Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree our D prospects are on the small side.
They have lots of skill, there is no argument there, but defensively is where I think they could have a ton of problems, it's where EK & Chabot at times have all of their problems too. If they want a D Sanderson is a better choice in this regard or trade one of those guys & look to add a couple of bigger tougher guys who can clear the net, play the PK & give you some decent defensive minutes.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
No offence Aragorn, but small and soft is not something you would associate with any hockey player, let alone Ottawa's blue line prospects.

It's also unwise to equate size with physicality. All of Ottawa's blue line prospects are capable of laying on the body. These guys are hard and strong, not small and soft.

I'll take a speedy top tier skater who is able to use his feet to clear the zone over a lumbering defencemen who relies on passing to get out of pressure situations.

Reactions: NB613 and Ed Wood

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No offence Aragorn, but small and soft is not something you would associate with any hockey player, let alone Ottawa's blue line prospects.

It's also unwise to equate size with physicality. All of Ottawa's blue line prospects are capable of laying on the body. These guys are hard and strong, not small and soft.

I'll take a speedy top tier skater who is able to use his feet to clear the zone over a lumbering defencemen who relies on passing to get out of pressure situations.
That's what they said about EK & he had tons of problems in his own end & we see the same thing happening to Chabot & we saw it with Brannstrom. Anyone can have an opinion, mine is that this defence is too small & too soft for the NHL regardless of how offensively good they could be. I also think most coaches appreciate players who get the puck out of their zone whether through a pass or off the glass & skating it out isn't always the best idea either. Difference of opinion, I respect that, but it won't change my mind nor yours I gather.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Not all D with size are lumbering skaters.
In this draft
Guhle
Wallinder
Jurmo
Grans
Barron

All have good size and are mobile.

2021 Draft the quality of D with size goes up

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Would you add Tyler Kleven LD to this list?

I don't mind Klevin.. most of those guys bring a little more offense but I think Klevin has the makings of a good defensive stay at home D. His skating is good enough as well.
I would take him late 2nd early 3rd but would try to add at least 1 of the other group ahead of that

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't mind Klevin.. most of those guys bring a little more offense but I think Klevin has the makings of a good defensive stay at home D. His skating is good enough as well.
I would take him late 2nd early 3rd but would try to add at least 1 of the other group ahead of that
For sure, completely agree, thanks. It's funny where these guys are ranked, all of the lists that go into other rounds are all over the place. It's amazing when one site has a player early in the 2nd rd & the next has him in the 3rd, 30 spots apart, it's a head scratcher.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For sure, completely agree, thanks. It's funny where these guys are ranked, all of the lists that go into other rounds are all over the place. It's amazing when one site has a player early in the 2nd rd & the next has him in the 3rd, 30 spots apart, it's a head scratcher.

I think there is a lot of depth through the 2nd round .. maybe 2 bigger tiers so the players are close and the different rankings are just moving around pieces in a tier. Barron is ranked in the 20s in the 1st and later 2nd in some rankings. All these D need development but I think the potential with a few of them is pretty high.

It will be interesting to see where Guhle and Schneider go.. I could see Schneider maybe being available at 20 something.. I think the Sens would be tempted for exactly what we've been discussing. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.. I would rather they take a high upside forward like Perreault if he's there but I can understand why they'd want Schneider. I think Guhle will go closer to 15

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think there is a lot of depth through the 2nd round .. maybe 2 bigger tiers so the players are close and the different rankings are just moving around pieces in a tier. Barron is ranked in the 20s in the 1st and later 2nd in some rankings. All these D need development but I think the potential with a few of them is pretty high.

It will be interesting to see where Guhle and Schneider go.. I could see Schneider maybe being available at 20 something.. I think the Sens would be tempted for exactly what we've been discussing. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.. I would rather they take a high upside forward like Perreault if he's there but I can understand why they'd want Schneider. I think Guhle will go closer to 15
That's the thing with all these picks they could actually put a decent defence together just from this draft. If they get Byfield, I would like to see them draft Sanderson at 5 & add Schneider with the NYI pick. Ottawa has enough good forwards that they could still ice three good lines, but I also get that there is an opportunity to add some elite forward talent although not exactly my kind of players.

They could easily put together a very good 3rd defence pairing in the 2nd rd with picks #33 & #46. Or they could put together another entire 3rd line out of a number of good players available in the 2nd & 3rd rds. Lots of options.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's the thing with all these picks they could actually put a decent defence together just from this draft. If they get Byfield, I would like to see them draft Sanderson at 5 & add Schneider with the NYI pick. Ottawa has enough good forwards that they could still ice three good lines, but I also get that there is an opportunity to add some elite forward talent although not exactly my kind of players.

They could easily put together a very good 3rd defence pairing in the 2nd rd with picks #33 & #46. Or they could put together another entire 3rd line out of a number of good players available in the 2nd & 3rd rds. Lots of options.

After drafting JBD, Tychonick in 2018 with their 1st in 2018, Thomson with their 1st in 2019, and trading their best player for Brannstrom in 2019.. they could possibly over estimate what they have given the capital to get it.

I think they need help at F and at D so they have to have done their homework and rank them accordingly. I do think if they go F,F,F they will go D regardless at some point but the draft is very unpredictable on who might fall. Sens tend to know who they like and take them early if they think they might miss them.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
I still say that if Drysdale is available at #5, they should add him and then focus exclusively on forward prospects. The kid is undeniably the best skating and best two-way defenceman in the draft. Ottawa will have no regrets picking Drysdale. Just speculating, but I can only imagine what the Leafs would pay to have this Toronto-born phenom.

I think the counter-weight to Ottawa drafting smaller defencemen is the team's focus in recent years on bigger-than-average forwards. To my mind, having both, strikes the perfect balance needed to win it all...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I still say that if Drysdale is available at #5, they should add him and then focus exclusively on forward prospects. The kid is undeniably the best skating and best two-way defenceman in the draft. Ottawa will have no regrets picking Drysdale. Just speculating, but I can only imagine what the Leafs would pay to have this Toronto-born phenom.

I think the counter-weight to Ottawa drafting smaller defencemen is the team's focus in recent years on bigger-than-average forwards. To my mind, having both, strikes the perfect balance needed to win it all...

I appreciate big defensemen who can skate well and defend well too. Guys like Sanderson; however, if Drysdale is available at #5, I would take him. If Drysdale is taken earlier, then I would take Raymond. It would be great if the Senators could trade up to get Sanderson later in the draft. I would trade the NYI pick plus 1 or 2 second round picks and/or Brannstrom to get Sanderson. I fear that Brannstrom is too small to play D well in the NHL on the first or second D pairs, whereas Sanderson could.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Say what you want about Brannstrom's size now, he will add strength and weight. Here's a reminder of the scouting reports:

A puck moving defenseman with excellent skating skills. Brännström has impressive offensive instincts and hockey sense. Plays a pretty good defensive game, which will improve further with increased strength to go with his rather modest height. Passing ability stands out, shot is good and he loves to control the PP. (EP 2017)

Quickness, agility and edge work is outstanding and he relies on these skills heavily to evade opponents and create time and space, Hockeyprospect.com 2017

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Anyone else concerned if Ottawa drafts Drysdale how small & soft our defence would be with Chabot, Brannstrom, Drysdale & Thomson in the top two pairings? It just doesn't work for me.

If they do decide to take Drysdale at 5th OA I would hope they would trade Brannstrom to add a bigger more physical defenceman to play with Thomson? And where would JBD fit in? IMO he's better defensively than all four of these guys. And who from these guys could play on the PK? And do you want Chabot & Drysdale blocking shots?

If the decision is that Drysdale is the better prospect than one of Brannstrom & Thomson should be moved out. Otherwise we end up with another small soft weak shitty defence group that can score goals, but can't prevent them either. And do we want a small defencemen on the PK or trying to keep a lead late in a game when the pressure is on?
Yes it concerns me but Lassi is neither small nor soft.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He is not mobile at all.
He's not slow either, he can get around the ice fairly well, I see him as a 3rd pairing defenceman. Here are a couple of articles on him. He is also committed to the UND which seems to be a defencemen factory.

"Highly skilled defender with terrific feet and composure. A punishing hitter with the ability to jump up in the rush. Sure, he might occasionally jump into the play, but he is a smart steadying force on the USANDTeam backline who does it all well in his end. I have read reports of his skating deficits, but I simply do not see it. He is smooth on his blades, well balanced and possessing lateral agility. He focuses on taking care of business in his own end, you won’t see him answering the go light in the fashion of the smaller new age defenders. But unlike a lot of those defenders, he will play in tough, rugged minded response in the defensive zone winning all puck battle around the corners. Uses his long reach and stick and reach to angle attackers away from the pucks they are carrying, and get in the passing lanes to stifle the cross ice passing attempts. He clears his zone well and makes safe transition outlets. What’s not to like about a selection of a big defenseman whose resume starts with “shutdown defender?” He is NOT the slow moving lug some have typecast as, and he is only going to get more comfortable in adding more to his offense end side as he progresses. Committed to the University of North Dakota."

https://thehockeywriters.com/tyler-kleven-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's not slow either, he can get around the ice fairly well, I see him as a 3rd pairing defenceman. Here are a couple of articles on him. He is also committed to the UND which seems to be a defencemen factory.

"Highly skilled defender with terrific feet and composure. A punishing hitter with the ability to jump up in the rush. Sure, he might occasionally jump into the play, but he is a smart steadying force on the USANDTeam backline who does it all well in his end. I have read reports of his skating deficits, but I simply do not see it. He is smooth on his blades, well balanced and possessing lateral agility. He focuses on taking care of business in his own end, you won’t see him answering the go light in the fashion of the smaller new age defenders. But unlike a lot of those defenders, he will play in tough, rugged minded response in the defensive zone winning all puck battle around the corners. Uses his long reach and stick and reach to angle attackers away from the pucks they are carrying, and get in the passing lanes to stifle the cross ice passing attempts. He clears his zone well and makes safe transition outlets. What’s not to like about a selection of a big defenseman whose resume starts with “shutdown defender?” He is NOT the slow moving lug some have typecast as, and he is only going to get more comfortable in adding more to his offense end side as he progresses. Committed to the University of North Dakota."

https://thehockeywriters.com/tyler-kleven-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
He is lumbering but easily worth a 3rd rd pick IMO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ridiculous take. Formenton is tiers below Connor as an offensive player.

3rd line scoring LW is realistic, but if he bulks up I could see him being a decent 2nd line forward

I really like Formenton but I do not see Kyle Connor.. .Connor didn't just stumble upon those hands and that shot.
Forms has more grinder in him than Connor. He is still developing and doing great but he has to build off his currents strengths as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad