Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Few things in here. I don't think Simek is worth near a 2nd rounder given his injury history, contract, and overall small sample size of NHL games. Would also keep Marleau if he is willing to stick around as the games played record likely means more this year than a 4th or 5th round lottery ticket.

I am not really interested in giving up a 2nd for Bennett. Don't need a 3C that can't score that is going to command $3 mil a year on his next deal. At some point you can't let draft position cause you to overpay for what a player is now. Bennett will be 25 next season with 6 seasons in the league. Not going to magically turn into a good NHLer imo.

As it relates to moving forward, you have to find a way to clear salary and acquire a young top 6 forward. I would be willing to entertain trade offers for basically anyone in the organization not named Mario Ferraro at this juncture. If you get a good offer for Meier, Hertl, etc. you make the move based on where we are right now and likely going to be unless we find a way to offload the contracts of guys like Vlasic, Jones, etc.
Simek I disagree because he’s looked good in like 90% of the games he’s played. Doesn’t really matter though because doubt that one will happen. I did forget to mention that the expansion eligible D would be a cap dump-ish player.

Bennett has never been given the chance. When he’s not with pylons, he’s looked good. He played a few games with Gaudreau/Monahan when Elias Lindholm was injured or out (don’t remember) and looked really good. It’s not draft stock, it’s giving a 2nd because he obviously has the skill and I could see him taking over as 2C when Couture/Hertl get traded.

Agreed for the most part on the last part. I’d add a few names into the untouchables (Merkley, Wiesblatt, Bordeleau, Leonard) everyone else can go for the right deal.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Bennett has never been given the chance. When he’s not with pylons, he’s looked good. He played a few games with Gaudreau/Monahan when Elias Lindholm was injured or out (don’t remember) and looked really good. It’s not draft stock, it’s giving a 2nd because he obviously has the skill and I could see him taking over as 2C when Couture/Hertl get traded.

I like the thought, but the Sharks org employs all skaters as pylons with sticks. ;)
#2 overall pick? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Finnish Flash? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Sick dangler Donskoi? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Smallish Sorensen? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Swift moving Gambrell? Go dig out that puck in the corner.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I like the thought, but the Sharks org employs all skaters as pylons with sticks. ;)
#2 overall pick? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Finnish Flash? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Sick dangler Donskoi? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Smallish Sorensen? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
Swift moving Gambrell? Go dig out that puck in the corner.
I mean all those guys have more skill than Lucic, Leivo, Simon, Rinaldo, Nordstrom, Buddy Robinson, probably more I’m forgetting.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
My new TDL plan:

1. Trade our rentals (Marleau, Dubnyk, Sorensen, Nieto Noesen). I think we’d be able to pick up at least a second, a third, and maybe 3-4 4ths or 5ths.

2. Trade Simek for a 2nd and a D that fits expansion requirements

3. See if anyone will give us good packages for anyone over 25 but I’m going to assume they won’t.

4. Trade a 2nd for Bennett and a 3rd or couple of 4ths for Mete.

Roll with:
Donato-Couture-Labanc
Kane-Hertl-Leonard
Gregor-Bennett-Gambrell
Balcers-True-Kellman

Vlasic-Burns
Ferraro-EK
Knyzhov-Mete

Jones
Melnichuk
If Calgary is going to the playoffs they won't trade Bennet. They like him specifically for how he plays in the playoffs. Probably have to pick him up in the off season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Why would he perform in the playoffs then? If he’s unhappy, why would he help the cause of his unhappiness?
Because from the sound of it, it has nothing to do with his teammates. Look man I'm just relaying what I read. I don't see teams succumbing to every players trade demands from here on out just cause it worked for a few guys. If players think they're going to start doing that regularly the owners are going to push for contracts like the NFL where they can cut people when they want and get out from under contracts. The players will end up screwed in the long run. I bet the NHLPA steps in to reprimand their members before it gets to that though. Players refusing to honor their contracts hurts when it comes to negotiating the CBA.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Because from the sound of it, it has nothing to do with his teammates. Look man I'm just relaying what I read. I don't see teams succumbing to every players trade demands from here on out just cause it worked for a few guys. If players think they're going to start doing that regularly the owners are going to push for contracts like the NFL where they can cut people when they want and get out from under contracts. The players will end up screwed in the long run. I bet the NHLPA steps in to reprimand their members before it gets to that though. Players refusing to honor their contracts hurts when it comes to negotiating the CBA.

And then you are just going to get contracts like the nfl where players get all of the money upfront in bonuses and nothing in actual salary.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I just realized we're paying 7 million dollars a year for a defenseman who has 0 points this season and has taken 7 shots.
giphy-downsized.gif

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
And then you are just going to get contracts like the nfl where players get all of the money upfront in bonuses and nothing in actual salary.
What's wrong with that? they won't be getting more than they're supposedly worth though typically. A few teams like the raiders pay guys then if it doesn't work out they're able to move on with almost no dead money.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
What's wrong with that? they won't be getting more than they're supposedly worth though typically. A few teams like the raiders pay guys then if it doesn't work out they're able to move on with almost no dead money.

Because in the nhl that kind of stuff will not work, there are only a handful of teams that would be able to pay 80 million dollars on the spot and even then i don't think those owners would actually do it.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Because in the nhl that kind of stuff will not work, there are only a handful of teams that would be able to pay 80 million dollars on the spot and even then i don't think those owners would actually do it.
It wouldn't be that much anymore. Not without an increase in revenue. A lot would change if they went to that. You wouldn't see teams signing 30 year olds for 8 seasons anymore. NHFL players are UFA 4 to 5 years in. If they can't agree the team can franchise tag the player. there would be a lot more movement.

Anyway, this is really off the beaten path. Point being, I don' think Bennet is a TDL move for Calgary. Maybe they move him now if management gets an offer that helps them this season. Other wise it sounds like they want to keep him this season for how he plays in the playoffs. Not my theory or opinion, just what I read. Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
haha yeah, I know. I like EK65 :). just kinda our luck that his shooting percentage dropped on the sharks. Or is it luck? probably the system.
That is true. His shooting percentage did crater with the Sharks but I assumed it was the low percentage shots in PDBs system but then it didn't get much better last season. Recovering from groin surgery does affect your slap shot though. It was a long time before I felt "right" taking slap shots after I had the surgery. Skating was comfortable quicker but slap shots where you lift a leg was difficult.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Culture needs to change, and I honestly thought Karlsson being “the guy” would do that to some extent but he seems very disinterested after going through the same thing in Ottawa. f*** I wish that contract never got signed.

I don't think Karlsson has been "the guy" since he arrived, which may be part of the problem. His skating has obviously declined but he's shown the last few weeks he can still make rushes, join rushes, make creative plays, be a positive offensively. Sometimes it feels, however, that when he makes plays and tries to take charge of the offense that the top forwards don't like it and just want to play the "system structure" way of pucks in deep, back to the point, get to the net... He was the best player two years ago during his amazing stretch for 1.5 months where the team was winning a ton but that team had Pavelski, Couture, Kane, Burns, Hertl, Meier, Thornton, and Labanc all playing well with him. The last 5 games the big 4 haven't been going and so he only has 2 points in that span and not 5 or 6, but the way he's been playing with the puck is a lot more reminiscent of prime Erik and not the one from last season who barely skated with the puck. Hopefully EK9, Hertl, Meier, and Couture can find some good form and the things he's trying to do to create chances will lead to goals.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think Karlsson has been "the guy" since he arrived, which may be part of the problem. His skating has obviously declined but he's shown the last few weeks he can still make rushes, join rushes, make creative plays, be a positive offensively. Sometimes it feels, however, that when he makes plays and tries to take charge of the offense that the top forwards don't like it and just want to play the "system structure" way of pucks in deep, back to the point, get to the net... He was the best player two years ago during his amazing stretch for 1.5 months where the team was winning a ton but that team had Pavelski, Couture, Kane, Burns, Hertl, Meier, Thornton, and Labanc all playing well with him. The last 5 games the big 4 haven't been going and so he only has 2 points in that span and not 5 or 6, but the way he's been playing with the puck is a lot more reminiscent of prime Erik and not the one from last season who barely skated with the puck. Hopefully EK9, Hertl, Meier, and Couture can find some good form and the things he's trying to do to create chances will lead to goals.

I agree about the bolded. The team is not letting its best player be its best player. They already have Burns shooting from the point and are trying to get Karlsson to do the same. The team does not have enough physicality and net presence to really capitalize on such shots. Most of our shots get blocked way before anyway.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

That's the dark underbelly of Sharks' hockey.

tumblr_o00qubyEOi1ubke0wo4_400.gifv

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Simek I disagree because he’s looked good in like 90% of the games he’s played. Doesn’t really matter though because doubt that one will happen. I did forget to mention that the expansion eligible D would be a cap dump-ish player.

Agreed for the most part on the last part. I’d add a few names into the untouchables (Merkley, Wiesblatt, Bordeleau, Leonard) everyone else can go for the right deal.
He's healthy scratched tonight

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad