and expressing that is fine with me. I would rather have an AHL coach for the Ducks who is ambitious and wants to move us rather than one who is satisfied staying in San Diego. If Eakins is renewed, then Bouchard can move on to a different organization if he wants an NHL position. If Eakins is unhappy with having competition from Bouchard then Eakins can quit now and move on.

Reactions: Kariya 9 and dracom

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
And getting back from the discussion of linguistics, I have no problem with Bouchard saying what he said. After the two years that he has had here I am not worried about insulting Eakins. If he can get the team to perform this year, great, and he can be renewed. If the team flops again, a more likely situation, then the Ducks will have a new coach for the 22/23 season. In my opinion Eakins is lucky that the Ducks are giving him this third year to perform. His performance as coach to date has been unsatisfying, and Eakins knows that. Most NHL teams would have fired him after last season.

Bouchard wants an advantage in being selected the next coach if Eakins is not renewed, and expressing that is fine with me. I would rather have an AHL coach for the Ducks who is ambitious and wants to move us rather than one who is satisfied staying in San Diego. If Eakins is renewed, then Bouchard can move on to a different organization if he wants an NHL position. If Eakins is unhappy with having competition from Bouchard then Eakins can quit now and move on.

This kerfuffle over what Bouchard said is silly. There is one person who knows better than anyone how tenuous Eakins' hold on his job is. That person is Dallas Eakins. He just had his staff replaced, after having Darryl Sutter hired to help him coach. And one of the new guys on staff is Geoff Ward, a former NHL head coach. And on top of that, Murray brings in a spy Newell Brown to provide full reports (half-kidding). If he's worried about being replaced or undermined, who do you think Eakins is more concerned about - Ward or Bouchard in SD?

Eakins kept his job for mostly one reason - Murray wants to give the GM who replaces him in the next year the chance to make his own decision and presumably hire his own coach. So Eakins makes it most if not all of the year presumably. If the ducks sputter, they likely turn it over to Ward as a caretaker for the new GM.

Bottom line, Eakins knows that if he doesn't produce, he's gone and Bouchard changes nothing. And even if he does produce, he might be gone in any event with the new GM. At the same time, Bouchard comes to a place to were he's not blocked by a guy who just coached his team to the SC Finals and was rewarded with a three year contract. Plus SD weather >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Montreal.

It seems to me the people who should be threatened by Bouchard's arrival are the player development team. Guys like Terry, Larsson, Mahura and Steel have been slow to develop and arguably stagnated. Hard to say to what extent that's on the players vs coaching staffs. But it is concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad