2020-21 Coach/GM Hot Seat Thread

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Treliving and Ward need to go.

Ward is NOT a head coach and Treliving has shown he is completely unable to build a successful team.

Flames have the exact same problem right now as they have for years, over multiple choices.

Maybe the players are just inconsistent.

Treliving, not sure what else the guy can do. He's done as well with the assets he has that can be reasonably asked for. Couple bad UFA signings hurt but as long as doesn't repeat it it's fine. Drafting, trades, and development have been top notch.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
Treliving and Ward need to go.

Ward is NOT a head coach and Treliving has shown he is completely unable to build a successful team.

Ward had a good run last season after Peters was fired. I think he stays another year.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
I think everyone gets a free pass until the off-season and we know if 21/22 will be a real season with interactive divisional competition and quarantines in place. If you're a Canadian team firing someone, you can only hire internally because imagine hiring an available guy living in the US and he was to go through the 14 day crap PL Dubois had to go through. What do you do, have an interregnum with an assistant manning the fort for 14 days until the real new guy comes in?

I disagree. This actually could be the opposite, since you are only competing against 6 or so teams for a playoff spot. This is the year teams would make a push and, if you still can't do that as a coach, it may encourage more moves.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'd be surprised if Treliving is allowed to fire another coach. He's already fired two, plus Peters who may have eventually been turfed for performance had the racial stuff not come out first.

Eakins is complete chickenshit, get rid of him.
I know Bob Murray had a few issues with Eakins last year, but what is so bad about him this season?

I hated him in Edmonton, but some of that also wasn't his fault. He wasn't nearly ready to be an NHL head coach in 2013.

Reactions: Nixon45

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Bob Murray needs to be fired immediately before he makes the situation with the Ducks completely unresolvable. His reluctance to make the slightest change to the core that HE put together and realize that the team is going nowhere just cannot continue to be how the organization is ran. His chickenshit waiving of the team's best forward last season rather than making any meaningful trade or roster just shows he's lost all touch with the organization.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2021-2-20_23-8-16.png

2nd last in goals scored this season, with the only team below them having only 1 less goal in SIX less game played. :rolleyes:

Reactions: banks

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Coaching-wise, there are always a ton of names to watch out for.

David Quinn's seat is undoubtedly scorching. He seems overmatched at the pro level, unfortunately. Not to mention Jacques Martin would be the perfect interim head coach for the Rangers, given his extensive NHL head coaching experience.

Geoff Ward is another obvious name to put on here. I'm of the opinion Calgary would be way better off with another coach. They're simply too talented to be sitting at 5th in that division.

John Hynes is an objectively terrible coach and the only reason he has a job is because he's BFFs with the Preds AGM. So while he should be fired ASAP, he will likely (undeservedly) hang onto his job for the foreseeable future.

Ralph Krueger's seat for Buffalo could be hot, but I'm not exactly sure. Everyone knows that roster sucks, so changing coaches probably won't affect much. It's notable that Kevyn Adams did not hire Krueger though.

Travis Green could be Benning's scapegoat if ownership doesn't fire Benning first.

The Canadiens have cooled off after a hot start, so maybe Bergevin gets trigger-happy and cans Julien. Yet they'd need a Francophone to take over the job, so the limited candidate pool may deter this from happening.

Paul Maurice is not a good hockey coach and that automatically renders his seat warm. Maybe soon the Jets will come to their senses and nab a halfway-decent coach for once.

Jeff Blashill is a surefire bet to be let go after the season. Yes, the Wings are trash, but he is not helping matters there by any means. Plus that coaching staff might be the worst in the NHL.

While many Pens fans keep calling for Sully's head, he just signed a lucrative extension not too long ago and my guess is his leash is still decently long.

Finally, the coaches for the slop of the West Division are nothing special by any means. While nobody expects much out of their teams, Dallas Eakins and Bob Boughner are replaceable. Like the Sabres with Krueger and the Wings with Blashill, the Ducks and Sharks might not be motivated to pull the trigger though because most worthy coaches are going to avoid those jobs.

Reactions: banks and MMC

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Bob Murray needs to be fired immediately before he makes the situation with the Ducks completely unresolvable. His reluctance to make the slightest change to the core that HE put together and realize that the team is going nowhere just cannot continue to be how the organization is ran. His chickenshit waiving of the team's best forward last season rather than making any meaningful trade or roster just shows he's lost all touch with the organization.
I don't watch the Ducks too much, but I agree 100%. They need to clean house.

The sad thing is they have a franchise goalie and can't piece together an NHL-caliber lineup of skaters to support him. Coaching in Anaheim shouldn't be an undesirable job, but that's exactly what it's become and that is telling.

Fire everyone and start over. Keep Gibson and make everyone else available, and go from there.

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Not a head coach, but the devils PP is about 10% and their pk is below 60%. Have to imagine someone is losing a job soon (hopefully)

Reactions: Brightwing

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
John Hynes absolutely needs to go. It was a bad hire when it happened especially due to nepotism. The team, while it isn't loaded, is still severely underperforming.

If the Pens pull the trigger on canning Mike Sullivan, then I have a feeling there'd be quite a few teams going after him.

Gerard Gallant is still out there. Maybe he's waiting for Seattle :rolleyes:

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Nixon45

Nov 7, 2019
Geoff Ward might be the worst coach I've ever seen. And I watched hynes coach the devils for years.
I will never understand how Treliving thought giving Ward the job was a good idea. What the hell did he see in this guy?

It's been the exact same coach hirings for his entire tenure with the Flames. Try to be the smartest guy in the room by choosing an obscure head coach without even interviewing any other candidates.

Treliving will never bring this franchise success.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Before RK decided to play Ullmark two games and two days in a row, I would have suggested that there is no evidence to suggest that the coach in Buffalo is on the hot seat. Given the moves we've seen since the start of the season, there is no evidence to suggest that KA is on the hot seat.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1