2020-21 Coach/GM Hot Seat Thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
For the Ducks, Eakins has to go but I think it's unlikely he's the first (or that he'll even go before the offseason at all).

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I didn't think Blashill would still be in Detroit at this time last year but I'm still going to say him. I don't know if he's a good coach or not but I would guess Yzerman would like his own guy eventually.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is a season like 17-18 where no coaches were fired during the season.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Between quarantine and reduced operating budgets it wouldn't surprise me if we had a bloodless year when it comes to coaches and GMs. If you're at that point owners aren't going to want to pay 2 guys it what will already be a lost season.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I can't imagine JR stepping down is good news for Suliivan in Pittsburgh

The Penguins players:
tenor.gif

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Noted Sullivan's head staring at the floor as he left the bench tonight, his days sure seem numbered

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
If you've watched the Canucks this season you'd see how much the team has mentally checked out. Benning and Green have to be gone. It's not just losing; it's getting embarrassed and not caring. Can't have that.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
The Canucks are going to fire everybody, but they probably wont do it during the season due to covid.

Reactions: Zanon

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
I think everyone gets a free pass until the off-season and we know if 21/22 will be a real season with interactive divisional competition and quarantines in place. If you're a Canadian team firing someone, you can only hire internally because imagine hiring an available guy living in the US and he was to go through the 14 day crap PL Dubois had to go through. What do you do, have an interregnum with an assistant manning the fort for 14 days until the real new guy comes in?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There might be an insurrection in Vancouver if Benning and Green aren't axed within the next few days. The fans & media in the Canadian division are unmerciful.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think everyone gets a free pass until the off-season and we know if 21/22 will be a real season with interactive divisional competition and quarantines in place. If you're a Canadian team firing someone, you can only hire internally because imagine hiring an available guy living in the US and he was to go through the 14 day crap PL Dubois had to go through. What do you do, have an interregnum with an assistant manning the fort for 14 days until the real new guy comes in?
If MLB’s 60 game season didn’t prevent several managers and GMs from getting canned, the NHL’s 56 certainly won’t

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Honestly what’s it going to take for Benning to get fired? Is he even on the hot seat?
You are limited in your hiring options if you fire your GM in season.
Who were the candidates that Pitt interviewed.
How many were currently employed by an NHL team?
No going to get the equivalent of a Zito out of CBS like FLA did by trying to fill a gm position in season.

Benning if the Canucks miss the playoffs it would be hard for the owner to bring him back.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Logistically, it is a lot harder to fire a coach this season with the covid protocols in place.

I doubt we'll many performance based firings til the off-season, but given the climate I'm sure we'll see one or two guys let go for saying something stupid or having something from the past resurface.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad