Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
I can't believe we had to just hold onto Rakell to get a f***ing 28 point season out of him, man i'm so fed up with this shit, I would bring in the Ranger guys in an instant

I'd bring back Boudreau in an instant but if I were him I wouldn't want to work for Bob again, if we have a new GM I think that could happen. Torts is good for a team that's outside the plaoyffs and need that push but is he really a good coach for a young team like ours? I can just imagine what it would be like the first time he rips Zegras or Drysdale or even Gibson publicly, we all know Gibson is getting fed up with the bad teams in front of him already

Reactions: The Duck Knight

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
There's no way they hire an old coach again after the Carlyle experience.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I still think Murray and Eakins get next year to run out their contracts, Murray moves up to president of hockey ops or a similar promotion and Madden becomes GM and decides on who he wants coaching.

Yep, I would almost guarantee this is what happens. Not crazy about Eakins getting another year, but the Samuelis are going to ride out the clock, and Bob has certainly not earned the right to hire another coach.

Also, I know that people would like them to go outside the organization to find a GM, but Madden has earned a shot IMO. Plus, you never know what you have in a GM until he steps in the big chair, Paul Fenton and Jason Botterill were the two guys who people lobbied for years to get jobs and they failed miserably.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goose of Reason

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I still think Murray and Eakins get next year to run out their contracts, Murray moves up to president of hockey ops or a similar promotion and Madden becomes GM and decides on who he wants coaching.
Yep I reckon Madden is our next GM

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Madden is a gem. Can't let him go. My only concern is if gm duties distract him from scouting.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Madden has proven to be a great amateur scout but I’ve seen nothing to convince me he’s going to be a good GM. Not saying he doesn’t have that skill set but that he’s a complete unknown.

I would rather see someone with a fresh voice with experience as a quality GM bought in than an unknown. The position is too important to not bring someone with a proven track record IMO.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Interesting read about top coaching candidates. I think we are going to be passive for another year so I doubt we will make a coaching change (unless BM is fired...). I do hope at the minimum that we swap out or assistant coaches who have underperformed so we can at least give Eakins a better support staff to improve areas like special teams (or maybe groom one as his replacement). We really do need a better support staff as you see that great organizations churn out future coaches. I think Eakins is just too nice of a coach... it seems you need a bit of arrogance like a Babcock, Tortorella, Roy... etc. to get the most out of the players.

The top rising candidates for NHL coach, GM jobs

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Well, so much for my theory that he might sit in the big chair for a year or two while they waited on Madden to get ready.

The master of the RFA bridge deal. Still pretty surprised he never left to pursue a GM job but we were lucky to have him around for as long as we did, he's basically a Ducks' lifer. Enjoy retirement.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Big loss for the Ducks. I remember reading that he largely handles all RFA bridge contracts and the Ducks have had some amazing RFA deals.

Sad to see him go. Looks like a spot in the front office for Bob to promote to just opened up...

That was my first thought too. Maybe Bob's promotion upstairs happens sooner than expected.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
We could hire
Davidson and Gorton
The league already lives is!!
2022 headline

Anaheim Ducks set new record. No power plays for an entire month!!
It's sad I'm proud of the fact we haven't already done that.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This is a great opportunity to inject a new, progressive thinking voice into our front office mix.

Hopefully Bob doesn't go the ol' boy route and hire a like-minded thinker (not that his way of thinking is necessarily bad, just that a team with people coming from as many different angles as possible is best), or ownership is tightening belts so much so that the position is effectively absorbed by the guys already there.

Good luck to McNab, he did awesome work here and should be proud.

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021
Madden is a gem. Can't let him go. My only concern is if gm duties distract him from scouting.
I'd like to think him being GM would allow his scouting fundamentals to trickle down to those beneath him. He'll still obviously have a pulse on what's going on around him in terms of prospects he just won't be getting his hands as dirty.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like to think him being GM would allow his scouting fundamentals to trickle down to those beneath him. He'll still obviously have a pulse on what's going on around him in terms of prospects he just won't be getting his hands as dirty.

You've also got to think that, if he's been told he's getting the GM job, he's been teaching his team what to look for. They'll have the reports to him well before the draft every year and he'll have a couple months to give his input on the prospects they're looking at. If it works out properly, this could be really good in that he can build the team around the way he drafts. It would be great to have young guys coming in every couple of years and seamlessly fitting in to the system.

Reactions: AlphaPred

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
There was talk of Ryan Hardy (current Chicago Steel GM who has been crushing it lately, was with the USNTDP before) getting NHL interest in Friedman's latest column. Maybe Bob goes to VP, Madden to GM and Hardy assumes Madden's position?

We've taken Badini and Colangelo from the Steel and Moore went there post draft so we have some recent history with them.

Reactions: Boo Boo and Static

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
There was talk of Ryan Hardy (current Chicago Steel GM who has been crushing it lately, was with the USNTDP before) getting NHL interest in Friedman's latest column. Maybe Bob goes to VP, Madden to GM and Hardy assumes Madden's position?

We've taken Badini and Colangelo from the Steel and Moore went there post draft so we have some recent history with them.
I am a huge fan of Hardy. He joined Craig Custance on the Full 60 podcast earlier this season and totally won me over. Side note -- Kevin Weekes was also featured on that same podcast and would be an equally solid hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad