Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’d expect Thomson to start on the third pair in Belleville and work his way up.

The difference will be having a coach committed to his long term development and whose job depends on developing the young guys to the NHL club’s satisfaction rather than a coach looking to win now with Ilves while knowing any time invested in him is wasted since he’s leaving the moment the AHL starts up.

I’m expecting at least 2 years in the AHL for him. They’re going to give him every opportunity. We’ll see how much he wants it.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Well I mean. Technically he was safe? Safe doesn’t need to mean bad.
Lafraniere was a safe pick.
Ok I kept reading. The draft summary take is just awful. Like yikes. He says it seems like they didn’t take guys like Rossi because they didn’t want to pay him in a few years. What a ridiculous thing to say. And then goes on to say they passed on the best player available every single time. This is not a good read

Safe would have been taking Drysdale who was the top ranked D all year or Rossi who was the top scorer with a safe floor due to his two way game

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Not a lot of diversity of opinion among these, uh, 'online draft experts' is there?

Why do we need to hear about 7 or 8 of them when they all have the same thing to say, which is essentially that they are extremely mad online about how the Senators didn't use every pick on their favourite 5'8 Euro dangler.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ok I kept reading. The draft summary take is just awful. Like yikes. He says it seems like they didn’t take guys like Rossi because they didn’t want to pay him in a few years. What a ridiculous thing to say. And then goes on to say they passed on the best player available every single time. This is not a good read

Safe would have been taking Drysdale who was the top ranked D all year or Rossi who was the top scorer with a safe floor due to his two way game
Sanderson is a much safer player than drysdale lol.
Rossi is 5’7 in nhl eyes that is not safe.

of we would have picked rossi. You would be mad at anyone who didn’t like the pick lol.

Reactions: barriers

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I assume Merillainan is playing for Karpat U20 who won 4-2
Balcers playing for Stavanger 1-1 in 2nd Balcers scores.
Brannstrom playing later

Also tonight Canada U20 playing Sweden U20 exhibition

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sanderson is a much safer player than drysdale lol.
Rossi is 5’7 in nhl eyes that is not safe.

of we would have picked rossi. You would be mad at anyone who didn’t like the pick lol.
No, I would have been mad if the sens took Rossi. He was never a top 5 pick in my eyes. But he would have been the safer choice over many players selected before him. When these so called analysts use the word safe, they are talking about floor.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No, I would have been mad if the sens took Rossi. He was never a top 5 pick in my eyes. But he would have been the safer choice over many players selected before him. When these so called analysts use the word safe, they are talking about floor.
Yeah. High floor.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The fact that the author of that article embedded this tweet of his within tells you pretty much everything you need to know

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Stavanger win 4-2 Balcers with 2g
Ilves lost 5-3 to Jukerit, 0 points for Jarvente or Thompson 2 mins tripping for Thompson.
Brannstrom just starting for Langnau

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I mean, Dobber guys are bashing the Sens draft, that's not surprising looking at their draft rankings.

I think their rankings were awful, so that basically sums up my feeling on their evaluation.

They had Stutzle 7 (-4), Sanderson 8 (-3), and Grieg 54 (-26). Of course they aren't going to like the Sens draft.

Again, that speaks more to the terrible ranking they had in place than it does an actual evaluation of the draft.

Also not sure why he's saying we played it safe with Grieg instead of taking Perrault, seeing he was off the board the pick before Grieg...As well as Sokolov hasn't been 240 pounds since March, he's 215ish. Strange to have his weight as a negative when it's 25 pounds off.

That truly was a very bad read

This part really gets me :laugh:

"The same thing will be said in the future that so many Senators fans and draft analysts are saying now, why didn’t they just take the best player available? "

Best player available in the eyes of Tony Ferrari, who cares about the eyes of Trent Mann and the Sens.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Calling Sanderson a safe pick is just blatantly incorrect. I’m not reading the rest

"The Ottawa Senators were blessed by the “Hockey Gods” coming into the 2020 NHL Draft"

In what sense? The Sens traded some past succesful players that they have drafted and developed, and gained valuable draft picks as a result. Maybe "luck" was related to the Sharks finishing lower than expected? Personally, I saw them imploding (but not as bad) so I disagree it was all the puck. If anything, the Sens pick went from #2 to #5. Hardly "luck"

So what is wrong with the Sens draft exactly? Normally, a team has one 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder. That's the basis

We got out of the first round with Tim Stuetzle that Ferrari does praise so the first round is automatically a success, no? The next 2 first rounders were added bonus

"picking Sanderson was surely the safest pick but it could come with great reward"

OK safe to be a good NHL player but does recognize he has very high upside. What's wrong?

"there is no doubt that Ottawa added another intriguing and talented prospect to their pool"

Picking another NHL player with extremely low bust potential but still undetermined upside at 28th sounds very good for me.

Jarventie : ok he acknowledges it's a swing for the fences.

We also acquired Matt Murray with a 2nd round pick, a guy that had 2 Stanley Cup rings by the end of his rookie season lol

Well didn't want to finish the read. But so far it looks like a very good haul, even based on Ferrari's comments

So where's the problem?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It happens every year. Last year it was Aspirot, Murray, Doughtery and Labrie getting more minutes than Lajoie, Jaros and even Brannstrom at times.
Aspirot is younger than Lajoie and is a pretty good prospect. He deserved the minutes he got.

Reactions: Sweatred

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I just can’t believe the arrogance of some of these “internet scouts.” I mean seriously, a guy calling himself Tony Ferrari has the nerve to write an article suggesting that he knows better than our entire organization does on which players will end up better nhlers. Like show some humility and understand the fact that the people making these picks have spent their entire careers working in professional hockey and maybe, just maybe, know a little bit more about scouting than you do, Tony Ferrari.

Reactions: SpezDispenser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad