2020-21 Around the League part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
BUF could end up worst then DET last year and our nightmare season.

I feel for the players... Just listening to the Avs talk about the 16-17 season breaks my heart. I remember Mackinnon saying it was hard to come to the arena every day.

Hopefully that team figures it out at some point. Too much talent to be performing like this. Completely wasting a top-10 centre in Eichel.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I feel for the players... Just listening to the Avs talk about the 16-17 season breaks my heart. I remember Mackinnon saying it was hard to come to the arena every day.

Hopefully that team figures it out at some point. Too much talent to be performing like this. Completely wasting a top-10 centre in Eichel.

We'll give Eichel a good home here by sending the Sabres Kadri and JTC.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I remember when we as Avs fans said that about the 16-17 Avs until we really looked at the roster in the seasons afterward and realized like half of those guys couldn't even stay in the league the very next season.

There's some talent in Buffalo, yes. There's also a LOT of filler/garbage.

Eakin, Thompson, Mittlestadt, Lazar, Rieder, Sheahan, Okposo. That's more than half of their forward group. On the back end there is NOTHING there, and in goal it's even worse.

That team just isn't talented. Sure, they've got Eichel and Dahlin. Couple of good support pieces in Reinhart and Hall. Good young kid in Cozens. What else?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They repeatedly bring up Detroit losing the lottery, but no mention of Vancouver or Colorado.
That's because when the Red Wings whined to the public, the NHL went straight ahead to change it while they didn't give a damn about the Nucks or Avs. It's a blessing in disguise for both organisations though; Avs would've stupidly picked either Hischier or Patrick before Makar/Heiskanen if they kept one of the two top picks and without the Canes winning second overall pick in 2018, they might've not picked Hughes.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I kinda agreed with the Overdrive guys when they discussed this a few weeks back. If they want to introduce more parity to the league and help bad teams out, messing with the lottery changes nothing. Give them more cap flexibility. I'm not saying abolish the cap, but allow for one free buyout per 4-5 years or something, one player not counting against the cap etc.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I kinda agreed with the Overdrive guys when they discussed this a few weeks back. If they want to introduce more parity to the league and help bad teams out, messing with the lottery changes nothing. Give them more cap flexibility. I'm not saying abolish the cap, but allow for one free buyout per 4-5 years or something, one player not counting against the cap etc.
Cap flexibility doesn't really help bottom feeders. Detroit for example wouldn't really be aided by having more capspace as they're already swimming in capspace. I doubt owners of struggling franchises would want to sign off on that either. All it would do is give incompetent GM's a loophole to abuse.

Reactions: McMetal

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I can’t believe there are still some people debating Hughes and Makar on here and twitter and stuff. I probably had my homer glasses on but I never thought it was that close to begin with watching the two. The only aspect Hughes is better than Makar is on the PP.
You have to understand: Canucks fans have nothing going for them.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You have to understand: Canucks fans have nothing going for them.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I wouldn't say that they have nothing going for them.

They have numerous young pieces to build around, including a 1C (Petterson), 2C (Horvat), elite PMD/PPQB (Hughes), a good goalie (Demko), and a bunch of young top 6 wingers in Boeser, Hoglander, and Podkolzin. Not to mention veteran top 6F/top 4 D like Miller and Schmidt.

With a lot of money coming off the books in the next couple of years a good GM (which they admittedly lack) should be able to fill out the rest of the lineup to make this team a contender beyond 2022-23.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So in the end it happened 3 times in NHL history that a team dropped from #1 to #4.

Avs twice and Wings one time.
Meanwhile only the Wings are being mentioned. COL and VAN are not even mentioned.

Overall it is better but they are falling short in some areas. I'm happy with reducing the amount of times a team can win in a 5-year span. I have been advocating that for a few years now. However still allowing the team in the 11 spot to win 1st overall is not enough of a change. I would have capped the jump to 7 spots maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad