Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Kevin Weekes would be really good. Seems to be a really clear thinker with an understanding of the people side as well as the analytical stuff.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Madden is a gem. Can't let him go. My only concern is if gm duties distract him from scouting.
I think he could still help with scouting Dmen and goalies. But the next scouting head guy could focus mainly on forwards which is an area that Madden could be better on.
Tracey from what i've heard looked epic bad in the AHL this year.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Kevin Weekes would be really good. Seems to be a really clear thinker with an understanding of the people side as well as the analytical stuff.
As much as I enjoy Weekes and the risk of sounding like an old-boys club supporter, I'd like to see him cut his teeth with another team first.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
As much as I enjoy Weekes and the risk of sounding like an old-boys club supporter, I'd like to see him cut his teeth with another team first.
For me it really comes down to ensuring that the our drafting stays as good as it is or even improves. For example, i think there are other teams that have done a better job at finding forwards, but overall i can't really complain. If Weekesy can carry on with that, i'd be fine with him. However, i see what you're saying.

Reactions: AlphaPred

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Are there any potential european gms? It’s always frustrating to rehash failed nhl old boys when we could hire one of the top European hockey executives.

weekes would be cool since he has tons of media connections and we might get more insight into the front office.

the steel gm sounds very interesting to me

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
was mcnab the last remaining link to the original mighty ducks team?

sounds like this is the first step in madden succeeding murray as GM

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
was mcnab the last remaining link to the original mighty ducks team?

sounds like this is the first step in madden succeeding murray as GM
Then here's hoping it's also the first step in letting Madden step in and choose his next coach.

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021
Are there any potential european gms? It’s always frustrating to rehash failed nhl old boys when we could hire one of the top European hockey executives.

weekes would be cool since he has tons of media connections and we might get more insight into the front office.

I wouldn’t mind going outside of the box either. That’s one of the few aspects of the NHL that I don’t like, the old boys club where it’s hard for newcomers to break in and instead teams recycle and rehash the same coaches and GMs.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Travis Green gets fired... do we hire him??

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

there’s no European GMs.

but, Rickard Grönberg is still out there for a head coaching possibility :cool:

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
From Friedman

6. Doesn’t sound like any immediate announcements are expected in Anaheim — GM Bob Murray and head coach Dallas Eakins have one year remaining on their contracts.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
From Friedman

6. Doesn’t sound like any immediate announcements are expected in Anaheim — GM Bob Murray and head coach Dallas Eakins have one year remaining on their contracts.

Expected. Sometimes I wish I could get in the head of the Samuelis to see what they’re thinking

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
From Friedman

didn't know murray had a year left. i'm guessing the samuelis will just let him remain GM until his contract ends "out of respect for all he's done" or something like that

eakins i wasn't expecting to get fired. he'll be back for sure

Reactions: Arthuros

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Ownership isn't going to pay a coach not to coach again. Eakins for another season.

My guess is Eakins is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league. His salary is not the issue. The issue is you don't hire a new coach unless/until you've hired a new GM. And the ducks will certainly have a new GM in the next 36 months. At the same time, what coach wants to sign a deal with a GM whose on the way out?

In terms of the timing for Murray's departure, I don't know why people are expecting the ducks to change their front office now. Given the imminent expansion draft and regular draft, there is huge downside in making changes at this point. Hard for a new GM to come in and make expansion draft decisions not knowing the roster. In addition, many of the candidates are not available to interview because their teams are still playing.

I view McNab's departure as a very positive step. I don't think he retires if Murray is around as the GM for another year. I think Murray sticks around long enough to tidy up the draft issues, etc., and then takes a promotion upstairs late in the summer.

I'm hoping they hire an outside GM and a coach like Gronborg. Since the ducks generallydon't pay their coaches, I think the higher profile candidates are less likely.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
No, not really and I imagine it's a long way for anyone outside North America to make it as a top executive. Kekäläinen served years as an assistant before taking the reigns of a top team in Finland for three more years before becoming the GM of Columbus. I'm not sure if there's really anyone currently on the same path? I know Pittsburgh has a Swedish AGM who's been in the organization for a long time.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
They’re probably thinking why waste $1 million or $2 million on a coach when they can give away 20x that much to have their name put on a building.

Hey, those buildings are good investments for all of eternity or until you inevitably get cancelled.

Reactions: ADHB

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Who are you guys eyeing as our future GM and HC? I know a lot of people want Madden, but my ideal pick would be Chris McFarland from Colorado. Coach is a bit tougher, no big name coach will likely come here because we aren't near competing, so I'd try developing our own culture, maybe someone like Lane Lambert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->