Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Just wanted to stick up for my guy MacD.

Yes, he took a step back this season. The numbers don't lie. He sucked. That said, any of you that want to say the Kings are a playoff team if he didn't play at all have had a lot of air let out of that balloon by seeing this team play like trash without him as well.

Roy in his exit interview saying he gets excited being paired with MacDermid just once again reiterates my point that he is a real character guy on a team that seems devoid of character. He wasn't given the two year contract because he was going to be the key piece of a Cup contender: it was a reward for the work that he has put in for years and because that work is something that Management wants the young guys to see and be around.

Blake never expected contention this year so MacDermid playing a lot of games doesn't matter. I would hope that those crucifying MacDermid can now be at a point where they can see that this team's issue wasn't MacDermid playing instead of Clague but rather that it just isn't good enough top-to-bottom no matter who is playing in place of MacDermid. As a matter of fact, the Kings should have a better draft pick thanks to Kurtis and who cares if they won four more games? They finished 14 points out of the playoffs haha.

Guy has a cap hit of $875,000. We'll see what the off-season brings but I think the Kings will be perfectly fine to carry him again as the #7D that plays maybe 30 games or they send him down and have ZERO problems paying him that $875k to be a total professional and bad-ass down in Ontario. Captain material. I think the latter is a real possibility and, if that happens, there is real value to it and it is completely worth the contract and every goal against that can be pinned on him this past season.
was interesting he went out of his way to mention being excited about playing with mac. don't really have much to add besides what you said. dude's a team guy and a good soldier.. we need that around in some form

i'd like to see some retraction from people about mac after these last couple abortions of games where he didn't play, but i'm sure they won't

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
was interesting he went out of his way to mention being excited about playing with mac. don't really have much to add besides what you said. dude's a team guy and a good soldier.. we need that around in some form

i'd like to see some retraction from people about mac after these last couple abortions of games where he didn't play, but i'm sure they won't
Retraction? He sucks and is the worst player in the league.
Rangers should trade for him so he can beat up Wilson every time they play the Caps.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Everyone clamoring for a big name to make the team a playoff team on paper is missing that those moves often fail. The Caps lost Williams, Shattenkirk, Johanson, Schmidt and others in the summer of 2017. They signed Smith-Pelly and allowed younger guys to move up. They traded for little used Lemony at the deadline and won the cup. You don't need big trades and mega contract free agents to make big improvements. Heck, who was the big King signing in 2017 that put them in the playoffs? Folin?

Jun 30, 2006
You’re overthinking a fluff end of season courtesy email thanking fans. It reads like something composed from their public relations staff. Anyone who reads anymore into this is really reaching to find something to complain about.

His name is attached to it, so yeah he approved that statement. Ever since he took over it’s been all fluff with this org.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Doughty is as sick as the rest of us of the team not being competitive but they better not make decisions based on what he wants. These things can't be forced. Buffalo has been going for short term fixes in free agency ever since signing Ville Leino what, almost ten years ago? Make smart moves even if that means no moves at all, or else the Kings will end up in the same boat.

Hopefully the Kings can find and acquire some pieces that fit this summer and if they don't, be patient. Even though it really, really sucks.

That's actually the exact opposite. Doughty should have a say in where he wants the team to go since he has been a King and is still our best defenseman AINEC. The Kings actually need vets with leadership. He's not wrong about what this team needs. Either the team sucks next year and they lose Doughty to potentially a trade. Or they make a trade for Eichel or Dahlin which will logically make the Kings better and keep Doughty happy. He has a lot more leverage than you think. He's a very outspoken guy who has more pride than the entire team combined. If he wants to leave, which he will, then our top dman is Matt Roy..? Lol.

Reactions: tomd

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
That's actually the exact opposite. Doughty should have a say in where he wants the team to go since he has been a King and is still our best defenseman AINEC. The Kings actually need vets with leadership. He's not wrong about what this team needs. Either the team sucks next year and they lose Doughty to potentially a trade. Or they make a trade for Eichel or Dahlin which will logically make the Kings better and keep Doughty happy. He has a lot more leverage than you think. He's a very outspoken guy who has more pride than the entire team combined. If he wants to leave, which he will, then our top dman is Matt Roy..? Lol.

Doughty is a player, not a manager.

The organization does need leadership, but they need it to start coming from the next core.

Reactions: 21Dog

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Doughty is a player, not a manager.

The organization does need leadership, but they need it to start coming from the next core.
But they also need to bridge the gap between the older players and the younger players. Eichel would be a good bridge player who is undoubtedly a difference maker on this team, and would also help steer the younger players. All while taking pressure off the current core. Yeah we do need a new core, but there's a likelihood that the new core will need a jump start. There's a disconnect on this team, and we're all seeing it.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Have to move Kopitar this summer otherwise it’ll be too late. It’s already too late to not retain any of his salary unless they want to expose him to Seattle, but won’t get anything in return.
The only way I could see it is if Vegas bounces Colorado and the Avs decide to go all-in on next year. Might be able to squeeze a top defender out of them. Short of that, no need to bring anything to Anze. If he asks out, that's a completely different proposition

Jun 30, 2006
The only way I could see it is if Vegas bounces Colorado and the Avs decide to go all-in on next year. Might be able to squeeze a top defender out of them. Short of that, no need to bring anything to Anze. If he asks out, that's a completely different proposition

If I had to guess, and if we landed Eichel. Kopitar will probably end up in New York with the Rags.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
If I had to guess, and if we landed Eichel. Kopitar will probably end up in New York with the Rags.
Kopitar isn't being traded if we land Eichel. Has 3 years left, and 0 prospects will need a big pay raise until then. Our biggest Free agent this offseason is AA. Next season is Kempe and Vilardi. We are fine Cap wise. Bigger issue would be about who moves to the wing and how do we fit all our centers in our line up effectively.

Kopitar is likely going to be productive for a long time. Look at Bergeron. He is almost 3 years older than Kopitar and just put up near PPG numbers. Similar styles.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Kopitar isn't being traded if we land Eichel. Has 3 years left, and 0 prospects will need a big pay raise until then. Our biggest Free agent this offseason is AA. Next season is Kempe and Vilardi. We are fine Cap wise. Bigger issue would be about who moves to the wing and how do we fit all our centers in our line up effectively.

Kopitar is likely going to be productive for a long time. Look at Bergeron. He is almost 3 years older than Kopitar and just put up near PPG numbers. Similar styles.
Bergeron never skates like he’s got a piano strapped to his back though. Kopitar has played a lot of very hard minutes over his career. I think when he comes crashing down it’s going to happen quite suddenly.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree.

But Pastrnak and Marchand >>>>>>>>> anything Kopitar has ever had.

Hell Marchand on one leg and a chia pet at RW >>>>>>>>>>>

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Bergeron never skates like he’s got a piano strapped to his back though. Kopitar has played a lot of very hard minutes over his career. I think when he comes crashing down it’s going to happen quite suddenly.

thats the reason we need to bring in talent. It’s not to try and lead the team but more to complement Kopitar and Doughty and that allows us to reduce their ice time keeping them fresher. Doughty could be the next Chelios and play until he’s 45. He has that drive and can log those minutes.

neither player is a bone crusher, a speed skater or an injury case. They are both cerebral players and there may be no signs of rapid slow down for a while.

we trade them our youth gets slaughtered.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Agreed, he can't even finish a 56 game season with energy. Can't imagine what next year will look like for him, expecially in the 2nd half.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Have to move Kopitar this summer otherwise it’ll be too late. It’s already too late to not retain any of his salary unless they want to expose him to Seattle, but won’t get anything in return.
Hey, I was fine with moving Kopitar before he received his retirement contract. I just don't think it will happen. My comment was more about between Kopitar and Doughty, there are better chances of Kopitar taking a short-term, lower cost deal to stick around after their existing deal is up.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

Bergeron in his entire career never had to carry the Bruins offense by himself. He’s always had depth and wingers to help out.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Drew is delusional if he thinks Carter was carrying linemates or responsible in his own end this year.
He dropped a couple of doozies. Also said that they don't need any help on defense, which is perfectly accurate if they are willing to wait a bit for the playoffs he is craving. But if he wants playoffs next year, they need two veterans, one an impact puck moving LHD, and the other a 6'3" crease clearer.

I don't know what direction they want to go for the impact guy, but I would definitely look into Bogosian or revisit Luke Schenn on a short termer.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Our best players in every key positions are not able to force their game on any opponent team of the league.
Since years our 1st line isn't able to dominate or even remotely control the game.

I don't see any value keeping those guys around.
If any they show our youngsters what not to do. But this is hardly value.

Same with the coaching staff. Since years and years we have the same kind of guy. No creativity, entering the o-zone at the board, dump in, if winning the corner pass back to defense.
This is not hockey. People played that style 40 years ago.
We need a fresh young unknown coach who knows that a hockey rink has another end beside the own goal.
Someone why skips training units but forced everyone to watch Avalanche games without any end.
This is future hockey, fast aggressive and any player on the roster is able to beat the opponent 1 on 1.
Our recent coach has a history to create nothing else but choking artists, so he is not the answer.

In short, i am sick and tired of Kopitar and Doughty. Trade them would contribute way more to the Kings than having those crying babies around.
The reality is, we are in full swing rebuild mode. We better do not destroy any progress with short term fixes
Brutal post lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad