News Article: 2020-2021 Red Wings Training Camp

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

DK on PP1? Oh Blash lol

I think we have two options on the powerplay:

1. Stack all our best threats on one unit (Hronek, Zadina, Mantha, Larkin). This means the 2nd unit is absolutely awful.
2. Spread threats on two units. This means both units have 1 or 2 players that are not optimal, but both have threats.

Give me option 2 for our current situation.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-1-1_14-15-45.png

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Guys. Day 1 of camp. I'm sure there will be changes in the coming days as it becomes clear what certain guys are or are not capable of. I get that this is a very short run-up to the regular season and so we can put more stock in these lines/roles than in the past, but I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about DDK skating with Hronek or playing PP1 or Ryan net-front or whatever. Part of practicing is seeing what roles guys are best in, especially with so many new guys. Gotta try them in different roles to find out.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
As for the camp roster, someone pointed out that Larsson isn't there. But even more glaring to me is no Pickard. Gotta imagine this guy is tabbed for GR/the taxi squad. Seems like he should be there. Is he hurt?

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
As for the camp roster, someone pointed out that Larsson isn't there. But even more glaring to me is no Pickard. Gotta imagine this guy is tabbed for GR/the taxi squad. Seems like he should be there. Is he hurt?
Pickard is still in Europe... Kevin Boyle is going to be the taxi squad goalie more than likely

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Pickard is still in Europe... Kevin Boyle is going to be the taxi squad goalie more than likely

With the AHL attempting to start up a month after the NHL, I guess that makes sense.

Do we know yet what the taxi squad rules are once the AHL season begins? Can we switch guys out? Send Boyle to GR if we wanted and add someone else to the taxi squad? Otherwise I guess Boyle stays in the taxi and we bring Larsson and Pickard back for GR?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Guys. Day 1 of camp. I'm sure there will be changes in the coming days as it becomes clear what certain guys are or are not capable of. I get that this is a very short run-up to the regular season and so we can put more stock in these lines/roles than in the past, but I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about DDK skating with Hronek or playing PP1 or Ryan net-front or whatever. Part of practicing is seeing what roles guys are best in, especially with so many new guys. Gotta try them in different roles to find out.

I remember one off-season where they used different D-pairs and lines than at previous regular season. "Oh this is nice and fresh!" Then they also started the first game with those lines, and Babcock changed them back after 1st period. Never went back to pre-season lines.

Reactions: jaster

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
With the AHL attempting to start up a month after the NHL, I guess that makes sense.

Do we know yet what the taxi squad rules are once the AHL season begins? Can we switch guys out? Send Boyle to GR if we wanted and add someone else to the taxi squad? Otherwise I guess Boyle stays in the taxi and we bring Larsson and Pickard back for GR?
I believe you must have 1 goalie on the taxi squad and 2 on the roster so and cannot send one to GR. The taxi squad stays with the team with all of the Covid protocols.

"Taxi squad players are permitted to travel with the NHL squad, practice with them and join any team activities. They are not allowed to practice with any other group besides their NHL team, which includes not being allowed to practice or join in on any AHL functions."

"taxi squads will consist of four to six players and must include at least one goaltender, unless the NHL club is carrying three goaltenders on their roster."

NHL confirms taxi squads for 2020-21 season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How is Rasmussen not net front on the PP, that is literally what he is quite good at?

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How many times are we going to act surprised that the staff wants a left handed defenseman to feed Mantha on the first powerplay unit? Last season should have prepared you for this.

Also think this would be important. But also as important to build Ryan-Hronek to be another -axel.

Power_Play_Y
------- net-front guy

RH_Ryan ------- middle guy ------ Left-hander

------------ RhD_Hronek (on point)

Power_Play_Z
---------- Net-front guy

Forward ------- middle guy -------- LH_Mantha

-------------- LhD_DeKeyser (on point)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Greiss alone is an upgrade over last year

I'll corrent:

HUGE upgrade vs. Jimmy "abysmal" Howard

"abysmal" = worst goalie effort in NHL on last decade or something.

Getting a guy from one of the best factories (goalie coach Mitch Korn) will help us a lot. And also Yzerman getting these better defencemen protecting HD area, will do a lift to goalie's numbers. They are gonna push the GAA down.

Reactions: lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Also think this would be important. But also as important to build Ryan-Hronek to be another -axel.

Power_Play_Y
------- net-front guy

RH_Ryan ------- middle guy ------ Left-hander

------------ RhD_Hronek (on point)

Power_Play_Z
---------- Net-front guy

Forward ------- middle guy -------- LH_Mantha

-------------- LhD_DeKeyser (on point)

Normally I would agree with you, but I also want the second unit flowing through the left hand shot because that stands to be Zadina’s unit. And from what I have seen, they do have Gagner on the left wing half wall. I would not be shocked to see a lot of instances of Gagner rotating high to the point and letting Hronek slide to the half wall to set up the Hronek one timer, in addition to having the Zadina option.

In fact, this could result in a more effective unit because having two big shooting threats on either flank will open up those quick cross slot passes for one timed opportunities as the PK unit commits to the first pass.

All of this points to the potential value a Lucas Raymond can have in the near future. He excels on the powerplay, and he is the right hand shot on the left wing for Frölunda that the powerplay flows through.

Having an umbrella set up with Raymond-Hronek-Zadina/Mantha is tantalizing to think about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad