Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I kinda meant for agm... to kinda mold/train for down the line. I just dont know who we could realistically get to be GM... like most have said nonis seems like obvious 1.
Those Yzerman and Sakic guys are pretty good. But for every two of them you also get a Gretzy as headcoach running the coyotes into the ground, Michael Jordan running the Charlotte Bobcats(hornets) into the ground, Magic Johnson losing it and being kicked out by Lebron.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm not happy with Eakins' inability to tighten up the defensive play. When Bob was interim GM, he was able to tighten up the defense.

In a recent OC Register, Eakins opined about the flaws on the team kept moving about. Bad PP and fixed the PP, but the PK became a problem. Bad PK and fixed the PK, but the offense becomes stagnate. ETC... Not only that, but we're also inconsistent from period(s) within one game.

As for GM Bob, going full youth has stifled the team. Giving them a roster spot as opposed to earning a roster spot has given us headline quotes that some players are taking for granted of playing in the NHL.

I think Bob has too much confidence in Eakins' abilities with the youth. That's Bob's major flaw... having too much confidence in his coaches, which is good and bad. We stayed with BB too long. We stayed with RC version 2.0 too long. Will Eakins be the same? ::: sighs :::

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's too early to blame Eakins. He could be at fault for some things but given Bob's insistence to play guys here even as they stumble most of the year, sprinkled with a few injuries makes it pretty hard to know just what kind of roster you have to try and build your system around. (Does the change in playing style from the beginning of the season to now show that?) Cam is probably having his best year ever and Hampus looks more alive offensively than ever. Given something stable to work with, Eakins would appear to have some ability to coach. I'd prefer seeing him with a stable roster before throwing him under the bus.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I am more than willing to see through this rebuild with Bob one more time. Things were always going to get worse before they got better, I don't know what people expected.

The injuries have really thrown a wrench into making progress this season. What we saw earlier this year vs now is separated by when the injuries started hitting, and we are not close to deep enough to take those blows and keep going effectively.

One thing I do hope, and last week's rumor or whatever helps, is that Bob leverages our position to add talent around the edges or at least lottery ticket picks.

I agree with this. This year was to figure out what we have (and don't). The hope was that the ducks could re-tool. But the truth is that was going to be with players who were drafted late in the first round or lower - not where teams typically find elite talent. There was hope that Steel, Terry, Comtois and others would achieve above the draft level - so far they have not shown that ability/ceiling (though I think Steel can still be a very good play maker).

In the salary cap era, unless you're very lucky with low draft picks, the only way to turnover a roster is through the draft and the burn-off of higher contract players. If the current players aren't yet good enough, the best thing is to get a high draft pick for the next 1-2 years and then sign an elite UFA or two to join the young core. The NY Rangers have done that with some success.

I'm ambivalent about Murray. I have been critical in the past, but in the current situation, I can't find a major fault in what he's done (maybe the Montour and Sprong trades, but those were calculated risks that seemed ok at the time). He targeted Shattenkirk and Faulk but didn't overpay with bad contracts - good on him.

A lot will depend on how Zegras, Tracey, and this year's draft picks pan out. The truth is that the ducks don't have many trade chips, other than salary cap space. If they use that effectively, then I can't really criticize what he's done so far this year.

Murray has committed to stay through the expansion draft and continuity until then makes a lot of sense. Gaming that out takes a lot of planning and negotiations - having an old school GM is not the worst thing for that. That is also when the Getz, Perry and Kesler contracts will be mostly burned off and the team will have some flexibility. I think he will (and should) move on after the expansion and subsequent entry draft.

lol @ these ideas of ducks alum becoming the next GM

yeah lets replace a terrible GM with one who has zero experience. that'll work!

The only former duck who seems to be groomed for a higher position is Marchant. Not sure if he would be a GM, but he's been working the management side for several years.

Reactions: Dryish

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
The only former duck who seems to be groomed for a higher position is Marchant. Not sure if he would be a GM, but he's been working the management side for several years.
This was my thought as well. If anyone will be moving up the ranks, it'll probably be him. But he still doesn't have enough experience to take the reigns fully, so make him AGM under the next guy. I also wouldn't mind Teemu getting involved at some point, but I'd rather see him do some work for the Finnish Nat'l team first to get his feet wet. He seems to only want to work part-time anyways.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
To anyone who’s suggesting Teemu for some sort of management position, why, other than the fact he’s a franchise legend? He’s way too emotional. You would want someone practical and level-headed. That’s why guys like Yzerman are successful (among other reasons).

In general it’s dumb to want former players to take over managing a team, just because they were popular. But I guess if you had to suggest someone, I’d much rather it be someone in the Niedermayer or Beauchemin mold.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
To anyone who’s suggesting Teemu for some sort of management position, why, other than the fact he’s a franchise legend? He’s way too emotional. You would want someone practical and level-headed. That’s why guys like Yzerman are successful (among other reasons).
This 100%. I love the guy, but he would be a terrible GM. I wouldn't mind him being in some kind of front office role, but I would not want him shaping a roster at all.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't even know if Marchant is looking to be a GM, he's been in the same spot for almost a decade. Pronger actually is with Florida and would probably be my bet if they wanted an alumnus for that spot.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If we are picking a russian, mind as well by Ilya Bryzgalov! He can be a Garth Snow 2.0 and we can suck for another decade haha.

Ilya Bryzgalov as GM:
Draft all Russians even ones with red flags that are likely to defect to KHL.
He will serve as both GM and as Haywards replacement.
He will trade for Kovalchuk and make him captain, he will hire former duck Fedorov as head coach !
The Ducks goal song will be from the Russian dance scene in Bill Murray film 'The man who knew too little'

The only positive is him replacing Hayward which will make for very fun Ducks games on TV.

Reactions: cheesymc

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Too lazy to see if it was mentioned but in one of the athletic question things, Stephens speculated that Marchant was being groomed to be Murray’s successor

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Too lazy to see if it was mentioned but in one of the athletic question things, Stephens speculated that Marchant was being groomed to be Murray’s successor

If that's the case it's so weird how they've approached it, unless there's a lot of behind the scenes tutoring we don't know about. Don't know why they wouldn't at least give him some AGM duties, as it is he just deals with prospects.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I don't even know if Marchant is looking to be a GM, he's been in the same spot for almost a decade. Pronger actually is with Florida and would probably be my bet if they wanted an alumnus for that spot.
Pronger is one guy I would not want in that role. I don't think he really does anything in Florida seems to more if a figurehead position.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Why not, just out of curiosity?
Ryan Kesler’s leg several years ago he received only an eight game suspension.
Dean McAmmond’s when Pronger threw an elbow at his head and that pretty much ended his career he thinks its comical and said that McAmmond should have ducked. No remorse for anything.
Just not the quality type of person that you would want representing your front office. Just my opinion.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
If that's the case it's so weird how they've approached it, unless there's a lot of behind the scenes tutoring we don't know about. Don't know why they wouldn't at least give him some AGM duties, as it is he just deals with prospects.
Isn’t Beauch working with Marchant in some capacity in player development? I don’t know if it’s a career path he would choose, but as far as intellect and temperament, he strikes me as someone who could be successful in a front office role.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Ownership has to consider cleaning house. They can't be happy with how our young players are developing

Lol they aren't.

Ryan Kesler’s leg several years ago he received only an eight game suspension.
Dean McAmmond’s when Pronger threw an elbow at his head and that pretty much ended his career he thinks its comical and said that McAmmond should have ducked. No remorse for anything.
Just not the quality type of person that you would want representing your front office. Just my opinion.

That's pretty bad reasoning but ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad