Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There’s a very real possibility Newhook goes to the AHL once signed. I just don’t understand the assumption he’s joining the team right away since all we ever hear are contenders can’t afford to play the kids and again the question of using a contract year is something they are willing to do. I don’t question the excitement, he’s obviously a good player. But there’s a wide range of outcomes here.

I’m certainly not saying he’s definitely going to make it. I just see a couple holes in the bottom-6 of the roster and an opportunity for him to grab a spot. Particularly on the 3rd line, where there isn’t anyone with play-driving ability. If he can come in and bring some of that, it would be a big add.

He’ll have to perform great in the rest of his NCAA season. If he can come in on a heater like Byram did after the World Juniors then he’s going to have a shot.

Reactions: Richard88

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
I’m aware that following prospects is her pride and joy, and that she probably sees more of any of them that anyone else on here.

Too bad 30% of the time she only contributes snark and condescension. If she’d contributed an opinion worth responding to I might have been more pleasant in my response.
First paragraph - probably accurate.

Second paragraph - pure BS!

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I agree Metallo. Even if they're thinking of adding Newhook for the playoffs I'd still go out and get a bottom 6 C who can eat up heavy minutes in DZ starts and on the PK to insulate Newhook with more OZ starts.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ------ Kadri -------- Saad
Nichuskin ------ Newhook ----- Donskoi
Jost/Bellemare--- "3C" --------- Compher/O'Connor

Having an extra bottom 6 C would also be a nice little luxury to provide some depth for the playoffs incase injuries happen.

You're trading Kaut? ;):sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There’s absolutely a ton of question what happens to Newhook. Just about everything is on the table. It’s hilarious all the hesitance on Byram and the assumption is just Newhook is going to the NHL no questions asked.

In the off season I thought there was a good chance they'd try Newhook at 3C when his NCAA season was over, like they did with Makar on D. I've softened on that a bit though.

Not that he was bad at the WJC, he was good and he was playing injured, but he looked just a notch below where I'd want him to be physically and consistency wise to jump straight into a playoff run and the playoffs.

He might be able to improve on both enough to jump straight in it's hard to tell, but I have a feeling Joe may err on the side of caution now, like they did with Byram in the playoffs last year. Especially if they're not sure his shoulder will be 100%.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Helleson can't be stopped. Won't be stopped.

He doesn't get the goal on the first one but he starts that play in his own end and then shows off some speed driving to the net.

Hell of a play from Nesterenko there.

Pisses me off that the Wild got him and Kaprizov with 6th and 5th round picks, when they're supposed to be suffering through a rebuild. :madfire:

Reactions: Avs_19

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Helleson is pretty much everything you could want in a depth dman. That shot-assist on BC’s 4th is in the perfect place to give his forward a chance.

Reactions: Avs_19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Man..... What do we have here in Helly?

The move he makes and the way he used his body to shield the puck on the zone exit and pass off on the first goal, that is some skilled NHL level work. And the way he reads the play to slide down into the soft area of the I've for his goal is a really nice offensive IQ kind of play.

We have definitely got something here.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Well, there’s definitely something in it for him in that event, but it essentially screws the Avs.

Oh, yeah, in terms of choosing where he wants to play I can see the benefit.

I’m just talking about taking the next step in competition. It looks like he’s ready for a bump up to the AHL.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What’s Ranta’s tentative ceiling?
I always saw his ceiling as a Jamie McGinn type secondary scoring piece. Somebody you can put on the third line, or maybe the second in a pinch, who can add some north-south scoring pop.

Now, I always took a dim view of whether he would reach that ceiling, but at any rate he's clearly proved that he's ready to take the next step up in competition.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It’s not my comparable but his ceiling is more of a Kreider type. He’s second in goals in the NCAA and is a physical freak where he’s figured out how to use his body to his advantage.

Sampo should have had another goal last night on a breakaway he got the puck through the 5 hole and it deflected off the back of the goalies pads on the way to the net and just missed. I’ve never seen that before.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It’s not my comparable but his ceiling is more of a Kreider type. He’s second in goals in the NCAA and is a physical freak where he’s figured out how to use his body to his advantage.

Sampo should have had another goal last night on a breakaway he got the puck through the 5 hole and it deflected off the back of the goalies pads on the way to the net and just missed. I’ve never seen that before.
I've always been kind of low on him because I saw a lack of IQ, so that's why I guess I see him more in the vein of a middle six than a true top six player. He's definitely proving he can dominate the NCAA, hopefully he can continue to adapt as he moves up the ladder.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I always saw his ceiling as a Jamie McGinn type secondary scoring piece. Somebody you can put on the third line, or maybe the second in a pinch, who can add some north-south scoring pop.

Now, I always took a dim view of whether he would reach that ceiling, but at any rate he's clearly proved that he's ready to take the next step up in competition.

Clearly we’re talking hypotheticals/wishful thinking. If he could be a middle 6 winger with 20 goal upside, & possibly a net front nuisance on the PP I could live with that. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad