2020-21 Around the League part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It's an awful division. The only thing making the division look semi respectable is the Wild having a season like the Avs did in 13-14 where everything went right.

100%. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather face the Wild in the playoffs over the Blues. STL has that style of play that can wear you down, and if Binnington gets hot it could be bad.

Minnesota is seeing a run of luck that's going to come to a crashing halt. Cam Talbot with a .926sv% is just not lasting.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jarmo is to blame for the season. Not firing Torts is just one of the reasons.
Blue Jackets would be 10,000 times worse if they didn't have Jarmo. The worst aspect was them - as an organisation - decided to keep their rentals and go for the Cup run. It wasn't a bad decision as they beat probably the single best team ever assembled since the 90s Avs/Red Wings.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Blue Jackets would be 10,000 times worse if they didn't have Jarmo. The worst aspect was them - as an organisation - decided to keep their rentals and go for the Cup run. It wasn't a bad decision as they beat probably the single best team ever assembled since the 90s Avs/Red Wings.

Yet they lost in the following round so everyone remembers this as Tampa choking and not the Jackets winning.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City

If they were 10,000 times worst, where exactly would they be? There's isn't much positive about this group right now and it will get worst when Jones leaves next year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If they were 10,000 times worst, where exactly would they be? There's isn't much positive about this group right now and it will get worst when Jones leaves next year.
Jarmo is an amazing drafter and why I have more faith in him than you lot. He's had a lot of unfortunate circumstances like Panarin not wanting to stay, Bob (though that seems like a blessing disguise), and now Dubois. It might get worse with Jones potentially leaving, but they're not as bad as what's happening to them currently just like Buffalo wasn't as truly bad as them losing like 18 games in a row or whatever it was. You have a team that has traded away their leaders, a team that has given up on their coach (like Sabres did with Krueger) need to do a retool, but I also don't think they're in a bad shape. They're better than Sabres, Devils, Ducks, Senators, Sharks, Red Wings, and Kings. They're on Canucks, Flames, Coyotes, and Blackhawks level and that's right as a playoff bubble club.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean they played the Bruins pretty damn well in round two as well.

Who remembers that? Seems like every single person who talks about the Tampa upset says the same thing: They needed more grit...then they got it the following year and won the cup.

Not a word about the Jackets.

@S E P H Ever thought about the idea that Jarmo's decisions might have something to do with players wanting to GTFO?

Like, you know, sticking with Torts.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
PLD for Laine was trading for a worse player who's a worse fit with a worse contract. Its Columbus version of the ROR trade (either the Avs or Sabres version).

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

Ok yeah maybe we are in the worst division

I don’t think that’s necessarily a fair assessment. While some of the other divisions may be 1 team deeper (the east specifically), we have 3 of the top 6 in the league and those 3 teams beat up on the rest. Our division actually breaks down very similar to the central.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@S E P H Ever thought about the idea that Jarmo's decisions might have something to do with players wanting to GTFO?

Like, you know, sticking with Torts.
They operate a lot like us, which means they won't fire a coach mid-season. Very rarely have Avs ever fired a coach in the middle of the season and I see CBJ in a similar fashion. They probably should've played the asset game, but they haven't done much of anything since their existence of a franchise so I understand why they went that route. It's also why I am not going to punish them for trusting in their club and taking some risk.
PLD for Laine was trading for a worse player who's a worse fit with a worse contract. Its Columbus version of the ROR trade (either the Avs or Sabres version).
It's the best possible player from a bad situation. I don't think Torts is a good coach for him, but hard to see Torts stay with the club after this season.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's an awful division. The only thing making the division look semi respectable is the Wild having a season like the Avs did in 13-14 where everything went right.
It's not any worse than the North. The reason the teams haven't clinched in the North yet is because of all the missed games Vancouver had.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I mean they’re pretty comparable divisions overall.

I think the biggest issue with the West is the lack of C depth on all the teams. Kind of took us off the hook for the whole year, and probably blinded Sakic as to how mediocre our C depth is. After Mac, is there another top 20-25 C in our division? O’reily? Maybe Kopitar if you’re being generous.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jarmo is to blame for the season. Not firing Torts is just one of the reasons.

Jarmo is the only reason that franchise has had any success. People really don’t realize the insane mess he inherited from not one, but two egregiously incompetent general managers.

I agree he waited too long to fire Torts (should’ve happened in the offseason) but it’s all lining up nicely for Lumbus now. They have a lot of picks stockpiled for a guy who knows how to draft, Torts isn’t owed a dime past this season, and if indeed they decide to blow it up, they have up until next year’s deadline to deal Jones.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They have a lot of picks stockpiled for a guy who knows how to draft.
Unless he has some kind of superpowers it's going to be mostly shots in the dark like everyone else this year.

Literally the worst year ever to stockpile draft picks if you're good at drafting.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Unless he has some kind of superpowers it's going to be mostly shots in the dark like everyone else this year.

Literally the worst year ever to stockpile draft picks if you're good at drafting.

It's harder to draft at the top but also a bigger chance to get the best player in the draft in the last half of the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad