News Article: 2020-2021 Red Wings Training Camp

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, Detroit’s goalies are pretty bad. It felt like Bernier had a better year than he did last year because Howard was so horrific.

We have two career backups. Solid backups but backups.

I think Bernier and Greiss can both lay claim to being in the "average" range - but definitely on the lower end of that range.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I don't think Blashill is around 3 years unless there's significant improvement as early as this season.

I thought that was Erne at first. :huh:

And I don't think the Wings' goatlending will be that bad this year. Greiss was one of my top choices for a "starting" goalie.

He and Bernie might be career 2nd-string, I think they could easily platoon above-average play at the very least. They're definitely better than whatever dumpster fire San Jose will trot out.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Obviously Greiss is a clear upgrade over 2020 Jimmy Howard, however I'm not really sure what to expect otherwise.

Greiss had a particularly rough go playing behind the absolute dumpster fire defense run by Doug Weight a couple years back, then was good to great when the Isles brought in Trotz. I'm guessing the Wings D will probably be closer to what was in front of him in that season under Weight than what it was with Trotz, so is it possible he could have similar struggles here?

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Both of them had strong seasons, but as many have said are more backup than starter material. lets hope for the best when they split starts and neither one is asked with too much

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Potential Lines in there

Missing a few of the kids, but by in large I approve of this message. They look to be in line formations I can see the logic behind.

I will say I hope Merrill is Mo's partner when eventually does come over, but it would be interesting if him and Hronek hit it off. We would have an actual decent puck moving pair at that point.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Mantha saying he was going to try avoiding dropping the gloves was an interesting moment. I know a lot of people will be happy to hear it. I think it is still going to happen, but we know he is concerned about it and at least addressing it in his approach.

Honestly when I listened through this morning the impression I got was that he is just so sick of being hurt. He sounds like a guy who is going to legitimately avoid fighting moving forward. And that’s not a bad thing. Luke Glendening is our most physical and irritating forward the way he finishes his checks and sticks his nose in, and yet he never fights, no matter how much people go back at him.

Engagement doesn’t have to mean fighting, and it sounds like Mantha understands that at this point

Reactions: lilidk

J15

Mar 18, 2009

Potential Lines in there

Think Ras deserves to make the team. Give Svech and Smith a legitimate shot to beat out Erne and Helm and take whoever is better. Lindstrom should make the team as the 7th D.

I don’t want to get too excited, but are we really willing to cut Nielsen?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Mantha saying he was going to try avoiding dropping the gloves was an interesting moment. I know a lot of people will be happy to hear it. I think it is still going to happen, but we know he is concerned about it and at least addressing it in his approach.

Thing is if we really want him to not do it the best way of doing that is to have some other guys on the club willing to do it. Looking at our roster right now that other guy is...who? Maybe Bert? Maybe Nemeth? our guys are going to get run at some point and Mantha is going to feel it necessary to step up because there is no one else there to really do it.

Instead of chasing a bunch of roster filler UFA I think we would have been better off, at least on this front, to have had room for Smith and just keeping McIlrath up all season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thing is if we really want him to not do it the best way of doing that is to have some other guys on the club willing to do it. Looking at our roster right now that other guy is...who? Maybe Bert? Maybe Nemeth? our guys are going to get run at some point and Mantha is going to feel it necessary to step up because there is no one else there to really do it.

Instead of chasing a bunch of roster filler UFA I think we would have been better off, at least on this front, to have had room for Smith and just keeping McIlrath up all season.

I think he will try to avoid it, I also think it is still going to happen from time to time because of how he plays and who he is. I like that his intention is hey this hasn't worked out so maybe lets not go for this as often. I actually think the Muzzin one happened because of that kind of attitude in terms of he thought it was a normal scrum and relaxed for a second and got suplexed.

I don't think you want it out entirely has always been my take on Mantha, Ryan should be an interesting one to have around for this because of the problem he has had with his hands and that was with a few fights in there as well. Maybe that is a part of Yzerman's thoughts. Ras and Svech are plenty aggressive too if you are looking for guys that could do it. I think seeing the same guys 8 times is going to make this a little rougher season even though fighting has been trending the opposite way it could be unique there this year. I hope he stays injury free, but if he has power forward moments and protect your teammate moments I am not going to freak out, I might be holding my breath but I understand if it happens from time to time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ryan net front?

He has played down low at various points in his career. He is pretty good at it. You mostly saw Perry, but they would interchange, he played down low a decent amount in Ottawa. It is something he is capable of, but I would like more movement in our PP anyway, sliding around between Larkin, Bert, Ryan and Mantha who all are capable of playing in front could make that interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad