Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
DW is not going to pick up DeAngelo. He currently has negative value across the league IF DW is interested he will trade a bad contract.
I also don't see how adding another R handed D makes any sense.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
DW is not going to pick up DeAngelo. He currently has negative value across the league IF DW is interested he will trade a bad contract.
He cleared waivers

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

At this point, you only trade for DeAngelo if the Rangers add something of value to take him.

Reactions: themelkman

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I would too but can’t see the Rangers doing it. They’d probably prefer to buy him out in the off-season lol

I would do that trade only to put ADA on the taxi squad. Terminate or buy out the contract over the summer and reap the savings of getting Vlasic off the books

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would do that trade only to put ADA on the taxi squad. Terminate or buy out the contract over the summer and reap the savings of getting Vlasic off the books

I’d be okay with playing ADA and also be okay with sitting him before buying him out but I’d look to then trade him if they can get any sort of value out of it.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I’d be okay with playing ADA and also be okay with sitting him before buying him out but I’d look to then trade him if they can get any sort of value out of it.

I'd be worried that in the long-term, playing ADA send bad signals to the fans. I get it from a purely hockey perspective, but the Sharks (and every team), need revenue. Isolating fans in favor of hockey ops is a tough gamble right now.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
You all forget that Doug Wilson traded for Joe Thornton after he was arrested for assaulting a police officer. We have 4.9 mil in cap space right now. Bob Boughner and Rocky Thompson are pretty tight with his old coach, Trevor Letowski.

I’m telling you guys, Doug Wilson is going to pull the trigger on this guy. Doing it via waivers instead of future considerations has Doug Wilson written all over it as well.

“We saw an opportunity to improve our team now and for the future. We think Tony is a dynamic defenseman who plays the game the right way, with a little bit of a chip on his sleeve. Looking forward to seeing what he can do to help out our second power play.”

Plus, say what you will, PPG RHD at TDL next season is going to return a kings ransom. People will forget all his bullshit once he is out of a market like New York.

I'm willing to entertain it. The locker room probably isn't that jolly, but then again I wouldn't really call this a "team". ;) So, Deangelo's bar for "good" behavior and contributions would be pretty low.

Plus, he seems like the kind of bud who'd fight a teammate after PP2 fails to register a shot. :sarcasm:

But, more seriously, I agree that Wilson could easily change the narrative on Deangelo (or any player). The Wilson industrial complex seems to have a fairly tight grip over all Sharks coverage and what storylines play out.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd be worried that in the long-term, playing ADA send bad signals to the fans. I get it from a purely hockey perspective, but the Sharks (and every team), need revenue. Isolating fans in favor of hockey ops is a tough gamble right now.

I get that too which is why I wouldn’t mind sitting him or not acquiring him at all. I only think getting him makes any sense if the Rangers make it worth our while by letting us out of a bad contract or giving us a quality asset.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They will most likely by him out since it’s will only cost 1/3 of his contract.

Yup probably. That’s also why it may be easier to help them out because you have to wait for that unless there’s a contract termination option there.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Yup probably. That’s also why it may be easier to help them out because you have to wait for that unless there’s a contract termination option there.
Friedge said they would be trying to terminate the contract but they’re not sure if they can without DeAngelo agreeing to it. Never really been a precedent before.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Friedge said they would be trying to terminate the contract but they’re not sure if they can without DeAngelo agreeing to it. Never really been a precedent before.

Yeah a contract termination is mutual unless they have something to void the deal. Otherwise, they have to wait for the window. I’d help them out and get something for the trouble then wait it out. It’s easier to be an issue in a locker room you’ve been in than one you’d be going into but told to stay home.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Obviously not the issue of the day, but can I just take a second to say thank f*** Doug didn't do with Matt Murray what he did with Antti Niemi? It could have been a totally DW move to go out and grab the goalie that beat you in the playoffs, and arguably sounded like a better move than signing Dubnyk. But seeing how that worked out for Ottawa, holy schnikeys did we dodge a bullet

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Obviously not the issue of the day, but can I just take a second to say thank f*** Doug didn't do with Matt Murray what he did with Antti Niemi? It could have been a totally DW move to go out and grab the goalie that beat you in the playoffs, and arguably sounded like a better move than signing Dubnyk. But seeing how that worked out for Ottawa, holy schnikeys did we dodge a bullet
Matt Murray has always been overrated. I'm as surprised as anyone that DW didn't try for him; it's right up his alley.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Matt Murray has always been overrated. I'm as surprised as anyone that DW didn't try for him; it's right up his alley.
Right? He ticked all the DW boxes: Cup winner, beat the Sharks in the playoffs, fundamentally iffy and massively overrated. Combine that with him being available and playing an area of need, and I'm a little shocked we didn't line up to overpay him :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad