Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I would love to hear how spending 21 mil on the best player in the NHL and a guy who is barely worse, when the cap is 81 mil, is in any way whatsoever stopping EDM from affording depth. I guess that forced Edm to sign almost 40 mil of useless, or overpaid, or both, players like Neal(Lucic), Kassian, Chiasson, Archibald, Khaira, Nurse, Larsson, Russell, Koskinen and Smith?

I love how you then immediately bring up Crosby and Malkin, who actually costed an even higher percentage of the cap when they signed their post ELC deals than Mcdavid/Drai do, yet went on to win 3 cups together. Gee that really bit them in the ass didn't it.

Even Kane and Toews got paid nicely after their ELC, and Chi won multiple cups with them as well. Same for Kopitar and Doughty.

Not even Toronto fits with the narrative you are pushing, as it was not Marner and Matthews that forced cap trouble onto Toronto, it was them being greedy and trying to fit another 11mil center onto the team right before they KNEW they were going to have to pay Marner, Matthews and even Nylander. If Toronto had not done that, even with those two now, they would have an extra 11 mil currently to sign better defensman and fill out the forward group a little better.

This years cup has two teams that signed their studs to long contracts in their primes.

Then we have SJ, who never signed any of their best players to long term contracts in their primes, and has won zero cups, and is now in cap hell with major holes in the lineup. I fail to see how that has helped us in any way whatsoever.

Kane and Toews both signed 5 year deals at 6.3 million in 2010 way below market value for both of them and defintely not long term during that time. Marleau, Vanek, and Paul Stastny, were just some of the names that had higher cap hits than them, so yeah they were paid "nicely", but they were not locked up long term, and they took much less than they were worth.

Kopitar was a PPG #1 centre in 2009-2010 in the first year of his contract and he was making 6.8 mill, a bargain when you look at the players that had higher caphits than him during that time. Same with Doughty who was probably the best defenceman in the league when he signed his contract.

The exception to this is Crosby and Malkin so I'll give you those 2, they were paid what they were worth. Though even then after their first cup win it took them 6 years to win again, and thats with a team having the 2 best players in the league, and with the cap rising substantially.

Mcdavid and Draisatl are worth their contracts, they are paid what they are worth, maybe in the next 5-6 years they do win the cup, who knows, I think their in for a rough 2-3 years before we start seeing any type of improvement. There's a reason why the Oilers went the furthest they did when Mcdavid and Drai were on the ELCs.

Matthews and to a lesser extent Marner are paid their market worth, they're atleast much closer than Edm is, but their is no way they compete with the way their cap is currently strucutred, whether they got "greedy" or not with Tavares is irrelevant.

EDIT:

And to your point of this years cup team signing two of their studs to long term contracts, Point signed a brilliant bridge deal, and a 27 year old Kucherov is worth much more than the 9.5 mill caphit that his contract brings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Kane and Toews both signed 5 year deals at 6.3 million in 2010 way below market value for both of them and defintely not long term during that time. Marleau, Vanek, and Paul Stastny, were just some of the names that had higher cap hits than them, so yeah they were paid "nicely", but they were not locked up long term, and they took much less than they were worth.

Not sure I agree they were undervalued contracts given the time(RFA's getting paid way less). Also they were 11% of the cap, just like Drai, who you are trying to paint as part of the problem in EDM so.......

Also even though they were not locked up to super long term contracts, they also certainly were not bridge deals either, unless we consider 5+ year contracts bridges now.

Kopitar was a PPG #1 centre in 2009-2010 in the first year of his contract and he was making 6.8 mill, a bargain when you look at the players that had higher caphits than him during that time. Same with Doughty who was probably the best defenceman in the league when he signed his contract.

Thats the point though, it was a bargain. A bargain that was most likely possible because Kopitar had only played 2? years in the NHL and was a young RFA. Thus his bargaining power was less then that of a player who is UFA age, or that you were purchasing a good chunk of UFA years from.

Since we are talking about bridge contracts being so awesome, that is why I am disagreeing. Getting your young hopeful stud like Kopitar signed sooner and longer is far better than playing the "prove it" game for 2-3 years promising to pay him more later. Because then later comes around and he has proven his worth and now instead of having Kopitar for like 3+ more years at 6 mil, you have to pay him 10+ mil AND he is 3 years older.

