Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We don't know that. In fact have to believe that he was competing with someone otherwise he'd never have done that.

If I had to guess Seattle was going to pick him in the expansion draft (Keith agreed to go there), and to get him Holland had to pay up to compensate for the loss of the other player that Seattle will pick now that Keith is gone.

So the 3rd pick and Jones is for the player they lose in the XD.

Nah, no one was vying for an aged Duncan Keith, at least no one with an ounce of sense, and he was reportedly only willing to waive his NMC for Edmonton, but not many other places.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nah, no one was vying for an aged Duncan Keith, at least no one with an ounce of sense, and he was reportedly only willing to waive his NMC for Edmonton, but not many other places.
No Seattle and Calgary were on his list.

I could easily see Seattle being interested. Great veteran and locker room guy for an expansion team and they have plenty of cap space.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No Seattle and Calgary were on his list.

I could easily see Seattle being interested. Great veteran and locker room guy for an expansion team and they have plenty of cap space.

It doesn't matter if they were on his list or not--what matters is whether or not he was on their list. I don't think he was.

Seattle wouldn't take a deal like that on without a sweetener of some kind thrown in.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It doesn't matter if they were on his list or not--what matters is whether or not he was on their list. I don't think he was.

Seattle wouldn't take a deal like that on without a sweetener of some kind thrown in.

Why not? Keith is one of the premier defenders of this generation. Teams that have struggled to develop a culture or a defensive corps should be interested in his experience alone. He's the type of player you bring in for two years and then retire him the coaching or development staff to benefit your org for years to come.

Reactions: Balthazar

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Edmonton should beware the Avs lesson when it comes to trying to buy veteran leadership. You have to grow your own leaders in this league.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Edmonton should beware the Avs lesson when it comes to trying to buy veteran leadership. You have to grow your own leaders in this league.

I don't know. I think you can still add leadership from outside. Calvert and Saad provided a lot of leadership to the Avs. Belly and Toews to an extent as well.

Guys like McDonagh, Coleman, Goodrow, and Gourde were good leaders for Tampa, especially McDonagh.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't know. I think you can still add leadership from outside. Calvert and Saad provided a lot of leadership to the Avs. Belly and Toews to an extent as well.

Guys like McDonagh, Coleman, Goodrow, and Gourde were good leaders for Tampa, especially McDonagh.
Well adding guys in their prime makes sense. Adding Beauchemin, Iginla, Keith, etc that are well past their prime is never a good idea.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
"We really didn't want you but to have a chance to get your brother we needed to trade for you. So welcome to Chicago, Caleb...I guess."

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well adding guys in their prime makes sense. Adding Beauchemin, Iginla, Keith, etc that are well past their prime is never a good idea.

I think that's true to an extent, but really I think a lot of the perception over those moves was based on how bad those Avalanche teams were at the time.

Not that adding veteran leadership past their prime can't help a team. Corey Perry was past his prime, but he seemed to play a big leadership role on that Habs team this year. The Isles added a 36 year old Travis Zajac and 38 year old Andy Greene for their run.

Both Beauchemin and Iginla were quite good their first years in Colorado too and Iggy was serviceable in his second.

If the Avs had the kind of contender back then they thought they had after 2013-14, and those guys had those good first seasons, the story could have been much different. If the Avs had a better team and won the Cup they'd be viewed as good veteran additions.

Then as they started to decline, it would have been viewed as a necessary part of bringing them in for the Cup run.

But the Avs were bad back then, so that made their tenure look worse, because there wasn't enough positives to take out of those years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I think you can add to what you've already built, but you can't create it out of nothing by just adding a big time vet and thinking it will all work out. I'm not sure Edmonton has the leadership core they need yet to go anywhere, similar to the Avs when they added Iginla and just expected that a future HOFer would hurry things along to help mature the young core. It ended up souring on them badly.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wild are f***ed. You know he's gone in 4 years. That's the worst case scenario for them.

He wants to be UFA as soon as he can so he can sign in NY or Florida for big money.

Reactions: klozge

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wild are f***ed. You know he's gone in 4 years. That's the worst case scenario for them.

He wants to be UFA as soon as he can so he can sign in NY or Florida for big money.

Can't really blame him IMO for turning down an 8 year term during a flat cap market.

If the cap starts to go up again, and he demands UFA prices, he could easily be in the $10-11M range in a few years.

This still feels like it's way too early to make a big deal out of this. We haven't even had the entry draft yet. The Wild reportedly want 8 years. Kaprizov reportedly wants 4-5 years.

Sounds like they'll settle on 6 years to me for a big number. Probably like $8-9M x 6.

Reactions: klozge

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Can't really blame him IMO for turning down an 8 year term during a flat cap market.

If the cap starts to go up again, and he demands UFA prices, he could easily be in the $10-11M range in a few years.

This still feels like it's way too early to make a big deal out of this. We haven't even had the entry draft yet. The Wild reportedly want 8 years. Kaprizov reportedly wants 4-5 years.

Sounds like they'll settle on 6 years to me for a big number. Probably like $8-9M x 6.
Or he tells them to shove off and he goes back to Russia cause they won't give him what he wants

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He already did it once...

"Russian factor doesn't exist" -some people

No he didn't already do it. He just stayed in Russia a couple extra years after being drafted.

Not at all the same as leaving the NHL for more money in Russia.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I guess there’s no flat cap in the world of Kirill Kaprizov. :laugh:

I struggle to see Kaprizov getting 10-11 on the open market. I think the Wild’s offer was more than fair.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad