Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Saying the Samueli’s have been hemorrhaging money is such an interesting way of framing things. I would bet my life they are richer now than they were in February. To be honest their net worth has probably gone up by at least a couple hundred million

You don’t buy the Anaheim Ducks to improve your income statement. You do it to improve your balance sheet and for the prestige that comes with it. In year 15 of ownership They’ve already done that to the nth degree. This isn’t a situation where they just bought the team last year and have basically zero equity in the franchise.

Seriously, don’t be a sheep for these people

Reactions: Static
Oct 18, 2011
Lol all the 1%ers have gotten wealthier during the pandemic.

Billionaires have gotten rich off this country and its 1 sided economic system god forbid they be asked to give back

Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Huh... guess my long, detailed response earlier in this thread didn't make any sense with you. BTW, your comment is simply trolling if you aren't arguing the idea b/c you're attacking the person. Anyhow, I'll quote my earlier response for educational purposes:

In 2005, the Samueli's bought the Ducks for $70 mil. Today, the Ducks are worth $460 mil. The Samueli's do not possess $460 mil cash on hand, that's the value of the franchise. The $460 mil value is separate from actually running the Ducks, where you have to compare revenue with expenditures. Anaheim isn't bringing in $460 mil each year. According to statista, the Ducks' revenue for 2018-19 was $137 mil. ($134 mil in 2017-18 and $136 mil in 2016-17.) Just for player salaries going into 2020-21 season, the Samueli's will have to pay out over $82.4 mil, as per capfriendly. Using $137 mil projected revenue, player salaries represents 60.1% of the revenue. Add in all the other staff salaries, the overhead cost for maintaining the Honda Center, and other structural updates to the Honda Center, then we can see how the Samueli's are losing millions in running the Ducks just to own the Ducks.​

But let's play out your scenario. Let's have the Samueli's sell the Ducks. Then they don't have to worry about any of the employees as he's no longer beholden to them. It's now onto the new owner. Will that owner be as benevolent? Disney used to own the Ducks, but they sold the Ducks because they were losing money. That's two owners who acknowledge that owning the Ducks are losing money. A new owner would probably move the Ducks elsewhere to where the policies are probably better for generating income as well as move onto a bigger metropolis for a bigger revenue.

Let's go back to Disney. Remember, I have shared with you that Disney owns both Disneyland and Disney World. Disney laid off 28,000 workers because the policy forecast was to remain shutdown in the last September meeting. Once that line of thought was laid down, Disney laid off those workers. The Samueli's waited two more months before laying off 15% of their full time staff with some discretionary money and retains their health care. Please read that again.

It wasn't that long ago that the Ducks were thought to be one of the attrition teams from the NHL. Yet, the Samueli's still want to keep the team and keep the team in Anaheim while incurring a loss. The yearly finance to run the Ducks produces a double digit millions deficit. If the Ducks earn $137 mil in one year, but they spent $150 mil in that same year, then they are in a $13 mil deficit. The Samueli's lost $13 mil by owning the Ducks in this example. Apparently, the Samueli's have never broken even while owning the Ducks.

Let's say the value of your house was $200k in 2005. Your yearly salary was $50k, or $4.16k a month. But because your house was built in 1970s, the a/c system is old and requires too much power to run. On your current salary and your expenditures, you just barely break even during the winter months. When summer comes, your a/c unit causes you to have a $300 deficit for four months. So you either try to work overtime or borrow money from relatives. You don't have enough money to purchase a new $20k a/c system. You are stuck in this pattern for a decade, but you're now able to mitigate that $300 a/c bump for four months with higher pay and you save the other eight months to pay for the increase in a/c unit summer running cost. In your tenth year of ownership, the value of your house skyrockets to half a mil. Technically, you half a millionaire because of your house, but you are barely breaking even based upon your yearly revenue and expenditures. Sure, you can take out a home equity loan, but it's a loan. You are just a third into paying off your mortgage still.

Now, you are considered a half a millionaire because of the value of your house. Do you have that money on hand right now? No. You can get it, but you'd have to sell the house. You cannot generate any more money from the house you sold, but you do have that cash on hand now. You can be very generous now and give it to others, but once that money is spent, then you're back to your usual salary... you know, the one you struggled to survive on purchasing a $200k home for a decade.

I hope that helps to explain just how fortunate we are to have the Samueli's as our owners. Sure the value of the house or Ducks org has risen over the years, but cost to run it is in the double digit millions deficit year after year. Despite knowing the loss in money, the Samueli's are still generous. No way of generating any money for 9 months, but they've been paying thousands for several months. In the housing example, if you lost your job for nine months before the value of the house rose and have no other source of revenue, then you'd have to foreclose because you couldn't pay the housing payment.

Yet, you bring up the value of the Ducks. Are you asking the Samueli's to sell the Ducks? Because that's the only way they get that money. I'd rather have the Samueli's generating revenue so they can continue being philanthropic. There is no need to change the economic system, especially with owners like the Samueli's. We just need to change the policy on being able to generate revenue because money doesn't grow on trees.

But I do find it ironic with you stating, "This is the kind of rhetoric for people who take no accountability for their actions." You do know people make their own choice in life on what they want to do in life. If they want to be a part-time worker, then that is their choice. If they want to be a nurse, then that's their choice too. If they want to start up a microchip business, then that's their choice too. Equality of opportunity is there. I simply disagree with you on equality of outcomes.

The Samueli's could have sold the Ducks once they discovered they are losing money owning the ducks. Fifteen years later, they're still losing millions year after year, but I don't ever see them selling the Ducks at all. There's a comfort in that as a fan. And before this pandemic hit, there's a comfort in all employed under the hockey side of the Samueli's business. Brought the Gulls west, which created a Pacific AHL division. Created the Rinks to develop a hockey community in the OC. And was planning on making area around the Honda Center an entertainment area called the OCvibe. The Samueli's are in it for the long haul in the OC. They're doing things at the macro and micro levels to help many, which means creating employment opportunities.

But, hey, knock on the philanthropic owners because you don't understand valuation and yearly running costs are two separate entities as well as the policies of the pandemic has shutdown generating any revenue for over nine months. You're in charge of your own self and immediate family. That's it. The Samueli's are in charge of several companies, which means thousands of families. Your solution... sell the companies. Yeah... I don't subscribe to that thought at all. I'd rather see more people protest in CA to open up the state so they can start generating revenue again, hopefully enough revenue to start re-hiring once again.

Amazon is hiring like crazy. Why? Did you ask that question to yourself? If not why? But, hey, take enjoyment that a So Cal owner is mad due to policy, a policy that can end her business as well as the employment of her staff. I sincerely thought this example was direct proof of keeping employees employed is tied to policy. If you couldn't comprehend that, then this will be the last input I share with you on this subject. Enjoy your day.
The fact that you think selling companies is the only monetary way to take advantage of the valuation of said businesses is extremely telling. You have no idea what you are talking about and you spend far too many words proving it.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Thanks. It’s tough but what do you do but dig in

like I said. I respect and in a lot ways agree with some of what you are saying.
I’d like to think I would do what you are stating for the employees if I had the resources.

sounds like you would (or do)

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Lol all the 1%ers have gotten wealthier during the pandemic.

Billionaires have gotten rich off this country and its 1 sided economic system god forbid they be asked to give back

They've gotten wealthier because they invest, not because they're making more money. They made smart financial decisions which you and I could do as well.

Anyone who has invested during this time period of the pandemic has increased their wealth by a fair bit % wise. Hell even people who bought into cryptocurrency have increased their wealth.

The majority of Americans do not spend/budget in a fiscally responsible manner which is a large part of why so many Americans live paycheque to paycheque but that's a whole other topic.

Oct 18, 2011
They've gotten wealthier because they invest, not because they're making more money. They made smart financial decisions which you and I could do as well.

Anyone who has invested during this time period of the pandemic has increased their wealth by a fair bit % wise. Hell even people who bought into cryptocurrency have increased their wealth.

The majority of Americans do not spend/budget in a fiscally responsible manner which is a large part of why so many Americans live paycheque to paycheque but that's a whole other topic.
The majority of Americans have not had their wages go up at the same rate as productivity, the 1 percenters own more of the stock market than they ever have, there is absolutely a completely lopsided economic system in this country and Covid was the trigger point to put it all on display in plain view

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

So incorrect that it’s sad.
I am a fiscally conservative person. I save my money, invest in my 401K, have invested in real estate. Don’t make amazing money but can’t complain. I will still feel lucky to live a comfortable retirement from 65 on.

The bottom line is the capital gains tax has to go up. It doesn’t take a genius investor to make 10% in the stock market. That means you have people with hundreds of millions sitting there collecting tens of millions per year for doing nothing. In what way is that efficient for the economy or fair for the rest of the population? Where does it end? Nothing about that takes smarts or hard work. Just because they may have “earned” some of the money at some point doesn’t mean it should go on without a limit

They’ll still be the richest people in the country/world. The issue is HOW MUCH richer than everyone else they are, and that it keeps increasing.

Reactions: Paul4587 and Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

And yet, here they are laying off and firing employees. How anyone can defend that juxtaposition is just incredible.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
So incorrect that it’s sad.
I am a fiscally conservative person. I save my money, invest in my 401K, have invested in real estate. Don’t make amazing money but can’t complain. I will still feel lucky to live a comfortable retirement from 65 on.

The bottom line is the capital gains tax has to go up. It doesn’t take a genius investor to make 10% in the stock market. That means you have people with hundreds of millions sitting there collecting tens of millions per year for doing nothing. In what way is that efficient for the economy or fair for the rest of the population? Where does it end? Nothing about that takes smarts or hard work. Just because they may have “earned” some of the money at some point doesn’t mean it should go on without a limit

They’ll still be the richest people in the country/world. The issue is HOW MUCH richer than everyone else they are, and that it keeps increasing.

To make 10% year over year in the stock market is actually fairly difficult. 95% of people who invest can't do that consistently Y/Y. If everyone could do it we wouldn't have this convo about needing to support others.

My post wasnt at you specifically but I've seen from experience (reviewing tens of thousands of families finances) that poor financial habits is indeed the case for the vast majority of files that I've seen.

Perhaps this is the reason why I'm less critical of billionaires and more critical of the general population as I've seen too many people quite frankly just be dumb with how they spend.

Income is not the main problem for most people in this country, it's that they spend on materialistic frivolous items, instead of saving/budgeting early (20s/30s) they only really start to make an honest effort in their late 40s/early 50s if that.

With proper budgeting saving/investing anyone should be able to retire with a decent lifestyle by 60 and most definitely by 65 assuming they're making a somewhat decent wage (from my experience reviewing)

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Both of these can be true:
-Billionaires can be selfish and treat their employees badly
-The rest of us can make poor decisions which result in economic problems for us
The second isn't always a result of the first. Blaming others for our own circumstance accomplishes nothing positive. I wish people (especially the wealthy) were more generous, but I'm not naive. Selfishness is a human condition that isn't going anywhere.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
To make 10% year over year in the stock market is actually fairly difficult. 95% of people who invest can't do that consistently Y/Y. If everyone could do it we wouldn't have this convo about needing to support others.

My post wasnt at you specifically but I've seen from experience (reviewing tens of thousands of families finances) that poor financial habits is indeed the case for the vast majority of files that I've seen.

Perhaps this is the reason why I'm less critical of billionaires and more critical of the general population as I've seen too many people quite frankly just be dumb with how they spend.

Income is not the main problem for most people in this country, it's that they spend on materialistic frivolous items, instead of saving/budgeting early (20s/30s) they only really start to make an honest effort in their late 40s/early 50s if that.

With proper budgeting saving/investing anyone should be able to retire with a decent lifestyle by 60 and most definitely by 65 assuming they're making a somewhat decent wage (from my experience reviewing)
The Dow Jones has averaged 8% over the last 40 years. So even assuming these billionaires are just getting run of the mill ROI(which they obviously aren’t), they are still making 8 million bucks on every 100 million they have invested.

That’s not for working hard or doing anything efficient that leads the economy in a better direction.

how is that fair when the average joe works his ass off for 150 grand even if he’s a successful/smart/driven person who goes to work for 50 hours per week?

you really don’t see that if that continues on the separation will continue to worsen?

Reactions: Static and Paul4587

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

This is a textbook example of how the people making 1m-a-year have convinced those making 100k-a-year that the people making 30k-a-year are the problem.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This is a textbook example of how the people making 1m-a-year have convinced those making 100k-a-year that the people making 30k-a-year are the problem.
ENN4fJcUEAAUotI.jpg

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
TFB people who work for the Samuelis, should have budgeted harder in your 20s/30s, because I guess none of you are young and all of you definitely budgeted poorly. Dipshits out here buying clothes and food and other nonsense while the billionaires were spending sensibly(?!). THAT MAKES SENSE *head explodes*

Reactions: Paul4587 and Static

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
The Dow Jones has averaged 8% over the last 40 years. So even assuming these billionaires are just getting run of the mill ROI(which they obviously aren’t), they are still making 8 million bucks on every 100 million they have invested.

That’s not for working hard or doing anything efficient that leads the economy in a better direction.

how is that fair when the average joe works his ass off for 150 grand even if he’s a successful/smart/driven person who goes to work for 50 hours per week?

you really don’t see that if that continues on the separation will continue to worsen?

To your point of the actual act of investing not working hard or bettering the economy I agree with. The fact that we can throw this made up currency into a "buy and sell" where nothing really happens except for computer transactions and that it can somehow generate ridiculous amounts of wealth is pretty asinine and nuts.

Where it's "fair" though to me is the fact that there is no barrier to entry and anyone can do it. As you mentioned, anyone can buy the index and just grow their wealth that way. More people need to utilize these tools available to them.

As for the average joe busting their ass for 150G at 50 hour weeks, I truly view that as a privilege. That is very solid income and if done right, he/she could retire in their 50s with millions in the bank.

Entrepreneurs work 80-100 hour weeks for 0 income as they try and get their business off the ground. The success rate is tiny and for the ones that make it past the 2 year mark and grow it to something special, I do say more power to them.

To make it clear, I'm not in either of those camps, I work 40-60 hour weeks making a mediocre 60-70G depending on the year. Before anyone believes I'm somehow in their club and defending "my own"

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
To your point of the actual act of investing not working hard or bettering the economy I agree with. The fact that we can throw this made up currency into a "buy and sell" where nothing really happens except for computer transactions and that it can somehow generate ridiculous amounts of wealth is pretty asinine and nuts.

Where it's "fair" though to me is the fact that there is no barrier to entry and anyone can do it. As you mentioned, anyone can buy the index and just grow their wealth that way. More people need to utilize these tools available to them.

As for the average joe busting their ass for 150G at 50 hour weeks, I truly view that as a privilege. That is very solid income and if done right, he/she could retire in their 50s with millions in the bank.

Entrepreneurs work 80-100 hour weeks for 0 income as they try and get their business off the ground. The success rate is tiny and for the ones that make it past the 2 year mark and grow it to something special, I do say more power to them.

To make it clear, I'm not in either of those camps, I work 40-60 hour weeks making a mediocre 60-70G depending on the year. Before anyone believes I'm somehow in their club and defending "my own"

Just means you're brainwashed lol.

But seriously, you're missing a serious point with the barrier to entry thing. Anyone theoretically can but it takes money to make money and if you don't have it already then it doesn't mean anything. That doesn't account for any riskier propositions, either.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s

My 150K scenario was more meant to reinforce the fact that even if you are tremendously successful compared to the average income, you are still at such a severe disadvantage compared to these people that it has become impossible (or damn near it)to catch up.

The no barriers to entry thing is where your argument goes completely off the rails to me. There are massive barriers to entry when you barely have the capital to scrape by week to week and support your kids, let alone take the risk of starting a business.

Once again, The idea that since they took the risk at some specific point in time of starting a business means that its fully okay for their risk to increase without bound for the rest of their lives, their kids lives, their grandkids lives, etc is where we have a seriously f***ed up problem in this country.

I find it weird that you agree that the passive income they make in their investments is unfair. Yet you defend their wealth overall. That’s the root of the issue. They became wealthy from their business. But the majority of their wealth today and in the future is ultimately from their investments in a sports franchise, real estate, stock market, etc

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Well apparently the franchise value fell 4% this year, meaning its only gone up by 515% since they bought it instead of 540%. Better not sleep too easy yet.
I don't think Tiny Tim will be resting easy any time soon. Well, that may not be true.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Hope we hear from BM soon, GMs are starting to speak to the media.

Here's his statement:

“This has been a day we have been eagerly waiting for since March, so needless to say we are excited about our return,” Anaheim general manager Bob Murray said in a statement. “We are well-prepared, healthy and ready to take a major step forward this year. While we will miss our fans and the atmosphere at Honda Center, we know they will be watching. We look forward to seeing our supporters again in-person as soon as deemed safe by health officials.”

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Here's his statement:

“This has been a day we have been eagerly waiting for since March, so needless to say we are excited about our return,” Anaheim general manager Bob Murray said in a statement. “We are well-prepared, healthy and ready to take a major step forward this year. While we will miss our fans and the atmosphere at Honda Center, we know they will be watching. We look forward to seeing our supporters again in-person as soon as deemed safe by health officials.”
I mean actually answering questions from the media and giving actual updates as to what's going on, who will be at camp, etc, not just a generic statement about the season starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad