2020-21 Around the League part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Yep, and it still kinda irritates me that he wasted a whole bunch of prime years with an Avs team that was purposely not trying.

I've had a soft spot for Dater over the years but few things annoyed me more than his constant ragging on Stazz and his contract. He was not the problem--the crappy team around him was.
Meh, good player but wasting prime years on him are not like wasting prime Marcel Dionne.

Let’s not forget the many games where this guy was paid very well and was just invisible.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They're 5 points back of CBus and Chicago for 4th currently. CBus is playing a little better lately, but Chicago is dropping like a rock. The Preds are currently ahead of them by a point, but Nashville is littered with injuries now (Josi, Duchene, and Ellis all on IR).

Despite all that, Dallas has won only 4 of last 12, and 6 of their next 8 are vs. Tampa ×2, Florida ×2, and Carolina ×2. They could be out of it for good by the end of next week, if CBus picks up just 3 or 4 points on them in the standings.
Hey, I won’t cry if they miss the playoffs. Wouldn’t mind if they squeezed in only to soften up the Bolts for us.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It's funny how Nucks fans were so eager to defend their players in the Hughes vs Makar and Mackinnon vs EP polls that now they can't defend both players they just resort on sarcasm and hyperboles on our players :laugh:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It's funny how Nucks fans were so eager to defend their players in the Hughes vs Makar and Mackinnon vs EP polls that now they can't defend both players they just resort on sarcasm and hyperboles on our players :laugh:

I can imagine it’s pretty frustrating to make that nice run in the playoffs to raise expectations only to then backslide.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh, good player but wasting prime years on him are not like wasting prime Marcel Dionne.

Let’s not forget the many games where this guy was paid very well and was just invisible.

I know he wasn't a franchise-level gamebreaking player but that's where the dumb disconnect always was. It was only his second season in the league when the Avs decided to pull the plug. From 2008-9 until he left in 2014 the Avs didn't really put much of an effort toward building a team (and apparently didn't do anything of note in the draft either). He always was a legit top line scoring center the whole time he was in Denver. Only one of the eight seasons he played in Colorado (his first) did he have a legit NHL coach behind him. If they were so disappointed in him then they should've dealt him before he became a free agent. Really, if the idea was to just hold steady and build through the draft that's exactly what they should've done, especially after both O'Reilly and Duchene became viable centermen in the NHL. But whatever, that was a long time and many shitty GMs/coaches/players ago.

And I've already spoken ad nauseam about the bullshit "Casper" narrative, no need to repeat it again here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know he wasn't a franchise-level gamebreaking player but that's where the dumb disconnect always was. It was only his second season in the league when the Avs decided to pull the plug. From 2008-9 until he left in 2014 the Avs didn't really put much of an effort toward building a team (and apparently didn't do anything of note in the draft either). He always was a legit top line scoring center the whole time he was in Denver. Only one of the eight seasons he played in Colorado (his first) did he have a legit NHL coach behind him. If they were so disappointed in him then they should've dealt him before he became a free agent. Really, if the idea was to just hold steady and build through the draft that's exactly what they should've done, especially after both O'Reilly and Duchene became viable centermen in the NHL. But whatever, that was a long time and many shitty GMs/coaches/players ago.

And I've already spoken ad nauseam about the bullshit "Casper" narrative, no need to repeat it again here.

Stastny got a bunch of unfair hate. IMO the Avs thought 2008-09 through that draft was going to reset the whole rebuild and would be all that they really needed... and to be fair, they came far closer than they really should have. Grabbing both Duchene and ROR in the draft then steals in Elliott and Barrie... they knocked that draft out of the park. Elliot could never get away from being soft, but they got 3 legit top of the lineup players to build around with Wolski, Statsny, Stewey, Liles and Shatty. Combine that with an actual great move for goaltending in Anderson that blew up for off the ice reasons. They had a solid base and thought it was good enough. It was just a pure misevaluation and they pissed off and soured on some of those pieces quickly. 2011 they pushed the chips into the middle on Varly, EJ, and Landy being enough to build with on that core while swapping out Wolski, Stewart, Shatty, and Liles. I think they tried, they just missed on evaluations and kept stumbling on dumb squabbles.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think Makar goes #1 if the 2017 draft is re done today.
Dekey Pete was pretty average to start this season same with Heiskanen.

These kinds of things go back and forth, but I tend to agree right now.

Pettersson’s had an underwhelming year. I’m sure he’ll bounce back next season, but he’ll probably have to be 95+ point guy to be more valuable than Makar.

I was watching the Nashville/Dallas game last night. Heiskanen is still a beauty. Super silky. I like Makar more, but I’m biased of course. The production doesn’t lie and I just think he’s got a rarer skill-set.

Reactions: MaKarter

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not easy for Flames fans this year...:laugh:

zeA5Wy3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions