Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
With Pasta being out the first month I think if Sweeney gets creative he can sign Chara 1 year 1mill and Hoffman 1 year 5mill and move Moore and Miller up and down from providence if needed.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Hoffman-Coyle-Smith
Debrusk-Krejci-Kase
Ritchie-Kuraly-Bjork
Wagner

Pretty deep line up
If we can buy out Moore and Ritchie and use the cap space we have now, we can sign Hoffman, no issues.

Reactions: bbfan419

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Personally, I don't want Hoffman. He seems like the consolation prize for those who sat back and watched real talent get signed. (Guys like Miller and Smith :laugh:)
What happened to Debrusk and Vaak for Noah Hannifin and Curt Bennett? We need to make a trade.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
So no thanks to a player in his prime but all aboard for a player well past his,(Keith)? :huh: Makes sense.:sarcasm:

Even if you didn't miss the buyout window :naughty: the Bruins are about to get out from under David Backes' buyout this year and you want to replace it with SIX years of John Moore's buyout on the books.

The Bruin's only save $1.4m on the $2.75M anyways.

Hoffman is fine, but I don't love him. One year of Hoffman for 6 years of Moore's buyout hit? There are much, much better ways.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Personally, I don't want Hoffman. He seems like the consolation prize for those who sat back and watched real talent get signed. (Guys like Miller and Smith :laugh:)
What happened to Debrusk and Vaak for Noah Hannifin and Curt Bennett? We need to make a trade.
Should have said Sam Bennett. Curt played when I was a kid. :laugh:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Even if you didn't miss the buyout window :naughty: the Bruins are about to get out from under David Backes' buyout this year and you want to replace it with SIX years of John Moore's buyout on the books.

The Bruin's only save $1.4m on the $2.75M anyways.

Hoffman is fine, but I don't love him. One year of Hoffman for 6 years of Moore's buyout hit? There are much, much better ways.

Well if we're talking buyout then I have to agree especially in this particular case where the saving will be minimal and the pain prolonged.

I was just figuring if you can take on Keith then you can take on Hoffman. It would be a better choice .

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If keith is coming... the way to pay him looks a bit like this

We send moore to chicago... they dont want him? Then they retain some later and send him packing

We end up using our wiggle room to make it work but we are significantly upgraded

It costs us picks/prospects

We do the deal if we think it can make a difference... we dont if we feel it cant

Perhaps we just give gryzlyck/zboril/lauzon/moore a chance first? Keith isnt going anywhere quickly

Might make more sense at the deadline... specially if we still plan to bring chara back too

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

We send moore to chicago... they dont want him? Then they retain some later and send him packing

We end up using our wiggle room to make it work but we are significantly upgraded

We do the deal if we think it can make a difference... we dont if we feel it cant

Perhaps we just give gryzlyck/zboril/lauzon/moore a chance first? Keith isnt going anywhere quickly

Might make more sense at the deadline... specially if we still plan to bring chara back too

You hit the nail on the head right here with the bolded when it comes to Moore and the Blackhawks. First time you've ever been right from what I can tell.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton

I really feel like waiting till the deadline is our best bet. If we're in the thick of things, we make some moves. If we're not, we have a top tier #2 center in Krejci that's going to net us a huge haul and we have a top 5 tender in the league in Rask that would net us a huge haul. Then smaller pieces like Kuraly, Kase, Ritchie and Halak which would still get us some assets back. If we go that route, we stockpile assets and load up for a quick turnaround for 2021-2022. Perhaps even have a gentlemens agreement with both Krejci and Rask that they'll re-sign in the offseason.

Again that's worst case scenario, I feel like we'll be in the middle of the pack come deadline and we'll adjust accordingly.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Well if we're talking buyout then I have to agree especially in this particular case where the saving will be minimal and the pain prolonged.

I was just figuring if you can take on Keith then you can take on Hoffman. It would be a better choice .

The difference with Keith, although I know you will disagree, is that the Bruins could explore moving Moore outright as part of the deal without extending their contract obligations past 2023. Both players have three years left on their deal. To me it comes down to: do you want to carry an uber-expensive depth defenseman and healthy scratch or a proven top 4 veteran for a bit more.

This probably moot, as you do not like Keith at this stage in his career. I am basing my assessment on the fact that I, and many others, still think he is a top 60D in the league and his decline has plenty to do with the lack of supporting cast around him.

As for Hoffman, I don't like him enough to hurt Boston's chances of improving the roster down the road. Especially as we have no idea what is going on with this season.

If the Bruins did decide to go after Hoffman, I imagine Sweeney would be looking for at least a 2nd year of term and even then, I hope he would clear the necessary cap via trade only.

Reactions: wintersej

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The difference with Keith, although I know you will disagree, is that the Bruins could explore moving Moore outright as part of the deal without extending their contract obligations past 2023. Both players have three years left on their deal. To me it comes down to: do you want to carry an uber-expensive depth defenseman and healthy scratch or a proven top 4 veteran for a bit more.

This probably moot, as you do not like Keith at this stage in his career. I am basing my assessment on the fact that I, and many others, still think he is a top 60D in the league and his decline has plenty to do with the lack of supporting cast around him.

As for Hoffman, I don't like him enough to hurt Boston's chances of improving the roster down the road. Especially as we have no idea what is going on with this season.

If the Bruins did decide to go after Hoffman, I imagine Sweeney would be looking for at least a 2nd year of term and even then, I hope he would clear the necessary cap via trade only.

At his age not getting any younger and having not played for almost a year Keith is even steven with a younger less expensive Moore "this year" but next year and the year after that he's simply an older costly and less effective player.

I like Moore and don't see why he needs to be moved now unless packaged in a deal that makes sense... as many stipulated the bruin D isn't the issue with a very good crop of young D.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Bruins don't have to give up anything for Hoffman.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I dont think we need to force any trades or any ufa signings. Just stick with what we have. We might suck next season but man it'd be horrible to see JDB put up 35 goals in another team.

This will look like the 2 seasons we missed the playoffs except we dont have any more Pastas coming up from the system.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I really feel like waiting till the deadline is our best bet. If we're in the thick of things, we make some moves. If we're not, we have a top tier #2 center in Krejci that's going to net us a huge haul and we have a top 5 tender in the league in Rask that would net us a huge haul. Then smaller pieces like Kuraly, Kase, Ritchie and Halak which would still get us some assets back. If we go that route, we stockpile assets and load up for a quick turnaround for 2021-2022. Perhaps even have a gentlemens agreement with both Krejci and Rask that they'll re-sign in the offseason.

Again that's worst case scenario, I feel like we'll be in the middle of the pack come deadline and we'll adjust accordingly.
I am curious on what you think a " big haul" would mean for us if we trade Krejci at the deadline?
Based on past trades, I cannot see us getting a first round pick for him.
I would be doing cart wheels if we could!

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Take a look through the UFA's. We have the best center option and the best goalie option. Trust me, I dont want to be in that boat come deadline, I'd rather be adding for sure, but if you dont think a guy like Krejci gets you a 1st come deadline, you're nuts. Look what TB gave up last year for the likes of Coleman and Goodraw

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Take a look through the UFA's. We have the best center option and the best goalie option. Trust me, I dont want to be in that boat come deadline, I'd rather be adding for sure, but if you dont think a guy like Krejci gets you a 1st come deadline, you're nuts. Look what TB gave up last year for the likes of Coleman and Goodraw

Coleman and Goodrow had two things going for them Krejci doesn't. 1) They had another year on their existing contracts and 2) both guys existing cap hits/contracts are both very low and excellent value. Krejci's salary alone is almost triple Goodrow and Coleman's combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad