Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He was about as good as his career average in 2 seasons here. 7pts in 12 playoff games. Failed miserably is too strong.

Had Smyth not wanted to return to Edmonton the Kings were stuck with his $6.2 million dollar cap hit for a 35 year old 45 point player who couldn't move and didn't have the ability or desire to play anything resembling two-way hockey. $6.2 cap hit in 2010 is the equivalent of a $9.15 mill cap hit today. The decision to bring in someone that old with that big a hit was poor and shortsighted, but another example of Lombardi's obsession with that type of player.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Had Smyth not wanted to return to Edmonton the Kings were stuck with his $6.2 million dollar cap hit for a 35 year old 45 point player who couldn't move and didn't have the ability or desire to play anything resembling two-way hockey. $6.2 cap hit in 2010 is the equivalent of a $9.15 mill cap hit today. The decision to bring in someone that old with that big a hit was poor and shortsighted, but another example of Lombardi's obsession with that type of player.

Because who knew Richards and Carter would become available one day back in 2009.

That's the thing with rebuilding. You kind of have to take what you can get at times. We keep ripping on Blake for not taking more chances, and just relying on sucking for picks. Well. On the off chance that Carter didn't want to cry his way out of Columbus, there's no Cup, as despite giving up as much as they did for Richards, he was not enough.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Because who knew Richards and Carter would become available one day back in 2009.

That's the thing with rebuilding. You kind of have to take what you can get at times. We keep ripping on Blake for not taking more chances, and just relying on sucking for picks. Well. On the off chance that Carter didn't want to cry his way out of Columbus, there's no Cup, as despite giving up as much as they did for Richards, he was not enough.

I don't disagree with the last part, the Kings were very lucky to get Carter and very lucky that they whiffed on Drury, Gomez, Briere etc. But Smyth's contract was massive for what he brought, and you factor in his age, it just made no sense for a player who's entire value was based on how many points he scored. Hockey fans have a tendency to label certain type of players as bad defensively, usually Europeans or players who are "soft", Ryan Smyth was not European and wasn't soft but he was one of the worst defensive forwards the Kings have ever had.

In general, since the lockout of 04 it has usually not been a successful strategy to acquire and pay huge money to guys who are in their mid 30's.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't disagree with the last part, the Kings were very lucky to get Carter and very lucky that they whiffed on Drury, Gomez, Briere etc. But Smyth's contract was massive for what he brought, and you factor in his age, it just made no sense for a player who's entire value was based on how many points he scored. Hockey fans have a tendency to label certain type of players as bad defensively, usually Europeans or players who are "soft", Ryan Smyth was not European and wasn't soft but he was one of the worst defensive forwards the Kings have ever had.

In general, since the lockout of 04 it has usually not been a successful strategy to acquire and pay huge money to guys who are in their mid 30's.

DL wanted that forward momentum though. Got Williams, Smyth, and Scuderi within a couple months of each other in 2009. Starting to push the group once they knew they were getting Doughty the year prior. Traded Visnovsky for 2 roll players since Doughty was going to step right in as an 18 year old. Kopitar a 22 year old 3 year veteran by that time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Alright, so they just sort of need a guy like Foligno.
No, they badly need someone like him. It isn't like God broke the mold when he made Foligno. There are other players in the NHL like him who could be obtained in a trade, if necessary.

Perhaps Blake should look at teams which go deep into the playoffs this season and are cap strapped to find a vet who fits the bill.

Reactions: DryIslandBartender
Jun 30, 2006

I understood the move to get Smyth, make the younger players see how Smyth operates. He was “Captain Canada” after all. As someone else mentioned, DL needed to push the young guys, needed leadership in that room, so they can learn to win. Smyth was productive on the Kings, think he was third or fourth in scoring but he was a liability on D, sure.

Fortunately, he didn’t like living in LA and didn’t think the schools were good enough for his kids. We got Colin Fraser in return and won a cup without him, Smyth later said it was tough to watch and his career went into decline.

Reactions: dick341 and KINGS17

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I understood the move to get Smyth, make the younger players see how Smyth operates. He was “Captain Canada” after all. As someone else mentioned, DL needed to push the young guys, needed leadership in that room, so they can learn to win. Smyth was productive on the Kings, think he was third or fourth in scoring but he was a liability on D, sure.

Fortunately, he didn’t like living in LA and didn’t think the schools were good enough for his kids. We got Colin Fraser in return and won a cup without him, Smyth later said it was tough to watch and his career went into decline.

A total myth & Canadian media creation. If he were Russian he'd be considered another Yashin, but he's Western Canadian and has a mullet so they drool over him.

But they sure did learn one thing from him, both Doughty and Kopitar got every penny they possibly could in their extensions. Not that I blame them, it is their career. Everything Smyth did in his career was to maximize his salary, he left the place he supposedly loved more than any other over a couple hundred k, signed with the highest bidder that summer then left a pretty good team to return to the Oilers because that was his best path to another extension. It was never about his kids schools, another in a career full of lies, if it were he wouldn't have talked of leaving there again at the deadline that season when they again were at a contract impasse. Atleast there were no fake tears that time. Smyth would have played hockey in Mogadishu if it came with the highest salary.

Even though they only had him for a short time, Richards was what the media thought Smyth was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt Dan

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No, they badly need someone like him. It isn't like God broke the mold when he made Foligno. There are other players in the NHL like him who could be obtained in a trade, if necessary.

Perhaps Blake should look at teams which go deep into the playoffs this season and are cap strapped to find a vet who fits the bill.

At a reasonable price.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Smyth coming in was the right call. LA had no luck getting UFAs (still don't) and had no other large cap commitments. When LA made that deal I bet three buddies $50 each LA was making the playoffs that year.
When he demanded a trade and pigeon held DL to one team I was pissed at Smyth. I still am for some dumb reason, as it could not have worked out better. Cap space saved from Smyth was used on Carter. Fraser worked out as a 4th line center, and Brule probably would have been crap.
Smyth's style of play back when he was acquired was the style of play that worked in the NHL at the time.

Reactions: KINGS17

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
At least we know what we are now. Not very good. Blake has assembled the prospects, kept some veterans, and provided some organizational direction. I think some fans,myself included, had hopes of some meaningful hockey this year. And to be fair, I think some players did as well. And that's what the Org wanted, higher expectations from both. It's the right approach. It may blow up in their face short term, but the end game is all that matters. I'm still not convinced Tmac is our guy, but that will work it self out over time. I expect to see some of our young guys get their cups of coffee soon,I think the Carter trade was the precursor to that.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If we believe the Mayor, Byfield will be playing for thr Kings on 4/26 on a bonus reverse retro night.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Smyth coming in was the right call. LA had no luck getting UFAs (still don't) and had no other large cap commitments. When LA made that deal I bet three buddies $50 each LA was making the playoffs that year.
When he demanded a trade and pigeon held DL to one team I was pissed at Smyth. I still am for some dumb reason, as it could not have worked out better. Cap space saved from Smyth was used on Carter. Fraser worked out as a 4th line center, and Brule probably would have been crap.
Smyth's style of play back when he was acquired was the style of play that worked in the NHL at the time.

Cap space saved from Smyth was used up by Richards and Gagne. Pretty sure DL knew he was getting rid if Smyth before getting Richards. If Gagne doesn't get hurt, Carter probably isn't a King. Brown never moves to LW, and there's nowhere to put Carter.

Of course Richards wasn't supposed to completely break down so quickly either, so Carter wouldn't have been needed as the 2C in 2014.

We know DL lived his Dmen, and I'm sure he would've enjoyed heading into the 2012 playoffs with 7 guys. They lucked out that all 6 remaining defensemen never got hurt(unlike 2014), otherwise Drewiske is in a playoff game or series.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I want the Kings blow the wad and sign Dougie Hamilton to a long term contract this offseason, if Hamilton becomes available. Exactly the kind of player that the Kings need. Excellent defender (a minuscule 1.7 GA/60 at 5 vs. 5 this season), great size, very good skater for his size, and a bomb of a shot. He's only 27, so he and Doughty could form the backbone of the D for years. Dougie and Doughty. I like the sound of that.

Carolina has the cap space to sign him, but they're also a penny-pinching team. If Hamilton hits the market, the Kings should push their chips in and make a splash. Turn the weak back end into a strength.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I want the Kings blow the wad and sign Dougie Hamilton to a long term contract this offseason, if Hamilton becomes available. Exactly the kind of player that the Kings need. Excellent defender (a minuscule 1.7 GA/60 at 5 vs. 5 this season), great size, very good skater for his size, and a bomb of a shot. He's only 27, so he and Doughty could form the backbone of the D for years. Dougie and Doughty. I like the sound of that.

Carolina has the cap space to sign him, but they're also a penny-pinching team. If Hamilton hits the market, the Kings should push their chips in and make a splash. Turn the weak back end into a strength.

I thought about it as well but he plays the same side as Doughty and Roy. Not sure it's a good fit. The Kings need someone like him on the left side.

Reactions: YP44

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

I would love it, but we are historically not the destination of the prized free agents

Sincerely,

Brad Richards
2010 Ilya K
Chara
Etc

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Overpaying some for a "culture signing" would be fine with me. This team badly needs a player like Foligno.

Well, since I specified it would have to be a cap strapped team, it would be a reasonable price. It's not like Blake doesn't have a surplus of 3rd and 4th round picks laying around.

That was what I originally responded to. If you had more caveats in another post, I missed them, my bad.

If you badly need something, you have to throw caution to the wind. Have to take a risk. Have to add an extra year that other teams won't to get a 30+ year old with a recent concussion type risk.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought about it as well but he plays the same side as Doughty and Roy. Not sure it's a good fit. The Kings need someone like him on the left side.

From another perspective, that would move Roy to the 3rd pairing (beastly), Walker to another side or out of the lineup, and instantly turn Faber/Grans/Durzi into high end poker chips (not that I WANT to trade them, just spitballing).

Doughty-Anderson
Hamilton-Bjornfot
Roy-Clague
Strand

absolute fire, all mobile and good two way with some offensive pop.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yippee. And when he doesn't score in his debut we can then have everyone who already says he's a bust double down because they've finally seen him play a game.

Who on our board has called Byfield a bust? "Everyone" seems to imply it's many people, so who is it? Some people wanted a different player taken, criticism doesn't mean someone thinks someone is a bust.

I was on the Byfield train so this doesn't apply to me, but I've been accused of calling Turcotte a "bust" just because I don't think his play is ever going to warrant the draft capital used to take him. So I'm guessing the same thing is happening to someone like Frolov 63 who hyped up Stutzle. It's lazy and dishonest.

There is a huge gap between criticism of a player or pick and calling someone a bust.

Reactions: Gjwrams

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
From another perspective, that would move Roy to the 3rd pairing (beastly), Walker to another side or out of the lineup, and instantly turn Faber/Grans/Durzi into high end poker chips (not that I WANT to trade them, just spitballing).

Doughty-Anderson
Hamilton-Bjornfot
Roy-Clague
Strand

absolute fire, all mobile and good two way with some offensive pop.
Yaaaassss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad