Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Couldn't agree more. By this logic, the best way out of a hole is to dig downwards.

The prospect cupboard has already been threadbare and we've put a couple of assets back in there that require some fermenting. Trading those assets away now will only damage the franchise's future further.

We need quality assets and a BIG focus on youth now. Doug's roll of the dice has not paid off, and I say that as someone who backed pretty much every trade he made in the past to put a winning team on the ice. The sooner we start to rebuild - and the sooner the fans greenlight that - the less time it'll take to be competitive again.

If we sell our best assets, it should be for high quality young guys (or picks) who have great potential down the line.

So you and others are down with a 10 year rebuild? Since the logic some you are using is that if we get eichel who is 24 and in or just around his prime and then we can't compete because of the long term contracts currently on the team, then it does not matter how we draft until those contracts end. Because we can't make the team better with those said contracts on the team. So the only option in some peoples opinion is to wait out the current contracts and start over.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think they realized scoring on Jones and Dubnyk in practice is merely creating a false sense of security for the forwards.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Maybe they realized if they can get shutdown for permanent covid reasons we can be guaranteed a top 3 pick.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
So you and others are down with a 10 year rebuild? Since the logic some you are using is that if we get eichel who is 24 and in or just around his prime and then we can't compete because of the long term contracts currently on the team, then it does not matter how we draft until those contracts end. Because we can't make the team better with those said contracts on the team. So the only option in some peoples opinion is to wait out the current contracts and start over.

Yes, because I honestly think our hiatus from contention will be even longer without a proper rebuild. I also think a proper rebuild will be 5-7 years rather than 10+

Besides, Eichel is a UFA in 5 years. There's NO chance we'll be competing by then with the contracts we have - a 29 year old Eichel who has allegedly disliked losing in Buffalo, would be off in a flash after 5 years of basement dwelling.

If you're going to rebuild, you start this summer by making a sweet deal with Seattle to kick start the process.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yes, because I honestly think our hiatus from contention will be even longer without a proper rebuild. I also think a proper rebuild will be 5-7 years rather than 10+

Besides, Eichel is a UFA in 5 years. There's NO chance we'll be competing by then with the contracts we have - a 29 year old Eichel who has allegedly disliked losing in Buffalo, would be off in a flash after 5 years of basement dwelling.

If you're going to rebuild, you start this summer by making a sweet deal with Seattle to kick start the process.

The only problem with this team is we have like 9 players that are like putting squares into a round hole. We have talent but the talent is playing outside of there strengths, couture is good but he is not a legit number 1 center, hertl also is not a legit number 1 center. Getting eichel places one of those 2 in there rightful spot on the roster as 2C (my guess is 1 of them goes in the trade).

And that gives the team a big boost to the lower lines. As now they have a top line player that can take over games the majority of the nights. So that takes pressure off of them to carry the weight every game.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

It would entirely depend on who was traded to acquire Eichel. If you were to magically add him to the roster as is today the Sharks are immediately a playoff team even with all of the flaws they currently have. From there you are more likely to be able to retool the roster, bad contracts as all into a contender than become a contender via a full rebuild.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Fans aren’t the only reason for a home advantage. It’s taxing as hell to be on the road for 3 months and not seeing your family for 3 months and having no break from hockey for 3 months.
Being home sure hasn't helped Hertl's game, i'll tell you that.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
These Vegas games are really important because we need these L's for the lottery

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Do you say anything positive? Why do you watch this team? Shit man.
No. I got spoiled by years of good play. They suck now. If they at least commit to a direction then that's a different story but right now it seems they're in denial or at least in flux as to what they want to be.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No. I got spoiled by years of good play. They suck now. If they at least commit to a direction then that's a different story but right now it seems they're in denial or at least in flux as to what they want to be.
I don’t think they’re really in denial. I don’t see this fan base being able to sit through a full rebuild so they’re rebuilding by playing the likes of Jones and Vlasic who to the casual fan make it seem like they are competing but to the fans that actually know they need a rebuild, they are seeing that they aren’t putting the best team out there and that they will get a good pick to help the team moving forward. Now this can only go on for so long before the casual fan starts to tune out the Sharks cause they suck but casual fans know nothing. I will never forget when I went to a Sharks game and the guy the row behind me said something along the lines of get number 19 out of here, he sucks.

Reactions: ChompChomp

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don’t think they’re really in denial. I don’t see this fan base being able to sit through a full rebuild so they’re rebuilding by playing the likes of Jones and Vlasic who to the casual fan make it seem like they are competing but to the fans that actually know they need a rebuild, they are seeing that they aren’t putting the best team out there and that they will get a good pick to help the team moving forward. Now this can only go on for so long before the casual fan starts to tune out the Sharks cause they suck but casual fans know nothing. I will never forget when I went to a Sharks game and the guy the row behind me said something along the lines of get number 19 out of here, he sucks.
The fact that the fanbase thinks trading for Eichel would alleviate a lot of the issues says all I need to hear. I know it's the fans and not the organization, but the reality is the only way this team is going to find success again is if they commit to just tearing it down and retooling. It happens when an organization is good for so long. It happened to Detroit and now it's happening to us and will happen to Chicago. If the fans can't accept it needs to happen then that's not a good enough reason to continue living in this delusional state that the team can still contend. Getting Thornton the way we did doesn't happen often and that was a huge factor into why were able to thrive for so long. I don't have a lot of hope of that happening again.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The fact that the fanbase thinks trading for Eichel would alleviate a lot of the issues says all I need to hear. I know it's the fans and not the organization, but the reality is the only way this team is going to find success again is if they commit to just tearing it down and retooling. It happens when an organization is good for so long. It happened to Detroit and now it's happening to us and will happen to Chicago. If the fans can't accept it needs to happen then that's not a good enough reason to continue living in this delusional state that the team can still contend. Getting Thornton the way we did doesn't happen often and that was a huge factor into why were able to thrive for so long. I don't have a lot of hope of that happening again.
Yes and no about trading for Eichel. While I think he would solve our biggest problem for the future which is elite talent, I think the issue is then any pieces that we have left would all have to hit in order for us to be a contender.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
It doesn't solve all problems, but one of the hardest things to do when building a team is getting elite talent. Especially considering that Doug is unwilling to just go full tank, and that this draft year doesn't exactly have a lot of elite center depth, there's not really much of another choice, unless we just straight up waste another year and try to go full Detroit next year.

Also Chicago did just come out and say that they were going full tank, which is hilarious considering they're a top-10 team this year.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Right, but the point of "tearing it down and retooling" is to get a chance at a player like Eichel. Mid-level pieces can be had through trade or development, but a player of his caliber is a rare commodity. Trading for Eichel and being able to use players like Couture, Meier, Kane, Hertl, Donato, Labanc (minus whoever is involved in the trade) as complementary pieces rather than drivers of the offense *does* alleviate a lot of the team's issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad