2020-21 Expected Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I think we CAN win a Cup in the next 3 years...which is exactly why I don’t want to gut the roster or trade the face of the franchise to acquire Jack Eichel...

I mean anything is possible but I don’t think we win a cup until Kane and Toews are on their 4th contract making less and the young guys are most likely on 5 year show me deals. 4-5 years is realistic in my mind.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
No to Eichel and I'm surprised this debate is still going on here.

I hate the summer months here.

Look he’s a fine young talent but he’s not Crosby. He’s not McDavid. He’s not even MacKinnon level IMO.

I really don’t get the obsession over wanting to add him. Especially if it means moving the face of our dynasty, our man Patrick “Showtime” Kane.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I mean anything is possible but I don’t think we win a cup until Kane and Toews are on their 4th contract making less and the young guys are most likely on 5 year show me deals. 4-5 years is realistic in my mind.

So at least three more years of being a non-contender? Ugh.

If that’s the case, Keith should probably ask for a trade. What are the chances he’s still good enough to play on a contender four seasons from now? He may as well use what he has left to try and win again.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

I think 2-3 years is more realistic because it combines the perfect storm of all these things coming together at once:

Toews still being a legit 1C
Keith still being a legit NHLer
Kane still being elite
Dach just hitting his stride
Nylander just hitting his stride
Boqvist just hitting his stride
Other young D doing the same
Cat and Strome in their prime
Kubalik in his prime

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I think 2-3 years is more realistic because it combines the perfect storm of all these things coming together at once:

Toews still being a legit 1C
Keith still being a legit NHLer
Kane still being elite
Dach just hitting his stride
Nylander just hitting his stride
Boqvist just hitting his stride
Other young D doing the same
Cat and Strome in their prime
Kubalik in his prime

I get this and it could happen.

my scenario changes your just hitting his stride to hitting their prime.

Partner that with Kane and Toews still vets and the cap space we have if they sign smaller deals. Maybe we get a Hossa like player in free agency because of this.

Not to mention a few past and future draft picks making a splash.

We aren’t really arguing much different. Although my scenario probably doesn’t involve Keith but you never know with him. He might still be a bottom pairing guy into his 40s.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Look he’s a fine young talent but he’s not Crosby. He’s not McDavid. He’s not even MacKinnon level IMO.

I really don’t get the obsession over wanting to add him. Especially if it means moving the face of our dynasty, our man Patrick “Showtime” Kane.

agreed. Eichel is good but not that good. some of the proposals floating around here for him are outlandish.

happy to keep what we have for youngsters instead of trading a freaking boatload to get him...

Reactions: SimpleJack

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
So at least three more years of being a non-contender? Ugh.

If that’s the case, Keith should probably ask for a trade. What are the chances he’s still good enough to play on a contender four seasons from now? He may as well use what he has left to try and win again.

he has won three cups, my guess is Duncan is happy to just finish out his contract as a Hawk and take a really cushy job with the organization when he is done.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Shaft is mad about talking hockey in the dead summer months please stop people.
Yall should be talking about important things, like why I'm your favorite poster and pondering what GDT ideas I'll come up with next.

A much better use of your time IMO.

Reactions: Styles

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
No to Eichel and I'm surprised this debate is still going on here.

I hate the summer months here.

Yeah, I was bored as f***. Only reason I brought it back up. Just something to think about with literally nothing going on in sports right now.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I guess many Teams won't Change much during the upcoming offseason. Everything will be different and I guess it sucks to be a UFA this offseason.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I guess many Teams won't Change much during the upcoming offseason. Everything will be different and I guess it sucks to be a UFA this offseason.

Maybe it forces some players to take less causing future players’ prices to drop. If Saad could be re-signed for less than his current cap hit, I’d be happy to re-sign him.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Maybe it forces some players to take less causing future players’ prices to drop. If Saad could be re-signed for less than his current cap hit, I’d be happy to re-sign him.
Saad would be stupid to sign earlier without making it to Free Agency.
Players will sign for less and for 1 year. It will not bring down Prices for the future.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Saad would be stupid to sign earlier without making it to Free Agency.
Players will sign for less and for 1 year. It will not bring down Prices for the future.

All it takes is one or two big players signing for less and the cap staying fairly flat again.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
So Friedman is reporting that salary cap is going to stay flat for the next three years if the new CBA is agreed upon.

If that’s the case, bye bye Strome and who knows what other players. That screws a lot of teams over.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If that’s the case, bye bye Strome and who knows what other players. That screws a lot of teams over.

It's possible he takes a cheaper 1-2 year bridge deal to stay. Aim for a two year bridge and get paid when/if Shaw, Murphy, Maatta, and de Haan are off the books. It’s not a very smart move from his perspective but he seems to really like it here.

Last edited:

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It's possible he takes a cheaper 1-2 year bridge deal to stay. Aim for a two year bridge and get paid when/if Shaw, Murphy, Maatta, and de Haan are off the books. It’s not a very smart move from his perspective but he seems to really like it here.
I’ll be honest, I’m looking more long term. Like if we can package Strome and this years first with Seabrook, we would be in good shape for the future.

We have lots of young talent, we don’t absolutely need the draft pick this year.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I’ll be honest, I’m looking more long term. Like if we can package Strome and this years first with Seabrook, we would be in good shape for the future.

We have lots of young talent, we don’t absolutely need the draft pick this year.

Wait out the Seabrook deal for another 2 seasons and then get rid of him once his bonus is paid in the summer after the 21-22 season. He will only be owed 5.5M over the last two years. It will be much easier to get rid of and that's when we will most likely need the cap space to re-up Dach, Boqvist, whoever. I don't think we really need to get rid of Seabrooks contract this year for that price.

The big question is will Seabrook even agree to be traded this year?

Plus if the rumors are true of the cap staying flat cap space is going to be at a premium in the off-season. There's going to be a ton of teams looking at the 3-4 teams that are going to be able to take on salary. Those 3-4 teams most likely won't want to take on 4 years of Seabrook when they could probably take on a 2 year deal from contending teams and get equal assets.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
1. I think Seabrook's contract is going to absolutely kill the Hawks now. There's no way they can unload it until there's 1 or 2 years left.

2. You can kiss Strome goodbye. He's a luxury the Hawks can't afford at this point.

3. The Hawks are going to have to consider trading 19, 88, and either 12 or 8 now or else they're going to have a hard time keeping their younger players. Dach, Boqvist and Mitchell will all be up at the same time, with one year left on the flat cap.

4. Buying out Maatta is almost a must at this point, even though he's a valuable player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad