Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Murray's contract runs through the 2021-2022 season, at which time he'll be 67. If the retool goes according to plan, I envision Murray transitioning into a new role alongside McNab (perhaps as president of hockey operations) and Nonis being promoted from within as the new GM.

Should the retool not go according to plan, my hope is the Samueli's move forward without Murray, Nonis, and Eakins. A GM hired from outside the organization would breathe life into an otherwise uninspiring, old management team. Hextall would be the ideal hire, in my opinion. Notwithstanding his loyalty to Hakstol, Hextall's work in Philadelphia is about as good as it gets. Perhaps the biggest impediment to hiring Hextall would be prying him out of LA.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Murray's contract runs through the 2021-2022 season, at which time he'll be 67. If the retool goes according to plan, I envision Murray transitioning into a new role alongside McNab (perhaps as president of hockey operations) and Nonis being promoted from within as the new GM.

Should the retool not go according to plan, my hope is the Samueli's move forward without Murray, Nonis, and Eakins. A GM hired from outside the organization would breathe life into an otherwise uninspiring, old management team. Hextall would be the ideal hire, in my opinion. Notwithstanding his loyalty to Hakstol, Hextall's work in Philadelphia is about as good as it gets. Perhaps the biggest impediment to hiring Hextall would be prying him out of LA.
Please no...I don't want anyone who could be describe as being part of the old school boys club to run this team after BM.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Make no mistake, I'm right there with you. Don't get your hopes though.

I agree, if you keep hiring the same internal guys, or these good old boys, we will never change how we do anything and never have any real, new perspectives. Unfortunately, Nonis is very likely the planned replacement because BM is the type who would promise this to Nonis to keep him around, and hes also a guy (for better or for worse) that almost always keeps to his word. The only way this doesn't happen is if we had an owner that really wants to shake things up and actually cares about winning and not just philanthropy. I'm not even sure if the Samueli's have any real passion for hockey, they just like using the ducks for social outreach and community service (and a nice write off).

Reactions: MilesNewton

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank

Possibly the worst move they could make, but would definitely fit the org's MO of finding the most convenient solution over the right one.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The team got more boring when Getzlaf complained publicly that they needed more dump and chase and less puck possession. Now we have RC style hockey back.

I see Getz insists on being a part of the problem, then...

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Possibly the worst move they could make, but would definitely fit the org's MO of finding the most convenient solution over the right one.
lol i can 100% see them promoting nonis if BM is ever fired. it wouldn't get more ducks than that

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
lol i can 100% see them promoting nonis if BM is ever fired. it wouldn't get more ducks than that
Just wait until new GM Nonis brings Brian Burke back as AGM...with both reporting to BM.

I'll take "How to Ruin a Franchise in 2 Moves, Alex."

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Just wait until new GM Nonis brings Brian Burke back as AGM...with both reporting to BM.

I'll take "How to Ruin a Franchise in 2 Moves, Alex."
they must look outside the organization when it comes time for a new GM

a culture change is needed very badly

Reactions: DigiDuck

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Hmm, I read it in a tweet which slanted it far more than this article seems to, but I can’t find the tweet and I can find this article. It’s very possible what I read mis-stated the intent. Then again, he’s advocating a dump-and-chase because they were losing possession otherwise. I dunno.

Ironic it’s the Blues game.
Captain Ryan Getzlaf reminds Ducks to ‘get pucks deep’ and they respond – Orange County Register
Step 1 in getting pucks deep would be having a system that didn't involve the Dmen regrouping and waiting behind the net for their opponents to get their defense set up nearly every time they regain possession so they could actually push the pace.

Or maybe that's too much to ask for? It's not like they're any good in transition, anyways.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dont we have any alumni that want to be gm....neidermyer and kariya seem pretty smart

Idk what to do at gm tbh.... but i cant do BM anymore...

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Still believe you have to have a mix of vets and SOME young players. You don't win a cup with youth alone.
I would like to see him send some of the younger guys down and bring up some AHL guys who have played in the NHL
They have lost basic skills and confidence and pretty much are not ready. Make a few key trades at the deadline and see what happens the mojo of the team seems to be as low as you can go

Reactions: Quack

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What's with the fascination with alumni? No thanks. Especially guys with zero experience. That's a recipe for disaster.
I cant see how anything can get much worse than last 2 years ...

And thats with a guy with tons of expierence... i dont care bout alumni, id just rather go with new blood... then some recycled old boys club clown

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I cant see how anything can get much worse than last 2 years ...

And thats with a guy with tons of expierence... i dont care bout alumni, id just rather go with new blood... then some recycled old boys club clown
New blood is fine. But guys who have experience at lower levels please. No hero worshiping....see Oilers, Edmonton.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Still believe you have to have a mix of vets and SOME young players. You don't win a cup with youth alone.
I would like to see him send some of the younger guys down and bring up some AHL guys who have played in the NHL
They have lost basic skills and confidence and pretty much are not ready. Make a few key trades at the deadline and see what happens the mojo of the team seems to be as low as you can go
The key is to have the vets and kids all performing simultaneously. You don't win a cup with pure veterans either, as they can wear down.

Just look at the cup team. Were they stacked? Yes. But they were stacked because Penner, Getz and Perry were a formidable 2nd line that early into their careers, while guys like Kunitz and Beauch, who even though they were older, had never really been given a shot so were still wildcards and only in their 2nd years of being every day players. There's a reason the most balanced teams typically get the furthest in the spring.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I am more than willing to see through this rebuild with Bob one more time. Things were always going to get worse before they got better, I don't know what people expected.

The injuries have really thrown a wrench into making progress this season. What we saw earlier this year vs now is separated by when the injuries started hitting, and we are not close to deep enough to take those blows and keep going effectively.

One thing I do hope, and last week's rumor or whatever helps, is that Bob leverages our position to add talent around the edges or at least lottery ticket picks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
New blood is fine. But guys who have experience at lower levels please. No hero worshiping....see Oilers, Edmonton.

I kinda meant for agm... to kinda mold/train for down the line. I just dont know who we could realistically get to be GM... like most have said nonis seems like obvious 1.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Dont we have any alumni that want to be gm....neidermyer and kariya seem pretty smart

Idk what to do at gm tbh.... but i cant do BM anymore...

I can't imagine Kariya would ever want to do anything hockey related as he likes to have a low key life now. Neidermyer would be great but I also don't think he wants to do this yet (hes a type who would fanatically dedicate himself to something like Yzerman).

You know who would be make a fun alumi GM?? Selanne! He is the most likable person, but how he translates his fun-loving personality to building a championship team would be interesting. Some people can balance both, and he seems to be one of those types. I'm not sure if he wants to wait until his kids are older, but I think he would make an interesting GM. It would be great to see a directional change to an offensive minded person. Our old school defensive/puckdumpng mentality is not going to succeed and we need to change, similar to how the NBA has changed to an offensive philosophy ever since the Warriors changed how the game is played.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe we can combine the boards... and see who hates themselves more

It is more of a cognitive dissonance issue...fans hating on a particular player on a daily basis then expecting an irrational return in any trade discussions. Kings fans have perfected it to an art form.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
You know who would be make a fun alumi GM?? Selanne! He is the most likable person, but how he translates his fun-loving personality to building a championship team would be interesting. Some people can balance both, and he seems to be one of those types. I'm not sure if he wants to wait until his kids are older, but I think he would make an interesting GM. It would be great to see a directional change to an offensive minded person. Our old school defensive/puckdumpng mentality is not going to succeed and we need to change, similar to how the NBA has changed to an offensive philosophy ever since the Warriors changed how the game is played.
Selänne has expressed his interest in managing a few times at least (over coaching) in the past, but the dude seems to still enjoy his retirement and good for him. If him or anyone newblood would be appointed as the GM of the Ducks at some point, I'd like them to have some experience of the job first in some level. For multiple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad