Avatars: 2020-21 HFSJ Series 1 Collectible Trading Avatars (main claims/distribution/info thread)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
***Sorry, this is going to be a lengthy explanatory post. There's a short, short version at the very bottom if you don't want to read my explanation full of asides and flippant commentary***

0HLB2z.png

Well, it's almost (maybe) time for hockey again (hopefully). But it's also going to be January before things get started (allegedly) and it's a mighty weird time to be a hockey fan. Weird enough that we could use a little fun, and not so weird that it should stop an important HF Sharks tradition, which brings me to why we're here:

Yep, with a season maybe close it's time to get geared up for 20/21. Or is it just "...-21" if they start in January? But since the boredom of months without Sharks hockey, the omnipresent coronavirus, and the continuing malaise of the Sharks being kinda bad at their job lately has made things a little less fun I decided that we needed something a little different to work as a pick-me-up.

That got me thinking: What's one of the fun parts of being a fan? Besides screaming at the TV and steadfastly arguing that you know better than everyone invovled in the game while arguing with complete strangers on the internet?

Well, if you're a kid it might be the simpler times of getting and opening up a pack of hockey cards. And that's what I wanted to replicate. Only without the annoying part where stupid people treat it like an investment and change the market so that it's not for hobbyists anymore and is more for cynical speculators looking to make a buck while driving casual collectors out of the game because of prices and distribution. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :laugh:

So here's the gist of the idea:

Instead of having a draft where everyone picks a single design that's theirs and theirs alone, or having a set of 20-30 designs and giving everyone free reign to use whatever, I've done something that's probably going to be viewed as being kind of insane.

I made lots of avatars. Like A LOT a lot. Like several hundred. And I'm not exaggerating for effect. I've had pretty much the last 7-10 months to work on this, and I made the most of that time.

The avatars were then randomized into virtual packs of cards that will be given out to the people who want to participate. IF YOU WANT A BATCH OF THIS YEAR'S AVATARS, POST IN THIS THREAD TO LET ME KNOW. Once you've opted in, you'll get a pack via PM from me and will be able to open it up like a pack of actual hockey cards, finding an assortment of avatars within.

Those avatars are yours to use for the season how ever you see fit. Use any or all of them. Trade any or all of them with other users for their avatars. Or trade whatever you want for other peoples' avatars or your avatars for whatever you want from other people. I remember the old avatar drafts where people traded things like beers at games or even tickets to move up in the order and take the player they wanted. I'm not going to be hardcore about enforcing anything myself unless it starts to become problematic or ruin the fun of the concept, but other than that I fully encourage trading like real hockey cards to keep things fun. If you want you can even use none of them, leaving them to sit in your inbox or just give them masses. The decision is yours.

In order to facilitate trading, I will be making a separate thread for people to set up shop for trades and work out deals. This thread should stay on topic of the set itself (including questions and help), requesting packs, and showing off what you got.

So that leads us to the next question: What's in a pack?

I've stolen distribution concepts from another card-based hobby, collectable card games like Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, or Yu-Gi-Oh, to help with how things are divided up. Your pack of 12 avatars is sorted into rarities of avatar that influence distribution as follows:
Common avatars:
The most plentiful avatars in the set are the commons. These are your "base" set covering the breadth of the Sharks/Barracuda organization and are essentially similar to what I might normally release in a regular year where corona isolation doesn't make me crazy enough to create nearly 20 different designs and jam them all together in an orgy of avatar production.

To ensure enough avatars are available and to have sufficient diversity in the set, common avatars have a couple of quirks:

1) Each Sharks/Barracuda player exists in 3 versions: a) a version of them wearing a teal Sharks/Barracuda jersey, b) a version in a white jersey, and c) a version in an alternate jersey (the Stealth jersey, the Cuda oranges, whatever I happen to have found if I was able to find something.). The exception to this is new players who don't have pictures in their San Jose threads yet. For example, Ryan Donato and Devan Dubnyk don't have Sharks images at the moment, so their initial versions in the set depict them in Wild garb. I'll address what this means a little later on.

2) Each version of a given common avatar can exist as up to 4 copies. That means if you get, say, Tomas Hertl in teal (avatar #023, if you're curious) up to 3 other people may get the same avatar in their packs. But since distribution is random it's also entirely possible that maybe only 1 other person gets the same one. Or nobody. Who knows what'll happen.

Each pack comes with 8 common avatars, randomly assorted except that I will control for repeats (meaning you won't get two copies of the same avatar or two different versions of the same player at the common level in the same pack)

Uncommon avatars:
The second tier of avatars are the uncommons. These are a variety of themed sub-sets celebrating aspects of the Sharks past, present, and future. I don't want to spoil too much of the surprise so I won't reveal a whole lot about what's in the uncommon tier, but one example of what you might find at this level are the set's prospect avatars, conceptualized as the equivalent of real-world Rookie Cards.

Unlike, say, Magic, I haven't made a symbol to mark the set and rarity, but in order to keep some visual identification most uncommon sets have design elements cast in a metallic silver foil.

Uncommons are restricted to just 2 copies per design, so whatever you receive at the uncommon level will only have up to one other person a given design/subject with you.

Each pack will have 3 uncommon avatars in it. While I will control for identical duplicates, I will not control for duplication of sets or subjects. So you may find your pack has multiple avatars of different themes depicting the same player, or has multiple players across the same theme (there are, for example, a bunch of packs that have multiple prospect/rookie card avatars in them)

Rare avatars:
The rarest avatar are the rares (of course, right?). Recognizable by gold foil design elements, these are a different variety of sub-set designs from the uncommons. I'm not giving any spoilers about what they encompass though. That's for you people to find out as you all open your packs.

Rares are also notable for the fact that they cannot reappear as duplicates. Every rare handed out is the only version of that design which exists (by which I mean the particular subject. You may get a rare that is one player/subject out of 10 that share that theme, but your version with that specific player will be the only one like it that exists.

Every pack will have 1 rare avatar.

There are some more surprises but I won't spoil them here. If you happen to get those surprises in your packs you're more than welcome to spoil them in my place htough.

As it stands right now I have enough avatars to give out up to 80 packs. Initial asks in this thread are limited to 1 pack per poster. Additional packs may be earned in a variety of ways I haven't decided on yet. Some people will get (and indeed have already been pre-selected for) bonus packs for things they've done in service of this project or the board at large. Others may get them as prizes for contests, challenges, or games that we play on the board. If you've got an idea for something that could use a booster pack prize or a person who you think deserves a thank-you-pack for their contributions to HFSJ, let me know.

I may also choose to intermittently just open a pack on my own and make the contents available for claim or trade for fun.

Since this intro is long and rambling I'll probably keep it up like this for a couple of weeks before I collapse most of it into spoiler tags and only retain the most pertinent info in the open part of the post.

Additionally, the post below this will be used to track the set and distribution.

TL;DR version:
You want avatars? Let me know in this thread and I'll send you a pack of them via PM. Each poster is limited to one (1) pack of avatars via request in this thread. More packs can potentially be earned through other channels which you will find out about in due time.

Also use this thread for showing off what you got to the rest of the board and to ask questions and whatnot. This is not the trades thread. that will go elsewhere to keep things a little bit more organized.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Set Info/Checklist/Distribution Hub

If you're looking for the trading thread, go here: Avatars: - 2020-21 HFSJ Avatars Trading/Marketplace thread

Below is a Google Sheets document that will serve as the information and distribution hub for the set.

As of now it has 3 sheets to track set info:

1) Base Set Checklist will show all the base set common avatars. I will fill in slots as people reveal what they got in their packs so that nothing is revealed before someone has received it. Though I'm sure you can probably figure out the structure of the list pretty quickly make educated guesses about who else is present.

2) Insert Sets Checklist is the master list for all the uncommon/rare avatars in the set. I will not reveal the subset theme until someone has shown off an avatar of that design, at which point I will put up the sub-set marker (including rarity) and begin filling in its portion of the list.

3) Pack Distribution shows the current status of the 80 packs I made and who has claimed each one. Please note the first few packs in the list were pre-assigned prior to this thread as rewards for services rendered to me or the board. Distribution beyond this point will be randomized and will not progress sequentially from 7 through 80.

The google sheet document will update live as I make changes, though you will likely need to refresh the page to make changes visible to you. As far as I can tell it is not possible to edit the sheet from this embedded window nor is it possible to access the original document or download a copy from here. If you are able to do so please let me know so I can set up the appropriate protection functions to make sure it stays accurate and avoids unwanted edits.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Avatar distribution FAQ/additional info:

To keep post #1 a bit more concise (which, since it's me, means "not very concise at all") I'm putting some of the lengthier digressions and additional info here with spoiler tags:

How up-to-date is the content of the set?
Roster inclusions and assignments were crystallized around late October/early November. This was late enough to account for the departure of several players, including Joe Thornton, and the arrival of most players acquired during the off-season to date. But it means that it will not be up to date as other moves happen from now (mid-December) onward.

What if I received a common avatar with a player who is not wearing a Sharks or Barracuda jersey (like, for example, Ryan Donato or Devan Dubnyk)?
In the instances of newly acquired players who have yet to be photographed in a Sharks or Barracuda jersey in game action (in most cases I have noted where this is the case in your pack PM if you get such a player) I WILL provide updated versions in an appropriate jersey once such images are made available. From that point on you're free to use both the updated and original version as you wish (If you really like the picture of the player in their pre-Sharks jersey I won't force you to change from it)

Be aware though that while I won't be super strict about enforcing trading "rules" I personally do count both versions as the "same" avatar. If, for example, you receive the Ryan Donato avatar earmarked as his "teal" version (avatar #008, spoilers) and you decide to trade it, you are trading the rights to both the original version in a Wild jersey and the Sharks one once it becomes available. If you wait until the Sharks one is made and then you make a trade, you're still trading both the placeholder and the corrected one. You can't hold onto the Sharks jersey one and trade away the Wild jersey one or vice versa. Obviously I can't actually stop you from doing so if someone wants to make that trade, but for me the spirit of these replacement/updates is that they are forever bound together with their placeholder/originals.

What if I have the avatar of a player who is traded or released?
If a player you have gets traded I will NOT provide a replacement avatar. You can continue to use the traded player's avatar if you wish or simply retire it. Or trade it away. If all goes well I have plans to release a much smaller "Series 2" set after the trade deadline to facilitate updating the set for trades and acquisitions/releases. If I do I may provide priority access to the first run of packs from that set to people who have notable traded/release player avatars (ie priority to people who lose significant "name" players off the Sharks roster. So if Burns got traded you'd get a fresh pack to offset his loss. This would be less likely if the Barracuda trade or release say... Evan Weinger.) but this is not a 'for sure' thing yet.

What about new incoming players? Will they get avatars when they become part of the organization?
I will NOT be creating new avatars for acquired players who come to the org after this point. As with the above, If I do release a "Series 2" run later in the season it will be primarily motivated by trying to represent these new players.

What about players who are moved up or down between the Sharks and Barracuda? If, for example, Sasha Chmelevski makes his Sharks debut will he get a new set of avatars in a Sharks jersey? If someone gets demoted to the Barracuda will they get fresh versions in a Barracuda jersey?
Because of the potential frequency of promotions/demotions, I will NOT be making alternate versions of players on the Barracuda or Sharks if they are moved up/down to the other team within the org. So if the Sharks call someone up from the Barracuda mid-season I will not be making new versions of them in Sharks jerseys. Similarly I will not make new versions of players in a Barracuda jersey if they get demoted from the Sharks to the AHL mid-season. I may do these for Series 2 if we get to that point and I need to fill slots. I haven't decided yet.

You said you were giving out packs as rewards and prizes, how will that work?
On the assumption that I won't be handing out 80 packs to 80 board members (do we even have that many regulars?) I expect there will be some leftovers that can be distributed in other ways. Primarily two ways:

1) Contests, competitions, games, or the like for which a pack of avatars will be an available prize to be won. I don't know what these might be yet but you will know about it if such a situation comes up. And if you have an idea for such an event, let me know and I'll be glad to kick in a pack or two as a suitable prize.

2) Rewards for people who contribute to the HFSJ community in some way, or who have aided myself or others in ways that deserve to be recognized. At the start of the distribution I earmarked 6 posters to receive an extra pack as a reward for their help or contributions to the board. But I know that is not the full scope of people who have done something for use that deserve a "thank you" pack of avatars. If you know of someone who is worthy of our appreciation, PM me and I'll put them on the consideration list for a bonus pack.

Bonus packs are only announced and handed out once that poster has opted in to receiving their standard pack of avatars. That way I don't have to worry about giving a pack to someone who has no desire or use for it. If a person does not wish to participate and claim their reward, those reserved packs will eventually be released back into the pool for wider distribution.

I will add more to this post as questions and concerns arise.

Last edited:
Reactions: slocal

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I would love a pack of these.

Makes me nostalgic for my old baseball card collection, which I sold almost the entirety of for $20...

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just a forewarning that this is going to be a bit of a slow process at the beginning to get packs out to everyone. I have to compile them manually and even though I have links all pre-arranged, I didn't pre-compile link batches for each pack. So until things slow down and I'm only having to fill a small # of packs per day I might be a bit delayed in getting each person their pack when I get the request.

Also a reminder to use the link to the pack preview image in your PM to post what you got in here so that everyone can see. Visual representation of the set will help sell it to others who are on the fence about joining in.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Alright, I'm breaking for dinner for a bit. So far I've distributed to posters in order from this thread as far as Cas. Melmkan, Kcoyote, and anyone else that shows up from now until I get back will have to wait a bit.

And a reminder for those of you who get their packs via PM to post the pack preview image in here. There's the image and a simple url at the end of the PM. I won't update the checklist until people reveal the avatars. But I will say that I hope everyone who's gotten a pack so far really like Trevor Carrick, because he's been oddly omnipresent :laugh:

EDIT: also I'll be updating my own avatar in a bit too. Obviously I have to rep this creation too, I've just been preoccupied.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Alright, I'm breaking for dinner for a bit. So far I've distributed to posters in order from this thread as far as Cas. Melmkan, Kcoyote, and anyone else that shows up from now until I get back will have to wait a bit.

And a reminder for those of you who get their packs via PM to post the pack preview image in here. There's the image and a simple url at the end of the PM. I won't update the checklist until people reveal the avatars. But I will say that I hope everyone who's gotten a pack so far really like Trevor Carrick, because he's been oddly omnipresent :laugh:

EDIT: also I'll be updating my own avatar in a bit too. Obviously I have to rep this creation too, I've just been preoccupied.
Just a heads up, the google sheets seems to be locked for me, not sure if thats intentional or not.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think I'm caught up for the moment.

I also noticed that for whatever reason the google sheets embed above doesn't replicate all the formatting of the actual document. On the insert sets tab the categories should have the titles vertically aligned (basically turned 90 degrees counter-clockwise) but for whatever reason in here it doesn't do that. I may have to adjust that sheet so that it's more readable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad