2020-21 Coach/GM Hot Seat Thread

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Ralph Krueger seems like he's getting the least out of every payer in Buffalo.

As bad as Skinner has been, pretty much everyone thinks he deserves a shot in Buffalo's top 6. But he's playing 4th line, or scratched. From the outside, it seems like a bone-head move.

Last edited:
Reactions: generalshepherd141

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I feel like Treliving should be gone, but I also think a big part of the issue in Calgary is ownership's refusal to tank. I suppose you could argue it's an honourable stance, but most teams that have long-term success get to that point with the stars they picked up from the years that they tanked. The Flames don't have those top-end stars.

Treliving has done a decent job drafting (given where the Flames have picked) and with his trades. His FA signings have been awful for the most part (except for Tanev and Markstrom). And his coaching hires have not been great.

I could see him not getting another contract with the Flames. But I also don't see the Flames having any real success until they get a series of consecutive high picks.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Paul Maurice is not a good hockey coach and that automatically renders his seat warm. Maybe soon the Jets will come to their senses and nab a halfway-decent coach for once.

Anytime you have a coach in the same position as long as Maurice has been you assume he's on the "hot seat". But Paul seems to be immune to what gets other coaches fired. He's a good talker and seems to have ownership and managements trust and love.

He's also had some pretty talented players to help produce results that keep him from getting fired. The team is probably due for a new voice (long over due really) but it will be a shock when it happens.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Coaching-wise, there are always a ton of names to watch out for.

Paul Maurice is not a good hockey coach and that automatically renders his seat warm. Maybe soon the Jets will come to their senses and nab a halfway-decent coach for once.

So true but this guys' got more job security than McDavid. He's a terrible old-school coach that has built-in excuses every year for why the Jet's underachieved.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Ralph Krueger seems like he's getting the least out of every payer in Buffalo.

As bad as Skinner has been, pretty much everyone thinks he deserves a shot in Buffalo's top 6. But he's playing 4th line, or scratched. From the outside, it seems like a bone-head move.

Skinner did get to play with in the Top 6 with Eichel and then Staal. The guy refuses to put in the dirty work to get a garbage goal. If he ain’t shooting, he is utterly useless as a hockey player. Skinner only has himself to blame, not Krueger.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The Jackets seem to go through some struggles every year but I have to imagine the time may actually come for Torts if they don't turn things around soon. On paper they have a great team, just about every piece you'd want to go deep. Elite young defensemen, one of the best pure scorers in the game, grit, depth, leadership etc. I suppose goaltending and maybe lacking a high end C could be considered weak points but not glaring enough for either to be the reason for their current failures. I guess it comes down to this:

Is Tortorella getting the most out of this team? Doesn't seem close to it at the moment. I'm all for patience and would love to see them go far with him, but they should not be this bad. I feel his days may be numbered if they continue losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad