2020-21 Flyers Season Summer Lamentations

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The oddness of this season definitely had a negative on the team and contributed to them under achieving...

...but this team also has some obviously big holes that need to be fixed. This season helped really expose that.

Both of those can be true...idk why thats so hard for ppl to get.

In a regular season,they probably make the playoffs but dont make it far bc of those holes. Either way, we end up in the same spot.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He did but every single time he said it the very next phrase mentioned the goalies, practice time, or Canadians.

iu

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The obvious takeaways from the exit press conference:
1. The Flyers had multiple young players who entered the season in subpar shape & unprepared;

2. The lack of practice time killed the team in honing its systems execution, particularly since they were relying on so many young players who needed the practice reps.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He did but every single time he said it the very next phrase mentioned the goalies, practice time, or Canadians.
The Canadian thing is only a theory. Having a theory is not the same as operating under a conviction.

But it’s clear that that he wasn’t satisfied with the conditioning

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Canadian thing is only a theory. Having a theory is not the same as operating under a conviction
It's a foolish thing to say when nearly half the league is Canadian...and your two best players are Canadian. It's a deflection to get the heat away from him. Keep those things to yourself. I mean this is the same guy that was trying to give Giroux offseason workout advice at the end of last season.

Take the blame publicly, give the cliche answers, and if you really believe that is an issue, address it with the players privately.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

Ah, Flyers are the only team with Canadians on it.

This is hilarious. My apathy for this team is best described by the team defense on display this year.

It reminds me of the Abraham Wald story from WWII. He was on a team responsible for analyzing how to strategically place additional armor on bombers without weighing them down too much. The team analyzed bombers that returned from missions and data was collected about where they had been hit and how many times in each area. Data showed the planes coming back weren't getting shot up as much in the engines.

The officers saw an opportunity for efficiency; you can get the same protection with less armor if you concentrate the armor on the places with the greatest need, where the planes are getting hit the most. But exactly how much more armor belonged on those parts of the plane? That was the answer they came to Wald for. It wasn’t the answer they got.
The armor, said Wald, doesn’t go where the bullet holes are. It goes where the bullet holes aren’t: on the engines.
It is clear to me that we have a front office and staff of all officers. We need the guy who is actually smart enough to realize the planes with bullet holes all over the engines are the ones that aren't flying back home.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
This is hilarious. My apathy for this team is best described by the team defense on display this year.

It reminds me of the Abraham Wald story from WWII. He was on a team responsible for analyzing how to strategically place additional armor on bombers without weighing them down too much. The team analyzed bombers that returned from missions and data was collected about where they had been hit and how many times in each area. Data showed the planes coming back weren't getting shot up as much in the engines.

The officers saw an opportunity for efficiency; you can get the same protection with less armor if you concentrate the armor on the places with the greatest need, where the planes are getting hit the most. But exactly how much more armor belonged on those parts of the plane? That was the answer they came to Wald for. It wasn’t the answer they got.
The armor, said Wald, doesn’t go where the bullet holes are. It goes where the bullet holes aren’t: on the engines.
It is clear to me that we have a front office and staff of all officers. We need the guy who is actually smart enough to realize the planes with bullet holes all over the engines are the ones that aren't flying back home.
Great analogy

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think people are missing the point on Vigneault’s “Canada” theory.

It was, in my opinion, a way to say they had a number of players who did not train diligently & who perhaps used COVID as an excuse to slack off.

Yes, other teams have players who live in Canada in the off-season. But, as Fletcher said weeks ago, some players handled Covid better than others. The Flyers apparently had multiple young players who did not handle it well.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So there are two psychological reasons for referring to oneself in the 3rd person

1) gaslighters/narcissists tend to speak in the third person

2) Done for self-soothing emotional distancing in response to a pain point.

I (not Embiid) say yes to both for AV

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
yup....threw the young Canadian kids right under the bus

Chuck did say something along the lines of being “very concerned about the young kids not taking enough of a step”. Early on in that conference.

I mean, he isn’t exactly wrong to a degree - but this team since AV has often been throwing its players under the bus publicly. It happened multiple times today.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d think twice about an employer like that. It comes across as deflection and nothing more with how often they do it.

There are veiled tones of blaming Hextall and what he assembled in there. Dave Scott made a point of saying it’s the most in tune the front office/coaches/ownership has been since he got here.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Well maybe by September i'll want to watch games again. I sure as hell had no interest in tuning in since March and even before then I only hate watched.

In my early 30’s and never imagined I’d lose interest in the Flyers. Two straight regimes with zero creativity whatsoever. Absurd that they wasted the prime of Giroux/Voracek and didn’t even try to win when you had an annual selke candidate locked up at 4.3 per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad