Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Bit of a topic change, but I'm curious what your guys thoughts on Jacob Bernard-Docker are. I for one, am a massive, MASSIVE JBD homer. I'll be the first to admit that. He might be my current favourite prospect in the Sens system, and I find he gets glossed over by so many!

Call me crazy, and I probably am, but I see a lot of Brian Rafalski in him. Both similar sized, right shot dmen, who excel with a two-way game, have the ability to be goal producers from the blue line, and are very quality skaters, puck movers, and pretty much excel quietly at everything else. Rafalski was always a guy I thought was overlooked throughout his career and I'm already seeing JBD trend in that direction as he's got a very quiet demeanour to him, and tends to not be the most flashy of guys. I was actually getting a tad annoyed when the WJC announcers kept referring to Docker as a shut-down dman. I felt like that was completely under-cutting the complete impact of his game.

Rafalski was always a bit of a secondary guy on absolutely stacked defensive cores (and teams) and it's beginning to look like JBD will be seen as a secondary guy on the Sens d-core to guys like Chabot.

My boldest of bold predictions is that JBD is going to be that guy that holds are defence together. A 22 minute a night guy who can be used in all situations, can produce 10 or so goals and a very solid 35-40pts year in and year out. JBD just had this persona to him that screams "I'm going to be an extremely talented but overlooked player" and I'm rooting so hard for him.

I think he's going to be a huge piece for us in the future.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bit of a topic change, but I'm curious what your guys thoughts on Jacob Bernard-Docker are. I for one, am a massive, MASSIVE JBD homer. I'll be the first to admit that. He might be my current favourite prospect in the Sens system, and I find he gets glossed over by so many!

Call me crazy, and I probably am, but I see a lot of Brian Rafalski in him. Both similar sized, right shot dmen, who excel with a two-way game, have the ability to be goal producers from the blue line, and are very quality skaters, puck movers, and pretty much excel quietly at everything else. Rafalski was always a guy I thought was overlooked throughout his career and I'm already seeing JBD trend in that direction as he's got a very quiet demeanour to him, and tends to not be the most flashy of guys. I was actually getting a tad annoyed when the WJC announcers kept referring to Docker as a shut-down dman. I felt like that was completely under-cutting the complete impact of his game.

Rafalski was always a bit of a secondary guy on absolutely stacked defensive cores (and teams) and it's beginning to look like JBD will be seen as a secondary guy on the Sens d-core to guys like Chabot.

My boldest of bold predictions is that JBD is going to be that guy that holds are defence together. A 22 minute a night guy who can be used in all situations, can produce 10 or so goals and a very solid 35-40pts year in and year out. JBD just had this persona to him that screams "I'm going to be an extremely talented but overlooked player" and I'm rooting so hard for him.

I think he's our best D prospect at the moment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I've said it before & I'll say it again that I think at the moment he is the one right shot defencemen in the Sens org that can compliment Chabot's game to be his partner. He's got the skating to keep up, he has the defensive awareness to protect his back, he has some offence to his game along with a decent shot & he can play on the PP or PK. He plays a 200' game & is equally good at both ends of the ice. We'll see what Lassi Thomson turns into, but for now JBD being older is further along IMO.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've said it before & I'll say it again that I think at the moment he is the one right shot defencemen in the Sens org that can compliment Chabot's game to be his partner. He's got the skating to keep up, he has the defensive awareness to protect his back, he has some offence to his game along with a decent shot & he can play on the PP or PK. He plays a 200' game & is equally good at both ends of the ice. We'll see what Lassi Thomson turns into, but for now JBD being older is further along IMO.
JBD isn’t even 3 months older than Thomson. He is much better and further along though.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD isn’t even 3 months older than Thomson.
That's true they are a draft yr apart, but much closer in age. For some reason though I still see JBD as being further along & IMO what I saw from each at the WJC JBD looked like the better & more mature defenceman. I also thought that when I saw both of them together at the development camp JBD just looks like the more polished player. Do you have a preference between the two?

Reactions: NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's true they are a draft yr apart, but much closer in age. For some reason though I still see JBD as being further along & IMO what I saw from each at the WJC JBD looked like the better & more mature defenceman. I also thought that when I saw both of them together at the development camp JBD just looks like the more polished player. Do you have a preference between the two?
Oh I agree, JBD is much better and further along at the moment IMO. I’ve loved JBD (Tychonick as well, to be fair seems I was off. I liked both guys as guys to take in the late 1st) since watching him in Truro for a week in his draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
JBD is tracking really well so him being ahead of Thomson is less an indictment of Thomson and more praise of JBD imo.
Certainly.

I was big on JBD before the draft, and low on Thomson before the draft, so I’m likely biased, though both guys seasons since the draft have done nothing to change my opinion.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Thomson and his booming shot could possibly be a match made in heaven for Chabot. At least on the PP.

We've lacked a huge shot from the point for a while now imo. Even Karlsson, while he was definitely a smart shooter, did not have the big one timer or a big slapper in his regular tool bag.

I think Chabot will be good enough of a two way guy that he doesnt need to be paired with what could become our best defensive minded dman (JBD), and that we might be better off having them anchor their own separate pairings.

A 2nd pairing of Brannstrom and JBD might be a match made in heaven stylistically imo, and a realistic slotting for both of them.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Thomson and his booming shot could possibly be a match made in heaven for Chabot. At least on the PP.

We've lacked a huge shot from the point for a while now imo. Even Karlsson, while he was definitely a smart shooter, did not have the big one timer or a big slapper in his regular tool bag.

I think Chabot will be good enough of a two way guy that he doesnt need to be paired with what could become our best defensive minded dman (JBD), and that we might be better off having them anchor their own separate pairings.

A 2nd pairing of Brannstrom and JBD might be a match made in heaven stylistically imo, and a realistic slotting for both of them.

JBD and Lassi have fantastic shots. Chabot and Brannstrom pretty much have every offensive tool you can hope for. We're setting ourselves up for some very nice PP units here. If we happen to get Drysdale, that would make things even more interesting.. not to even mention guys like Wolanin who might have a say in some potential PP combos as well.

Lots to be excited about in Sens nation these days

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Gonna suck not having spectators at development camp, I loved reading the hf analysis of which kids stood out to them. It’s a cool first look at shiny new prospects and with Ottawa having so many high picks this year it’s extra hurtful.

hopefully they post the practices/scrimmages to watch online, waiting 8+ months to watch a Sens game has been rough lol

It would be a blown opportunity if they dont stream the whole thing.

Reactions: Bileur

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
That's what they said about EK & he had tons of problems in his own end & we see the same thing happening to Chabot & we saw it with Brannstrom. Anyone can have an opinion, mine is that this defence is too small & too soft for the NHL regardless of how offensively good they could be. I also think most coaches appreciate players who get the puck out of their zone whether through a pass or off the glass & skating it out isn't always the best idea either. Difference of opinion, I respect that, but it won't change my mind nor yours I gather.
Weird when i was watching the games never thought brannstrom was bad defensively considering his inexperience, age, and overall team around him. I thought he showed most promis defensively, transitioning, and being QB on the powerplay.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
I see Formenton a little bit like Milan Michalek with some Kreider sprinkled in.

I think Formenton will be 205-215 lbs when he's done growing and filling in (he was getting taller as late as last year apparently). Like Michalek he has blazing speed and plays mostly a straight line game, driving the net hard. They both have underrated hands, although Michalek's were clearly better. And both are very good defensively / on the PK. Michalek was a bit more skilled but Formenton engages physically a bit more, similar to Kreider.

If Formenton ends up playing with a top notch playmaker I could see him pushing 30 goals once or twice in his career. More likely he'll be a 20-20 guy, which is great. He'll never be the offensive driver on one of the top 2 lines like Kyle Connor is and will be, but he will be a very valuable player for us.
*cough* brown/batherson *cough*

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
JBD and Lassi have fantastic shots. Chabot and Brannstrom pretty much have every offensive tool you can hope for. We're setting ourselves up for some very nice PP units here. If we happen to get Drysdale, that would make things even more interesting.. not to even mention guys like Wolanin who might have a say in some potential PP combos as well.

Lots to be excited about in Sens nation these days

They both have great shots, but from what I've seen is JBD is a thread the needle shot on net type player.

Lassi is going to shoot right through whatever is in his way with power.

Reactions: Pinto Bean

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think JBD is behind Brann and currently close to LT. LT and JBD played similar rolls at the WJC and I think LT physically aggressive . JBD was a little timid.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think JBD is behind Brann and currently close to LT. LT and JBD played similar rolls at the WJC and I think LT physically aggressive . JBD was a little timid.

Thomson is definitely more aggressive than JBD (both offensively and physically) but JBD takes much better angles, makes more smart/safe choices and just has better fundamentals. I think Thomson has a higher ceiling but JBD is a much safer bet. I like both players and think that at least one of them ends up being a 3-4 D in the NHL.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Thomson is definitely more aggressive than JBD (both offensively and physically) but JBD takes much better angles, makes more smart/safe choices and just has better fundamentals. I think Thomson has a higher ceiling but JBD is a much safer bet. I like both players and think that at least one of them ends up being a 3-4 D in the NHL.

I agree with that and I think one of the most accurate comparisons of the two on this forum we have seen. I think in some of JBD’s safer choices there is some passive play that offsets some of the risks/mistakes of LT. I haven’t seen them play a tonne but what I have seen would have them as different types of players but sharing a similar prospect potential. I wouldn’t have either ahead at this point.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Yeah, he wasn't an NHL prospect at anytime whatsoever aside from Ostberg's and the Sens opinion, hopefully this just lets us move on quicker.

What a waste of a pick that was, for some reason at the beginning of the 4th. Could have just signed him as a free agent if we really liked him that much. One of the problems with drafting based on past history with a player.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I dont even care what you uptight Ottawans are thinking about Lodin, Im actually rooting for the kid now. He can consider himself "on my radar" as of this point forward.

If every weekend warrior/casual good time seeker in Sudbury was banished, the city would cease to exist, and we wouldn't be having this conversation (with me involved).

If Lodin ever plays 20 games for the Sens, my name will be officially changed in perpetuity to Lodin_it_Up.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I dont even care what you uptight Ottawans are thinking about Lodin, Im actually rooting for the kid now. He can consider himself "on my radar" as of this point forward.

If every weekend warrior/casual good time seeker in Sudbury was banished, the city would cease to exist, and we wouldn't be having this conversation (with me involved).

If Lodin ever plays 20 games for the Sens, my name will be officially changed in perpetuity to Lodin_it_Up.

I don’t think that anyone is rooting against Lodin. I think that because he was such an old, bad, obscure pick in the 4th round that everything had to go absolutely right for him to become relevant. I’m hoping that if it’s a chronic issue that he gets the help that he needs, and it looks like his swedish team is in full support of him. But in terms of his status as an NHL prospect, he had pretty much 0 potential before the incident and this didn’t exactly increase his odds.

edit: and a quick glance at the 2019 draft, it’s so blatantly obvious that he was a wasted pick. 3 of the 4 guys drafted directly after him have real NHL potential (Jordan Spence, Tyne Thompson and Matias Macelli). Not to mention later in the round Teply and M. Abramov were selected. I know this talking point has been beaten to death but picking Lodin was such a waste of an asset with still some legit talent on the board. And even if none of those guys listed pan out, it’s still annoying that they passed up on legit prospects to do their scout a favour. I don’t know why they couldn’t just waste a 7th rounder instead

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad