Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Landeskog is a very good comparable to Tkachuk, though I think Tkachuk will be more impactful. Landeskog, in his prime, UFA years after having put up PPG+ seasons and already is a captain, might still just yet make 8 mil a year

Hard to say who will be more impactful, Landeskog is a bit more skilled imo but Tkachuk could bridge that gap. But Landeskog has always been my hope for what Tkachuk could become, leader in the locker room and on the ice. If he can improve his defensive play and reign in the bad penalties while still playing with an edge he'll be a force for us for a long time.

Reactions: aragorn

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hard to say who will be more impactful, Landeskog is a bit more skilled imo but Tkachuk could bridge that gap. But Landeskog has always been my hope for what Tkachuk could become, leader in the locker room and on the ice. If he can improve his defensive play and reign in the bad penalties while still playing with an edge he'll be a force for us for a long time.

Yea, Landeskog is more in the mold of a "modern" power forward while Tkachuk is more in the more of the old. Brady is more imposing and authoritative in his play, which could be key come playoff time. Landeskog does seem to have better puck skills, but he's played with some great centres and if Brady has same opportunity, he'll post similar numbers as well, imo.

Ultimately I agree, if Brady can have Landeskog like impact, we'll have done well--Brady does exude a uniqueness about him that I think will be special come playoff time, imo. He'll be feared and more engaged. Hopefully injuries don't slow him down as he is a bit reckless out there at times.

Reactions: innocent bystander

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
How did the Tkachuk contract discussion get moved to the prospects thread?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
JBD was soooooo far from “Great” in the NHL this year. (Or world championship). He has some nice tools in his game but it’s full of weaknesses too.

Why are we criticizing a rookie D-man who jumped straight from NCAA into the NHL for having weaknesses? No shit he's got weaknesses. He probably needs a solid 2 years in the AHL before he's actually NHL ready. Why all the grief on him now?

His NHL games were impressive enough to me that he was the classic guy that you didn't notice. To me, that showed he already has the hockey smarts to position himself well, and make safe plays. He was obviously trying not to look like a jackass, but that's what the AHL is for. Develop skills, build strength, and make the mistakes. If he becomes confident in his skills, he'll be able to take more risks, and be a bit more dynamic. He's not going to wow anyone with amazing feats of puck handling, but he can skate the puck out of trouble when there isn't an outlet pass rather than do a Gudbranson chip off the glass, and I think he can become a strong defender by being smart positionally.

Reactions: alfstheman

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why are we criticizing a rookie D-man who jumped straight from NCAA into the NHL for having weaknesses? No shit he's got weaknesses. He probably needs a solid 2 years in the AHL before he's actually NHL ready. Why all the grief on him now?

His NHL games were impressive enough to me that he was the classic guy that you didn't notice. To me, that showed he already has the hockey smarts to position himself well, and make safe plays. He was obviously trying not to look like a jackass, but that's what the AHL is for. Develop skills, build strength, and make the mistakes. If he becomes confident in his skills, he'll be able to take more risks, and be a bit more dynamic. He's not going to wow anyone with amazing feats of puck handling, but he can skate the puck out of trouble when there isn't an outlet pass rather than do a Gudbranson chip off the glass, and I think he can become a strong defender by being smart positionally.

Zero criticism for JBD - I just suggested he wasn’t “great” in the NHL as the post I reference stated.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
JBD isn’t an NHL defender . It’s the weakest part of his game. He won’t be a good defensive Dman until he becomes good at defending . Ringette line back he’s the opposite of Zub.

Me too … I like the prospect but he needs to get stronger and it’s fair to acknowledge that part of his game has stagnated. He’s going to have to put in the work. His fancy edge work won’t be enough to get him playing time if he is a liability around his net.

I also think that the undervalued/under appreciated Thomson is better in those areas.

Zero criticism for JBD - I just suggested he wasn’t “great” in the NHL as the post I reference stated.

Zero criticism? These are from one page back in this thread

Reactions: alfstheman and H2O

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Zero criticism? These are from one page back in this thread

Reality isn’t criticism … I like Colin white too, just not at $5.15 or as a 2-3C…

What do you want to pretend ? He’s a 2D ready to be Chabot’s partner ready for $5 mill ?

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Reality isn’t criticism … I like Colin white too, just not at $5.15 or as a 2-3C…

What do you want to pretend ? He’s a 2D ready to be Chabot’s partner ready for $5 mill ?

Now where did I say that? You said you didn't criticize him. I showed that you did. That's all.

And how the hell is saying something is reality means it's not criticism?

If I were to say that Donald Trump is an abject moron, that's a criticism based on the reality of his mental capabilities.

You can't criticize stuff that isn't a real thing.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Now where did I say that? You said you didn't criticize him. I showed that you did. That's all.

And how the hell is saying something is reality means it's not criticism?

If I were to say that Donald Trump is an abject moron, that's a criticism based on the reality of his mental capabilities.

You can't criticize stuff that isn't a real thing.

You lost me a bit there … I like JBD but I don’t think he was great in the NHL … i certainly hope he becomes a great NHL player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

And if Tkachuk is made captain they would have that n common as well.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
You lost me a bit there … I like JBD but I don’t think he was great in the NHL … i certainly hope he becomes a great NHL player.
20 year old defensemen with 0 pro games shouldnt look great in their first few nhl games.
Its true Jbd wasnt great in those games. He also wasnt awful and showed decent poise against the best players in the league. You cant expect that much of a late 1st round defenseman which take longer than forwards to develop. Imo small sample size of 5 nhl games and a world juniors isnt enough to label a player anything. Give him a full season in belleville before saying he cant play against pros

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
20 year old defensemen with 0 pro games shouldnt look great in their first few nhl games.
Its true Jbd wasnt great in those games. He also wasnt awful and showed decent poise against the best players in the league. You cant expect that much of a late 1st round defenseman which take longer than forwards to develop. Imo small sample size of 5 nhl games and a world juniors isnt enough to label a player anything. Give him a full season in belleville before saying he cant play against pros

Great - that’s all I commented on. Feel free to read the thread posts.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Obviously goalies are voodoo and it could be all of them don't have what it takes to make it in the NHL but you have to be pretty happy with Leevi, Filip, and Mads and the positional depth right now at goalie in the organization. Hasnt been since we had Bishop and Lehner coming up that I felt so confident about the future of the position (which obviously turned out great for the Sens).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad