LD Merrill - RD Lindström
LD Lashoff - RD Biega
LD Hicketts - RD McIlrath

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Our forward-corp is NHL average at least, maybe slightly above average. Our D-Corp...ooooof..... Goalie team...oooof...

I wouldn't say our forwards are above average.
We've got one returning 20-goal man in a league that had 86 forwards who were 20-goal scorers.
There were 63 50-point scoring forwards last year. We had one of them.
There were 119 40-point forwards last year. We had 2.

We have 4 returning forwards who scored 10 goals or more.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I wouldn't say our forwards are above average.
We've got one returning 20-goal man in a league that had 86 forwards who were 20-goal scorers.
There were 63 50-point scoring forwards last year. We had one of them.
There were 119 40-point forwards last year. We had 2.

We have 4 returning forwards who scored 10 goals or more.

Looking the 20 goal and both point totals prevents the inclusion of Mantha, your best offensive player. You also have Fabbri who played an abbreviated season with the Wings, but would have made a push for 40 points had he been a regular for the full season (of games that got played).

You have Zadina who looks ready to take a step, you have Ryan and Namestikov who you would guess one of which is a top 6 forward, if not both.

And I say all of this...to agree with you. There’s no way we are above average at the forward position. There’s a strong chance we are still below average at forward. Fact of the matter is, our best players are still not good enough to be the best players for other teams in the NHL. You can find a few, but largely not, and the drop off is quick and pretty vast.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Looking the 20 goal and both point totals prevents the inclusion of Mantha, your best offensive player. You also have Fabbri who played an abbreviated season with the Wings, but would have made a push for 40 points had he been a regular for the full season (of games that got played).

You have Zadina who looks ready to take a step, you have Ryan and Namestikov who you would guess one of which is a top 6 forward, if not both.

And I say all of this...to agree with you. There’s no way we are above average at the forward position. There’s a strong chance we are still below average at forward. Fact of the matter is, our best players are still not good enough to be the best players for other teams in the NHL. You can find a few, but largely not, and the drop off is quick and pretty vast.
When thinking of an average on a 100 point scale where 50 is dead average, I think we are around the 48-57 mark, skewing toward *slightly* above average.

I know they aren't great, but they aren't terrible. I think they'll surprise this year (crosses finger, chucks salt shakers behind shoulder)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Our forward-corp is NHL average at least, maybe slightly above average. Our D-Corp...ooooof..... Goalie team...oooof...
I don't think so.

Would say:

Goalies - average
Defense - bottom 3
Forwards - bottom 5

Forwards has more potential to increase that ranking this season. If Zadina takes a step, Mantha is healthy and producing, and Larkin starts finding consistency closer to 70+ points than 50+.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'll consider us "average to above average" when:

Larkin (paces for) 70pts+/82gp
Mantha " 60+/82gp
Bert " 55+/82gp
Fabbri & Zadina both pace for 50+/82gp

I don't expect any of the other F's to pace above 40pts/82gp, with most pacing under 30pts.

Ryan 30-40pt pace/82
Namestnikov 30-40ptpace/82
Ras 30pt pace/82

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I would not pencil in Fabbri or Zadina for anything.
And while I expect Mantha to have big year, he's yet to do it throughout a season.
I also don't see Bobby Ryan or Namestnikov as legit top 6 forwards. Sure, in a pinch, they can probably hang with top 6 talent - but I don't think they're ideal. And I think Namestnikov is closer than Ryan.

We've got Larkin-Mantha-Bertuzzi and then a bunch of prospects, hand-me-downs, washed-up vets and grinders.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think so.

Would say:

Goalies - average
Defense - bottom 3
Forwards - bottom 5

Forwards has more potential to increase that ranking this season. If Zadina takes a step, Mantha is healthy and producing, and Larkin starts finding consistency closer to 70+ points than 50+.
And NHL worst coach going to give us great prospects for next 3 years or so

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think Blashill is around 3 years unless there's significant improvement as early as this season.
There are so many very good choices for Yzerman now, but he decided to keep him, so maybe it is Yzerplan, to get as many high end prospects as possible

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Forward corp is below average. I think in a regular 82 game season we'd have about 3 or 4 more guys with 10-15 goals than we did last year (Gagner, Ryan, Namestnikov), but we could do with an upgrade.

D is bottom 5 in the league. I think Hronek may have another gear after watching him before the season, but I still don't think he's a legit top pair guy. We at least got rid of the negatives in Daley, Bowey and Eriksson but we don't have much ability to generate offense from our defense.

Goalies I'd rank middle of the pack, though. Greiss was good on the island, and Bernier was our hero last season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn’t say our goalies are that bad

They are both guys that have had some bad seasons in this league and have never really ran consistently as #1s. I don't think Bernier can repeat what he did last year and Barry Trotz isn't coaching this team so expecting a sub .910 save percentage from Greiss.

I don't think anybody is going to be as bad as Howard for a long time in this league in terms of last year. But we still have a bottom five tandem in the league in my opinion.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
just going team by team with the Goalies and whether I think the Wings are better:

Calgary: No
Edmonton: Probably Not
Montreal: No
Ottawa: Maybe
Toronto: No
Vancouver: Maybe
Winnipeg: No
Anaheim: No
Arizona: No
Colorado: No
LA: Probably
Minnesota: No
San Jose: Probably
St. Louis: No
Vegas: No
Carolina: Maybe
Chicago: Yes
Columbus: No
Dallas: No
Florida: No
Nashville: No
Tampa: No
Boston: No
Buffalo : Maybe
New Jersey: No
NYI: No
NYR: No
Philadelphia: No
Pittsburgh: No
Washington: Probably Not

that puts me at 1 team where I think the Wings are clearly better,1 where I think they are probably better,4 where I think it's a tossup,2 where I think they could be better potentially but probably won't be, and 22 where I think they are clearly worse

so bottom 5ish sounds about right, shouldn't be the worst in the league but still pretty bad

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
They are both guys that have had some bad seasons in this league and have never really ran consistently as #1s. I don't think Bernier can repeat what he did last year and Barry Trotz isn't coaching this team so expecting a sub .910 save percentage from Greiss.

I don't think anybody is going to be as bad as Howard for a long time in this league in terms of last year. But we still have a bottom five tandem in the league in my opinion.
Yeah, Detroit’s goalies are pretty bad. It felt like Bernier had a better year than he did last year because Howard was so horrific.

We have two career backups. Solid backups but backups.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, Detroit’s goalies are pretty bad. It felt like Bernier had a better year than he did last year because Howard was so horrific.

We have two career backups. Solid backups but backups.

The shortened season should help us a bit here. Assuming neither guy implodes, neither then has to carry a significant load for 82 games. They just have to go out and be solid for 25-30 games which I feel a lot better about than hoping one of them might have to carry us for 50+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad