Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I would expect Gambrell and Kellman to be on the taxi squad if they aren't the healthy scratches since they need at least four there.
They still have to get waived for the Taxi squad though, so if Bergmann and Gambrell are both candidates for the last roster spot, they will just put Bergmann on the taxi squad to avoid messing with waivers, as it is basically the same thing.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They still have to get waived for the Taxi squad though, so if Bergmann and Gambrell are both candidates for the last roster spot, they will just put Bergmann on the taxi squad to avoid messing with waivers, as it is basically the same thing.

Yeah, I'd expect them to avoid waivers where they can since they're not going to know how often they will need players with everything going on. But I don't know for sure that they'd need to be waived to join the taxi squad. They may be paid on their AHL salary but they're only allowed to be with the NHL team and nothing I've seen confirms that they'd need waivers until they're actually being assigned to the AHL or some other league.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They need to be waived to be put on it. Its just like being in the A

No, it's not because they're not allowed to do anything but be with the NHL team. They're paid like they're in the A but they haven't actually clarified if waivers are required for it from what I've seen.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah, I'd expect them to avoid waivers where they can since they're not going to know how often they will need players with everything going on. But I don't know for sure that they'd need to be waived to join the taxi squad. They may be paid on their AHL salary but they're only allowed to be with the NHL team and nothing I've seen confirms that they'd need waivers until they're actually being assigned to the AHL or some other league.

As stated in the Tweet above, the taxi squad will comprise four to six players. Those players on the squad who require waivers will still be held to those same rules, and recalls must happen before 5 p.m. The new rules also require that a goalie be part of the squad if a third goalie is not already part of the regular season roster.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I would expect Gambrell and Kellman to be on the taxi squad if they aren't the healthy scratches since they need at least four there.

Gambrell has to clear waivers, so I think he's more likely a healthy scratch since I doubt they want to lose him for nothing (particularly if they want to be able to expose him at the expansion draft).

I think you're looking at this to start the season (* must clear waivers):

Starters (20) - Couture*, Kane*, Meier*, Hertl*, Labanc*, Donato*, Leonard, Noesen*, Gregor, Kellman*, Marleau*, Nieto*; Karlsson, Burns*, Vlasic, Simek*, Ferraro, Pasichnuk; Jones*, Dubnyk*

Scratches (3) - Sorensen*, Gambrell*, Middleton*

Taxi Squad (6) - Bergmann, Gabriel*, Händemark, Suomela*, Merkley, Melnichuk

Barracuda (13) - Gallant, Viel, Chmelevski, True, Blichfeld, Halbgewachs, Letunov, McGrew; Knyzhov, Carrick*, Meloche*, DeSimone*; Korenar

Europe (5) - Chekhovich, Dahlen, Ibragimov, Sund, Knyazev

CHL/Barracuda/Who Knows (5) - Wiesblatt, Robins, Hamaliuk, Kotkov, Emond

That exposes two players on one-year contracts to waivers, plus the three older Barracuda defensemen.

I think Merkley gets sent down to the Barracuda when their camp starts up (probably around 25 Jan), unless he totally wows the Sharks in the meantime, and is replaced by one of DeSimone or Meloche for the taxi squad.

It's also possible one of the forwards goes down to the Barracuda and are replaced on the taxi squad by a second defenseman to start the season.

Reactions: NiWa and Mattb124

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Thats a stretch to say. It's camp and BB is still figuring out what combinations work the best. Donato can just as easily be placed back on that line.

I guess I will now have to read everything in context to determine if is a coach or a defenseman I'm reading about. :sarcasm:

BB88 vs BBc?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Gambrell has to clear waivers, so I think he's more likely a healthy scratch since I doubt they want to lose him for nothing (particularly if they want to be able to expose him at the expansion draft).

I think you're looking at this to start the season (* must clear waivers):

Starters (20) - Couture*, Kane*, Meier*, Hertl*, Labanc*, Donato*, Leonard, Noesen*, Gregor, Kellman*, Marleau*, Nieto*; Karlsson, Burns*, Vlasic, Simek*, Ferraro, Pasichnuk; Jones*, Dubnyk*

Scratches (3) - Sorensen*, Gambrell*, Middleton*

Taxi Squad (6) - Bergmann, Gabriel*, Händemark, Suomela*, Merkley, Melnichuk

Barracuda (13) - Gallant, Viel, Chmelevski, True, Blichfeld, Halbgewachs, Letunov, McGrew; Knyzhov, Carrick*, Meloche*, DeSimone*; Korenar

Europe (5) - Chekhovich, Dahlen, Ibragimov, Sund, Knyazev

CHL/Barracuda/Who Knows (5) - Wiesblatt, Robins, Hamaliuk, Kotkov, Emond

That exposes two players on one-year contracts to waivers, plus the three older Barracuda defensemen.

I think Merkley gets sent down to the Barracuda when their camp starts up (probably around 25 Jan), unless he totally wows the Sharks in the meantime, and is replaced by one of DeSimone or Meloche for the taxi squad.

It's also possible one of the forwards goes down to the Barracuda and are replaced on the taxi squad by a second defenseman to start the season.
I think they're going to have to make a couple decisions because I doubt Handy is on the Taxi squad long. I think he's going to be the 4th line center by the 15th game or earlier. Coaches love to win face-offs and he might be the best guy on the team at it other than Hertl. Agree with everything else though.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Marleau and Nosen on the fourth line is an actual good fourth line too. Just really depends on if Leonard, Gregor and Nieto can contribute at a top 9 rate.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Is Donato fast? Because if so that could be a pretty fast line with Gambrell and Long Beach native from Long Beach California Matthew Nieto

Based on what I have read on the Wild and Bruins pages, he has a great shot and offensive instincts, average speed, and has poor defense/positioning/play away from the puck. Hot and cold production (not uncommon).

Reactions: themelkman

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Based on what I have read on the Wild and Bruins pages, he has a great shot and offensive instincts, average speed, and has poor defense/positioning/play away from the puck. Hot and cold production (not uncommon).

Great shot and offensive instincts? He’d be good to put on Thornton’s wing instead of Sorenson.

Donato-Thornton-Labanc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad