Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
What are the chances any of our top prospects head over to play in EU leagues that seem to be opening back up versus CHL/AHL/NCAA teams that might not be reopening anytime soon?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What are the chances any of our top prospects head over to play in EU leagues that seem to be opening back up versus CHL/AHL/NCAA teams that might not be reopening anytime soon?
i was thinking are they going to increase roster size for this season? maybe we can have some of our CHL players and they can practice with us and maybe rotate into games? i dono

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
i was thinking are they going to increase roster size for this season? maybe we can have some of our CHL players and they can practice with us and maybe rotate into games? i dono

Interesting if we end up with Byfield. I wonder how the league would deal with the players starting their ELC’s (or not).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Interesting if we end up with Byfield. I wonder how the league would deal with the players starting their ELC’s (or not).

europe is a good option but then what do the euro teams do with their all their players. Like that’s a ton of chl guys

Reactions: Sweatred

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Red Wings are negotiating loaning Zadina and Veleno to a Czech team, Trinic, next year (I'm assuming with an out-clause, and with a scenario that allows both players at camp). I think it will be a very common solution.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

My annual look at Ottawa's OHL prospects. Just Gruden this year. A few video clips in that twitter thread too.

Happy to answer any questions.

“I would imagine that he'll be in the AHL next year, where he can be eased in with a 3rd/4th line role. He's probably a longer term project but he definitely has the make-up of an NHL player in some capacity.”

Sounds good. About right if you ask me. I wouldn’t give him the best odds of being a long term senator but keeping those fingers crossed for a decent middle sixer.

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
Does anyone know if the Sens are planning a development camp after the October draft?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If I remember correctly we usually find out about development camp right around the draft or shortly afterwards. Who knows this yr & I wonder if they will let fans in, probably not.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If I remember correctly we usually find out about development camp right around the draft or shortly afterwards. Who knows this yr & I wonder if they will let fans in, probably not.

Probably not - but indoor sports attendance limits are about to increase under the ministries “room” classification. We are also months away so probably time for another increase if we survive back to school.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Gonna suck not having spectators at development camp, I loved reading the hf analysis of which kids stood out to them. It’s a cool first look at shiny new prospects and with Ottawa having so many high picks this year it’s extra hurtful.

hopefully they post the practices/scrimmages to watch online, waiting 8+ months to watch a Sens game has been rough lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gonna suck not having spectators at development camp, I loved reading the hf analysis of which kids stood out to them. It’s a cool first look at shiny new prospects and with Ottawa having so many high picks this year it’s extra hurtful.

hopefully they post the practices/scrimmages to watch online, waiting 8+ months to watch a Sens game has been rough lol

I think they should run a big 3 on 3 / 4 on 4 tournament with the prospects, the Bsens and the Sens and televise it. That may take some local media interest .

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Who has seen Zub play ? Does anyone have a scouting report from the KHL on him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Just out of curiosity do you think LA will by pass Byfield for Stutzle as is being reported by some? IMO not a chance, but what do I know, especially given Byfield could turn out better than Laf at some point in his career. I think we end up with Stutzle & then I hope they draft Lundell to give him a centre for the next decade he can grow with.

Drafting Lundell would make White expendable IMO which they could use to upgrade somewhere else. The same reason I want to ditch Brannstrom to improve somewhere else if they draft Sanderson or Guhle in this upcoming draft to replace him. What do you think?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just out of curiosity do you think LA will by pass Byfield for Stutzle as is being reported by some? IMO not a chance, but what do I know, especially given Byfield could turn out better than Laf at some point in his career. I think we end up with Stutzle & then I hope they draft Lundell to give him a centre for the next decade he can grow with.

Drafting Lundell would make White expendable IMO which they could use to upgrade somewhere else. The same reason I want to ditch Brannstrom to improve somewhere else if they draft Sanderson or Guhle in this upcoming draft to replace him. What do you think?

Better in the Draft thread.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Well... I think White has made himself expendable but hopefully he finds a top 9 roll. I agree that Byfield and LaF are really close and I think LA takes Byfield. I get that they could take Stutzle or even a dman but my gut says LA takes Byfield. If NYR could get around the optics I think they would gladly trade the pick and take QB55. I like Guhle a lot and haven’t seen Sanderson play enough. I like Brann a lot ... I think he’s going to be fine. I like Lundell but I think Norris and Brown will hold down 1-2C and Stutzle/Byfield and Pinto is enough. I lean towards a RW like Raymond or Holtz with the 5OA if we get a center at 3OA. Someone is going to be happy if they get Lundell at 12OA or whatever.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
I agree we take the best available forward with #3 pick. But the #5 pick should be devoted to deepening Ottawa's already deep depth of blue line prospects. Jamie Drysdale is the highest rated defenceman in the draft and for good reason. This guy has elite-level skills in terms of hockey smarts and skating ability. He wins most one-on-one situations, notwithstanding his relatively diminutive size. Drysdale has the skills the play in every situation: even strength, powerplay and penalty kill. He would be terrific addition to Ottawa's three other top blue line prospects who were first-round picks: Eric Brannstrom, Jacob Bernard-Dockers and Lassi Thompson. Now imagine adding those four to the current foundation of Chabot and Zaitsev, who are signed through 2028 and 2024, respectively.

I remember the days when the Habs were unbeatable. That's because they had the best trio of blue liners in the league. Over the next four years, the Senators blue line could become the most feared in the league.

For more on Drysdale, you can find some great scouting report videos here:

Jamie Drysdale 2020 NHL Draft Profile | Tankathon

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree we take the best available forward with #3 pick. But the #5 pick should be devoted to deepening Ottawa's already deep depth of blue line prospects. Jamie Drysdale is the highest rated defenceman in the draft and for good reason. This guy has elite-level skills in terms of hockey smarts and skating ability. He wins most one-on-one situations, notwithstanding his relatively diminutive size. Drysdale has the skills the play in every situation: even strength, powerplay and penalty kill. He would be terrific addition to Ottawa's three other top blue line prospects who were first-round picks: Eric Brannstrom, Jacob Bernard-Dockers and Lassi Thompson. Now imagine adding those four to the current foundation of Chabot and Zaitsev, who are signed through 2028 and 2024, respectively.

I remember the days when the Habs were unbeatable. That's because they had the best trio of blue liners in the league. Over the next four years, the Senators blue line could become the most feared in the league.

For more on Drysdale, you can find some great scouting report videos here:

Jamie Drysdale 2020 NHL Draft Profile | Tankathon

Yeah I really like Raymond and want to get him but the idea of a Chabot-Drysdale pairing is damn tempting...

Chabot-Drysdale
Brannstrom-JBD
Wolanin-Thomson
Zub, Jaros, Lajoie, Guenette
(Zaitsev is a stop gap IMO, I think there's a good chance that younger Zub will be better)

If we get Drysdale, IMO it looks like we could use one of Brannstrom/Thomson with a 2nd round pick and Balcers/Abramov in a trade. That could get us a very good young forward no?

I mean Brannstrom/Balcers/2nd is a great package

Could we help the Leafs? :sarcasm:

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Raymond and Drysdale are currently ranked #3 and #5, respectively, by Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center ELITEPROSPECTS.COM TOP 31

So yes, we should have a good chance of acquiring both.

Raymond answers the need for far more depth at RW.

Meanwhile, Drysdale would join four other first-round defencemen (Chabot, Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker, Thompson), giving Ottawa the best crop of blue line talent, possibly in NHL history.

By landing Drysdale, the blue line will be set for years to come, negating the need to draft any more defencemen in the near term.

Accordingly, the Senators would be in a position to use its remaining picks ( 7 more in the first three rounds) strictly to acquire forwards, and possibly a goalie.

The fact that we have 9 picks in the first 3 rounds should make 2020 the best draft year ever for the Senators!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anyone else concerned if Ottawa drafts Drysdale how small & soft our defence would be with Chabot, Brannstrom, Drysdale & Thomson in the top two pairings? It just doesn't work for me.

If they do decide to take Drysdale at 5th OA I would hope they would trade Brannstrom to add a bigger more physical defenceman to play with Thomson? And where would JBD fit in? IMO he's better defensively than all four of these guys. And who from these guys could play on the PK? And do you want Chabot & Drysdale blocking shots?

If the decision is that Drysdale is the better prospect than one of Brannstrom & Thomson should be moved out. Otherwise we end up with another small soft weak shitty defence group that can score goals, but can't prevent them either. And do we want a small defencemen on the PK or trying to keep a lead late in a game when the pressure is on?

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone else concerned if Ottawa drafts Drysdale how small & soft our defence would be with Chabot, Brannstrom, Drysdale & Thomson in the top two pairings? It just doesn't work for me.

If they do decide to take Drysdale at 5th OA I would hope they would trade Brannstrom to add a bigger more physical defenceman to play with Thomson? And where would JBD fit in? IMO he's better defensively than all four of these guys. And who from these guys could play on the PK? And do you want Chabot & Drysdale blocking shots?

If the decision is that Drysdale is the better prospect than one of Brannstrom & Thomson should be moved out. Otherwise we end up with another small soft weak shitty defence group that can score goals, but can't prevent them either. And do we want a small defencemen on the PK or trying to keep a lead late in a game when the pressure is on?

I agree our D prospects are on the small side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad