Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Bryanbryoil, Feb 13, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. DropTheGloves Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    The "downside" I think being talked about is that he's still not great defensively, nor an amazing skater, and there's this line of thought that his current environment isn't the best place to work on those things and might actually end up being worse for him in the long-run.

I just can't agree with that though. Due to COVID it's great he's playing period. And while he might not be getting world-class tutelage in skating or defensive play right now, he's showing that he can have an impact against men despite those flaws. Since he's never going to perfect in either of those areas that's a good thing. He has to use the gifts he has to their maximum benefit.

For someone who gets called Chicken Little on the regular, I don't have a problem with what Lavoie is doing or where he's playing. He might even look back on this unique situation in ten years as the thing that gave him the confidence to take the next step and become a regular pro.

LTIR, Tube Skates and Biltmore like this.
  2. OiledUp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He is playing in a league where a lot of the focus is on skating and defense so shouldn't be an awful place to improve on those attributes tbh. His club is struggling defensively in that league so I guess one could argue that he won't learn a lot in that regard. They would still roll over every top junior club with ease so it's a clear step up in quality from what he's experienced before.
    He's playing alongside guys with loads of pro experience. The guy centering him, Colin Smith, has over 300 AHL games(and a single NHL game).
    So while being in what's far from a top club in Sweden I think it's a very solid place for him to develop and I agree that he could very well end up looking back at it as a key experience in his career.

Giggleplex, TB12, Oilhawks and 2 others like this.
  3. Tube Skates Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Thanks you all for the replies. I was a Mooseheads season ticket holder while Raphael was in Halifax. Yes I was one of his biggest fans but also took constructive criticism into account. I used to sit in my seat and listen to new critics behind me every night. As most games would go. He looks slow. Clumsy. Awkward on his skates. Then he’d bag one that the goalie wouldn’t flinch on or he’d hit the boards which could drown out the crowd noise. Slowly the mumbles would turn to cheers. The kids loved him and when he finished here there were numerous autographed jerseys worn in the crowd. Looks like he’s doing well. Everybody should have known he’s a high risk high reward kind of player. I’ll be checking in from time to time. Hope he hits full potential.

4. Giggleplex Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Savoie goonin’ it up :laugh:

5. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  6. Delicious Pancakes Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Purple
    It's Matheson so take it with a grain of salt.

MisterD and Bryanbryoil like this.
  7. gordonhught "Insider" Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    hey Matheson, don’t be surprised if (insert name here) comes to the oilers and plays on the team

top notch reporting there

McYams17 likes this.
  8. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Uh ya ... okay. Just posting something of interest on this top prospect.

kurtcobang and gordonhught like this.
  9. McYams17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Holloway will be signed but he'll be in the AHL. That team needs help badly Matheson going for the extra clicks I see

Aerchon likes this.
  10. Canovin 1% is the new 11.5%

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Seeing how much Lafreniere a surefire #1 pick is struggling in the NHL, I'd say Holloway should spend some time in the AHL before even thinking of the NHL

McYams17 likes this.
  11. gordonhught "Insider" Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Holloway would be the 4th/5th best forward on this team right now

in my opinion

Oilhawks and Biltmore like this.
  12. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think this is how a lot of us feel. Going pro at season's end and digging in for adjustment in Bakersfield. His energy game would be valued on an NHL team often lacking intensity but better to move him to realistic development - AHL - if Holloway opts to go pro. He likely could slot in as a depth guy in Edmonton based on the size, skating and utility of his game but pragmatically the kid is only a couple years from twirling around the Alberta junior league.Not a first overall pick counted on to make a team and contribute quickly.

McYams17 likes this.
  13. Oilhawks Draisaitl to Kahun!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wonder if they don't give him a few games to see how he does first though? Easier to send him down than call him back up with the way the quarantine rules are.

14. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He would be assigned from Wisconsin in the U.S. so that will likely still be border quarantine issues & time coming to Edmonton if they wanted to give him a cup of coffee time on an NHL roster or taxi-squad. If he chooses to go pro the quickest route to games would be Bakersfield. We don't know how Holland and braintrust feel about Holloway's development path. Will say I don't necessarily default to well Ken Holland always does things on way (slow cook prospects). Added bonus in their assessment is the extended live viewings of the kid in Edmonton at U20 tournament.

All said, I think they'll tend to be cautious over rushing. Regardless, there's a lot of college hockey to be played by Holloway before we can even know if he opts for pro this year.

Biltmore and Oilhawks like this.
  15. Tobias Kahun Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I can’t wait to hear him ask Holloway what it’s like sitting in the same locker room as Connor.

16. McYams17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Plus, Bakersfield need his offensive game and energy. They are horrible

17. McYams17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wouldn't hype him up that much. He hasn't stepped onto the ice in pro hockey yet

TB12 likes this.
  18. McJadeddog Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Wow, I had kind of completely forgotten about him until you posted this right now. I suppose that is one of the issues with only playing your own division. Checked his stats, and YIKES. Not exactly having a great start to his career. No biggie, he's 18 and its a man league, lots of time to turn it around.

19. voxel Go Condors!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Laf is 19 (3 weeks younger than Holloway) and physically mature enough to handle the NHL.

I think the hype machine pumped him to be something he isn't.

Cloned likes this.
  20. CupofOil German Gretzky, back to being German Kurri

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Stauffer has mentioned this before so I'm sure Matheson got this info from his show.

I'm sure they want him to play in the AHL first before making the jump but who knows. Montreal is likely to do the same with Caufield. Both players seem ready for the next level.

21. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I dunno. Mathewson rightfully gets slagged for some bad twitter musing. But he's been around the team for other forty years so he has legitimate access and sources on team and throughout the league. He also often cites from whom he's passing on second hand information. Personally I think Oilers hockey ops smartly have a firewall from its paid shill.

But agree, I think more realistic Holloway goes to finishing school in Bakersfield which will be a big jump. He doesn't look far off from NHL ready but still a big jump to pro size, speed of game, and quicker decision making!

22. Delicious Pancakes Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Purple
    Wasn't shitting on your post, just tempering expectations given Matheson's "inside info" isn't as reliable as it once was.

Behind Enemy Lines likes this.
  23. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Pierre weighs in:

Oilhawks and oilers'72 like this.
  24. McFlyingV Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Pierre says some dumb things but I don't think he's far off here. In my viewings Holloway has been their best player, and I do think he is pretty close to NHL ready. It really just depends on how the Oilers bottom 6 is looking and if Nuge is back next year. It is completely possible he could make the team out of camp.

25. nafrelio Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think it was John Shannon who quoted Brian Lawton (former NHL GM) who said Holloway was ready for the NHL now too...

I wonder if the emergence of Pulju and Holloway make it possible for EDM to not resign Nuge and use the money on an elite goalie and defenseman. Perhaps they'll give him a trial run with 97 before the end of the year to see what we've got. We'd have lots of cash next off season if we didn't resign Nuge, and I like the player. 5 x 5.75 is all I'd offer him in this environment. Holloway's potential emergence takes some of Nuge's leverage away. We'll see what happens.

oilers'72 likes this.