The exception to this is Crosby and Malkin so I'll give you those 2, they were paid what they were worth. Though even then after their first cup win it took them 6 years to win again, and thats with a team having the 2 best players in the league, and with the cap rising substantially.

Yeah? They still won a cup with their cap hits being super harsh, and it took them a few years to rearrange the cast around them aftwards. So? Your argument, or at least the insinuation, was that young superstar duos getting paid is hurting their team somehow, yet so far I see no example of that being true as long as those superstars are actually superstars.

Mcdavid and Draisatl are worth their contracts, they are paid what they are worth, maybe in the next 5-6 years they do win the cup, who knows, I think their in for a rough 2-3 years before we start seeing any type of improvement. There's a reason why the Oilers went the furthest they did when Mcdavid and Drai were on the ELCs.

Matthews and to a lesser extent Marner are paid their market worth, they're atleast much closer than Edm is, but their is no way they compete with the way their cap is currently strucutred, whether they got "greedy" or not with Tavares is irrelevant.

Drai is not paid what he's worth, that is untrue, he is on a steal of a deal. Easily worth Mcdavid money right now, however that furthers my point that you do not wait to sign your studs to long term contracts. If they bridged Drai, and his contract had ended in the last two years, they would have to pay him ass loads. Even McDavid's contract is sneaky good, especially if the cap was not unexpectedly stunted, as there are a couple players now making nearly as much as McDavid and are no where near as good as him.

For Toronto it is the point though. You were trying to blame Matthews and Marner for Toronto's depth issues when they are not the problem. The problem was the GM disregarding depth, and trying to build a top heavy team, RIGHT BEFORE having to pay their two studs. EVERYONE in the entire hockey world knew that they were going to be in cap hell because of it. So to single out their young studs getting paid their worth as a problem is stupid AF.

Bridge deals are not always bad, but to argue that paying 2 bonfide stars going into their prime is a problem is asinine. Also bridge contracts is how you wind up having to pay guys like Vlasic and Cooch 8 mil at the tail end of their prime going into their twilight years. They should have been paid their worth long ago, and now be in a position where their contracts were just about ending, where you can decide if you want to move on from 30 year olds, or maybe get them signed to shorter or lower priced end of career contracts depending on how good they have been.

Lastly, even if you want to argue that you take a risk signing a young potential stud long term, I would just say that it is infinitely easier to trade a 22-25yo potential star who is struggling and making a little too much, then it would be to trade a 30+yo past star who looks like he is declining making a little too much and still signed for 5+years. So even if the contract does not pan out, the chance that you can recoup or create decent assets from that young player is much higher.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Not sure I agree they were undervalued contracts given the time(RFA's getting paid way less). Also they were 11% of the cap, just like Drai, who you are trying to paint as part of the problem in EDM so.......

Also even though they were not locked up to super long term contracts, they also certainly were not bridge deals either, unless we consider 5+ year contracts bridges now.

Thats the point though, it was a bargain. A bargain that was most likely possible because Kopitar had only played 2? years in the NHL and was a young RFA. Thus his bargaining power was less then that of a player who is UFA age, or that you were purchasing a good chunk of UFA years from.

Since we are talking about bridge contracts being so awesome, that is why I am disagreeing. Getting your young hopeful stud like Kopitar signed sooner and longer is far better than playing the "prove it" game for 2-3 years promising to pay him more later. Because then later comes around and he has proven his worth and now instead of having Kopitar for like 3+ more years at 6 mil, you have to pay him 10+ mil AND he is 3 years older.

Yeah? They still won a cup with their cap hits being super harsh, and it took them a few years to rearrange the cast around them aftwards. So? Your argument, or at least the insinuation, was that young superstar duos getting paid is hurting their team somehow, yet so far I see no example of that being true as long as those superstars are actually superstars.

Drai is not paid what he's worth, that is untrue, he is on a steal of a deal. Easily worth Mcdavid money right now, however that furthers my point that you do not wait to sign your studs to long term contracts. If they bridged Drai, and his contract had ended in the last two years, they would have to pay him ass loads. Even McDavid's contract is sneaky good, especially if the cap was not unexpectedly stunted, as there are a couple players now making nearly as much as McDavid and are no where near as good as him.

For Toronto it is the point though. You were trying to blame Matthews and Marner for Toronto's depth issues when they are not the problem. The problem was the GM disregarding depth, and trying to build a top heavy team, RIGHT BEFORE having to pay their two studs. EVERYONE in the entire hockey world knew that they were going to be in cap hell because of it. So to single out their young studs getting paid their worth as a problem is stupid AF.

Bridge deals are not always bad, but to argue that paying 2 bonfide stars going into their prime is a problem is asinine. Also bridge contracts is how you wind up having to pay guys like Vlasic and Cooch 8 mil at the tail end of their prime going into their twilight years. They should have been paid their worth long ago, and now be in a position where their contracts were just about ending, where you can decide if you want to move on from 30 year olds, or maybe get them signed to shorter or lower priced end of career contracts depending on how good they have been.

Lastly, even if you want to argue that you take a risk signing a young potential stud long term, I would just say that it is infinitely easier to trade a 22-25yo potential star who is struggling and making a little too much, then it would be to trade a 30+yo past star who looks like he is declining making a little too much and still signed for 5+years. So even if the contract does not pan out, the chance that you can recoup or create decent assets from that young player is much higher.

The RFA point is moot when Mcdavid and co were also RFAs when they signed their deals. This is besides the point and I think my original statement got muddled, and my Malkin/Crosby comparison was a poor one.

The argument that I'm trying to make is that there were two teams that signed their top players to massive deals out of the get go. It took Crosby and Malkin 6 years to win their cups after getting their deals, and took Ovechkin 11. Now fair point they did ultimately end up winning, but the last 7/10 Stanley Cup winners did not have the types of contracts that were dolled out to their star players like Edm and Tor.

The point that I was trying to make was, that it was too bad that the 6x6 given to Couture and Pavelski etc, or the 4.75x5 to Vlasic were not players on Kopitar/Kane/Doughty etc level, and while those teams are paying for it now, same as we are, atleast they got their cups.

That I would aim to sign these players to reasonable short term deals now, and have better odds of building a strong team around them now, then signing them to the massive deals that they got and rolling the dice that in year 6,7, or 8 of their contracts the cap has gone up enough and the team has been built good enough to maybe win.

PS: can anyone tell me how to quote a comment into sections, have no clue how to do this, and would be much easier to respond to your post lol.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Reactions: FunkyPhin

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I wonder if the sharks could be interested in Alex Galchenyuk. I would say no, but he could come in pretty cheap
I've said I would like to see DW make one big trade/FA move, and one small one. I think that is a good example of a potential small one with low risk high reward if the contract is cheap enough. Maybe a more "market value" option would be better if you view the roster spot as a filler guy to hold a spot until younger guys are ready.

Two different approaches of what to do with that spot. I think both are fine options. Just depends on what they want to do.

Reactions: themelkman

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
The RFA point is moot when Mcdavid and co were also RFAs when they signed their deals. This is besides the point and I think my original statement got muddled, and my Malkin/Crosby comparison was a poor one.

The argument that I'm trying to make is that there were two teams that signed their top players to massive deals out of the get go. It took Crosby and Malkin 6 years to win their cups after getting their deals, and took Ovechkin 11. Now fair point they did ultimately end up winning, but the last 7/10 Stanley Cup winners did not have the types of contracts that were dolled out to their star players like Edm and Tor.

The point that I was trying to make was, that it was too bad that the 6x6 given to Couture and Pavelski etc, or the 4.75x5 to Vlasic were not players on Kopitar/Kane/Doughty etc level, and while those teams are paying for it now, same as we are, atleast they got their cups.

That I would aim to sign these players to reasonable short term deals now, and have better odds of building a strong team around them now, then signing them to the massive deals that they got and rolling the dice that in year 6,7, or 8 of their contracts the cap has gone up enough and the team has been built good enough to maybe win.

PS: can anyone tell me how to quote a comment into sections, have no clue how to do this, and would be much easier to respond to your post lol.

I just fail to see how 60mil is not enough cap space to surround two superstars with depth. That is my main disagreement with what you are implying or saying.

I mean EDM specifically has the vast majority of their extra cap tied up into absolutely terrible or overpaid players. I completely fail to see how if they just got rid of McDavid or Drai, and replaced them with inferior players who make less, that the team is in any way better.

I can see how getting rid of Marner or Matthews might help Toronto, but I completely disagree that their contracts caused the cap crunch. If the cap went up by the 4-7 mil it was rumored to go up this year before covid, we are not even talking about a Toronto cap problem, because they would have had some wiggle room to get better defense depth, and with each passing year that space would just go up.

To quote you just have to [ quote] at the beginning of the paragraph and [/ quote] at the end, without the space between the slash and word quote.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I just fail to see how 60mil is not enough cap space to surround two superstars with depth. That is my main disagreement with what you are implying or saying.

I mean EDM specifically has the vast majority of their extra cap tied up into absolutely terrible or overpaid players. I completely fail to see how if they just got rid of McDavid or Drai, and replaced them with inferior players who make less, that the team is in any way better.

But they don't have 60 million in cap, every team is going to have a dead weight on their salary cap, some more than others. I am not arguing that Mcdavid and Drai are not worth what they're worth, or that if they weren't on the team Edm would be better. Im arguing that signing them to the deals that they got hamstrings Edm from making their team better now, with the contracts that they already have on the books, and instead has them treading water and waiting for either the salary cap to rise significantly so that they can sign players and/or waiting for their disasterous contracts to end.

Instead of trying to build now and compete in the next 2-3 years, their going to have to wait 4-6, and who knows what the state of the league/team will be then. On the other hand I will admit that Edm is unique here because of the fact that they are such complete garbage at managing their cap that even if McDavid or Drai signed for 2-3 mill less each, it wouldn't make that much of a difference, just becuae their cap is managed so poorly. However if this was a competently managed team, then yes it would be huge, and they definetely would be competing now, instead of basically the tail end of Mcdavid's contract.

I can see how getting rid of Marner or Matthews might help Toronto, but I completely disagree that their contracts caused the cap crunch. If the cap went up by the 4-7 mil it was rumored to go up this year before covid, we are not even talking about a Toronto cap problem, because they would have had some wiggle room to get better defense depth, and with each passing year that space would just go up.

Matthews got a 11.5x5 after his 3 year ELC where his best season he put up 73 points, and became the player with the third highest cap hit in the league.
Marner with the 7th highest cap hit on a 6 year deal.

Kane got 6.3x5 after putting up an 88 point season and wasn't even in the top 20 in cap hits in the league.
Kopitar after his ELC where he put up 77 points got 6.8x7 the 16th highest cap hit in the league.

Sure they're probably worth those contracts, but those contracts do Tor no favours in helping build a competitive team right now. It's the same boat that Edm is in, tread water for the salary cap to rise, contracts end, or trade some of these players which would actually help.

To quote you just have to [ quote] at the beginning of the paragraph and [/ quote] at the end, without the space between the slash and word quote.

Thanks! I appreciate it :)

Reactions: Dicdonya

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Regarding contracts, it seems like the era of the bridge deal is done for now.

Regarding Jones...there were articles about him that tied his play to a change in style. Jones tried to up his game and develop a more reactive, aggressive gave (like Jonathon Quick) and he ruined himself in the process. But, that could all just be fluff and really it is an injury issue.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Regarding Jones...there were articles about him that tied his play to a change in style. Jones tried to up his game and develop a more reactive, aggressive gave (like Jonathon Quick) and he ruined himself in the process. But, that could all just be fluff and really it is an injury issue.

I remember those articles and thought that the change in style + shrinking equipment played a role in his downfall.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
But they don't have 60 million in cap, every team is going to have a dead weight on their salary cap, some more than others. I am not arguing that Mcdavid and Drai are not worth what they're worth, or that if they weren't on the team Edm would be better. Im arguing that signing them to the deals that they got hamstrings Edm from making their team better now, with the contracts that they already have on the books, and instead has them treading water and waiting for either the salary cap to rise significantly so that they can sign players and/or waiting for their disasterous contracts to end.

We might just have to agree to disagree then. Because if McDavid and Drai are worth their contracts, I just do not understand how you would then say they hamstring the team.

Especially not when that team is paying 6mil for guys like Nurse and Neal. Or 4 mil for Russell. Or any money at all on guys like Khaira, Chiasson, Archibald or Benning. Or spending like 8+ mil combined on Koskinen and Smith.

To me those are the guys hamstringing EDM, not McDavid or Drai. If the team was like one or two players short of a complete team, and you could not point to anyone and immediately label them overpaid, then maybe I would agree that shaving a few mil off by trading McDavid or Drai and replacing them with a slightly worse but cheaper option + good depth player might be a good idea. However that is not the case at all.

Instead of trying to build now and compete in the next 2-3 years, their going to have to wait 4-6, and who knows what the state of the league/team will be then. On the other hand I will admit that Edm is unique here because of the fact that they are such complete garbage at managing their cap that even if McDavid or Drai signed for 2-3 mill less each, it wouldn't make that much of a difference, just becuae their cap is managed so poorly. However if this was a competently managed team, then yes it would be huge, and they definetely would be competing now, instead of basically the tail end of Mcdavid's contract.

That is sort of the point though right? EDM is a unique case where the management has been so unimaginably terrible, or stupid, when it comes to surrounding their stars with actual NHL hockey players that they not only have a team with only 4-5 good players, they also have very little cap.

When you look at a team like Pitt, Chi, LA, WSH etc during their runs, they managed to find several good to great players to compliment their studs. A team like Dal, TB, Bos etc while not having won a cup recently have also been able to build good complete teams, despite having some big contracts on their teams. Frankly outside of STL there is not a team in recent history that has won a cup without having high paid superstars on their team, and even STL had some not insignificant contracts with Oreilly and Tarasenko.

Matthews got a 11.5x5 after his 3 year ELC where his best season he put up 73 points, and became the player with the third highest cap hit in the league.
Marner with the 7th highest cap hit on a 6 year deal.

Kane got 6.3x5 after putting up an 88 point season and wasn't even in the top 20 in cap hits in the league.
Kopitar after his ELC where he put up 77 points got 6.8x7 the 16th highest cap hit in the league.

Sure they're probably worth those contracts, but those contracts do Tor no favours in helping build a competitive team right now. It's the same boat that Edm is in, tread water for the salary cap to rise, contracts end, or trade some of these players which would actually help.

I never said the contracts did them any favors, clearly its causing some issues now, but they are only causing issues because of other decisions the GM made, and because of the unforeseeable Covid situation screwing the cap up.

However I would much rather be in Toronto's position then ours. Trading a Marner or Matthews will be crazy easier then trading a Vlasic, Cooch, Burns or Karlsson. And even if you cant trade them, you are stuck with young 20s stars earning their money, instead of 30+ year old stars, and almost stars all of whom are potentially never going to earn their money again.

Thanks! I appreciate it :)
Absolutely :)

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
To me those are the guys hamstringing EDM, not McDavid or Drai.

Great players never hamstring a team.

The Texas Rangers blamed the Alex Rodriguez contract for their woes in the early 2000's, while he was a perennial MVP candidate and while they were paying tons of money to Chan Ho Park to suck, $11 million to Juan Gonzalez to DH half the season and suck, Rusty Greer $7 million to sit on the DL instead of be a league average outfielder, and Carl Everett $9 million to be a replacement level outfielder. In 2002 they spent about $40 million out of their roughly $90 million budget to players who were replacement level or worse, and most of these players should not have surprised.

So, what did they do? They traded Rodriguez to the Yankees for Alfonso Soriano, a second baseman who couldn't play second base and who didn't walk at all. Soriano was mediocre for two years and traded away again for garbage, Rodriguez plays at a HOF level for the Yankees for the next five years and wins two MVPs and a World Series, and the Rangers continue to bask in mediocrity for years.

Rodriguez soaking up 20-25% of the payroll wasn't the problem, it was dreck soaking up 40% of the payroll that was.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
We might just have to agree to disagree then. Because if McDavid and Drai are worth their contracts, I just do not understand how you would then say they hamstring the team.

Especially not when that team is paying 6mil for guys like Nurse and Neal. Or 4 mil for Russell. Or any money at all on guys like Khaira, Chiasson, Archibald or Benning. Or spending like 8+ mil combined on Koskinen and Smith.

To me those are the guys hamstringing EDM, not McDavid or Drai. If the team was like one or two players short of a complete team, and you could not point to anyone and immediately label them overpaid, then maybe I would agree that shaving a few mil off by trading McDavid or Drai and replacing them with a slightly worse but cheaper option + good depth player might be a good idea. However that is not the case at all.

That is sort of the point though right? EDM is a unique case where the management has been so unimaginably terrible, or stupid, when it comes to surrounding their stars with actual NHL hockey players that they not only have a team with only 4-5 good players, they also have very little cap.

I agree with you here for sure, Edm is so terribly managed, that really they're a bad example to use. Maybe a better example would be Vancouver, a young team up against the cap thats going to have to sign their #1C and D soon. They have a few bad contracts right now, and their GM had a tendency to overpay his players. I can easily seeing both Petterson and Hughes superseding the Matthews and Marner contracts, and am interested to see how they build around it, and when/if they find success. However we'll have to wait and see what kind of contracts Benning hands out.

I never said the contracts did them any favors, clearly its causing some issues now, but they are only causing issues because of other decisions the GM made, and because of the unforeseeable Covid situation screwing the cap up.

However I would much rather be in Toronto's position then ours. Trading a Marner or Matthews will be crazy easier then trading a Vlasic, Cooch, Burns or Karlsson. And even if you cant trade them, you are stuck with young 20s stars earning their money, instead of 30+ year old stars, and almost stars all of whom are potentially never going to earn their money again.

100% agree, I'd even take Edmonton's right now (minus their front office), as I believe a competent GM could turn that team around nicely in 3-4 years.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Watching him push off looks like he is pain. I think mentally he's really solid, but I don't think physical he has it. Hopefully a long break is just what he needs.
His lateral movement was never a plus trait for him. Nowadays, it seems like a liability. That injury he had a few years back seems to have really affected him.
Yeah I mentioned this earlier in the thread. My hope is that this extra time off allows him to heal up. A few seasons back he started the season on fire. Sharks had the best GAA into November when he got hurt. He's never looked the same.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I’ve seen it mentioned but the changes in equipment size combined with a change in goalie coaches really started Jones’s downward spiral.

As far as injuries, I’m not sure if it’s that or just his body was never meant to play the style he’s trying to play.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Sounds like Dallas is wanting to bring Khudobin back and trade Bishop. Would be a nice target for SJ if they could make the dollars work. Still a very good goalie in this league and signed for just under $5 mil for 3 more years. Just like any other big move this offseason, would have to involve a big contract going somewhere though to make it work. So not sure what that would be or how it would look.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Sounds like Dallas is wanting to bring Khudobin back and trade Bishop. Would be a nice target for SJ if they could make the dollars work. Still a very good goalie in this league and signed for just under $5 mil for 3 more years. Just like any other big move this offseason, would have to involve a big contract going somewhere though to make it work. So not sure what that would be or how it would look.
Just too much money. If anything Khudobin would be our guy, but hes just playing too well now

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I don't think the Sharks can realistically get any other goalie without making the already thin team in front thinner. They just have to gamble that Jones improves and his league minimum backup is also an average goaltender. Better to improve at forward/

Reactions: Sandisfan and Erep

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Just too much money. If anything Khudobin would be our guy, but hes just playing too well now
If Dallas wins a Cup, Khudobin going to get close to $5 mil I bet. Don’t think it’s a money issue. At least if you trade you can get retention.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

He definitely looks awkward on his post to post slide going one direction that I don't think he had when he first came to the Sharks. Like he's favoring a groin injury or something.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If they can get Dallas to retain somehow it could work. Always though he was a great goalie. Seems like there are a number of great options out there if teams can somehow break open the logjam with trades and shitty salaries.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Dallas wins a Cup, Khudobin going to get close to $5 mil I bet. Don’t think it’s a money issue. At least if you trade you can get retention.

I don't see Dallas keeping Khudobin even if they win the Cup honestly. They've always liked Oettinger and he had a good year in the AHL. They will probably move him up to that role. Wouldn't surprise me if the Sharks tried to sign Khudobin but for the kind of money he'd command, I think a two or three year deal at 5 mil is probably what he'd get, the Sharks would need to move Jones or Vlasic to make it happen. DW can't prioritize goaltending as long as he has Martin Jones. If he's going to stay for whatever reason, forwards have to be invested into with the resources they have.

I think at this point, the team is going to have to take a calculated risk in net. I would probably sign Laurent Brossoit for pretty cheap and hope he'd rebound into at least a solid 1B or backup. Everyone else is either too expensive or in the case of someone like Dell, someone I wouldn't think would do any better than the goaltending last year. It got better under Boughner but it still had its struggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad