2020-2021 Laval Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Bouchard confirmed that Guhle and Bekzile are still no ready to return. So they won't play tomorrow.

In Guhle's case, WHL camps are set to begin next weekend. So it's possible we won't get to see him play.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Best prospects with Laval so far in my opinion

#1 - Cayden Primeau - future starter, potential top-15 NHL goalie, very sharp
#2 - Jesse Ylonen - top-6 winger, looks amazing out there
#3 - Ryan Poehling - 3rd line C, skating has improved, offensive skills not very high unfortunately
#4 - Cale Fleury - #4 or #5 D, solid all-around, skates well, moves the puck okay, and can dish out some checks
#5 - Rafael Harvey-Pinard - 3rd line wing, but honestly wouldn't be surprised if he can play a top-6 role eventually
#6 - Jan Mysak - has looked good with 4th line minutes, potential 3C with some offensive upside, good hockey IQ and solid both offense and defense
#7 - Joel Teasdale - 3rd line/4th line C or wing, hardworking guy
#8 - Lukas Vejdemo - could play on a 4th line but I don't have much hope... De La Rose 2.0
#9 - Gianni Fairbrother - only one game but he looked pretty solid, good skater
#10 - Josh Brook - time is running out, has looked average out there... the next Brett Lernout
#11 - Arsen Khisamutdinov - has some tools but has mostly looked lost out there, not the best skater

Good depth players - Dauphin, Weal, Blandisi, Ouellet, Olofsson, Leskinen

Yannick Veilleux and Corey Schueneman - I could see Bergevin signing them to NHL contracts if he wants more depth - they have looked good out there

*Belzile, Guhle, Hillis have not played so far

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

#3 - Ryan Poehling - 3rd line C, skating has improved, offensive skills not very high unfortunately
#4 - Cale Fleury - #4 or #5 D, solid all-around, skates well, moves the puck okay, and can dish out some checks
#5 - Rafael Harvey-Pinard - 3rd line wing, but honestly wouldn't be surprised if he can play a top-6 role eventually
#6 - Jan Mysak - has looked good with 4th line minutes, potential 3C with some offensive upside, good hockey IQ and solid both offense and defense
#8 - Lukas Vejdemo - could play on a 4th line but I don't have much hope... De La Rose 2.0
#10 - Josh Brook - time is running out, has looked average out there... the next Brett Lernout
#11 - Arsen Khisamutdinov - has some tools but has mostly looked lost out there, not the best skater

Yannick Veilleux and Corey Schueneman - I could see Bergevin signing them to NHL contracts if he wants more depth - they have looked good out there

It's refreshing to be reading positive comments here and the GDT. May finally be able supply the mother club with suitable,competent assets freeing up cap and getting some game-breakers via trade or UFA.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021

Very optimistic outlook. Lehkonen was more productive at a higher level of play in Europe at the same age as Ylonen, and Artie is just hanging on in the NHL as a bottom 6 winger 4 years later. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jessi to play top 6. I think Cale Fleury is the top prospect on the team. Most likely to have a solid NHL career, along with Primeau and the kids from 2020 draft, although the latter 3 are a ways off.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010

Generally, not a bad ranking but I will just bring my opinion on some players.

For Cale Fleury, I cant see it. He is physically involved yes. However, when he has the puck, it is pathetic. It reminds me Emelin. Sometimes he makes good plays with the puck, but 75% of the time, the puck is at the wrong player so he put them in sh*t, the pass is not on the tape, he gives the puck to the right when the player is a lefty. Just doing a simple breakout clean pass on the tape seems so difficult. He is still young, but not sure if he has the brain to succeed in the NHL.

For Ylonen, I like the speed/pace he brings to a game. If he would have hit the net, he would have 2 goals at least. However, I find that he is too much east-west. Would like him to drive the net, to go in the dirty areas, try to do some skills or moves and create opening lanes in the slot like Caufield does. It is mainly the problem with the Habs. Too much shooting from the exterior of the slot and no quality chances.

RHP is playing very well. Giving everything he has every night. Great to see him succeed. I am pretty sure they drafted him just to make the fanbase happy, their QMJHL's draft choice and yes, they like the way he plays, but dont think they were expecting him to do that. Thumbs up to him.

Finally, I am a little bit disappointed with Mysak. I saw him at the WJC and in the AHL. He is clearly not ready for AHL, but at the WJC, he did not create a ton of offense. Seems so responsible defensively, yes he is willing to learn and he play the game the right way. However, for the moment, I have not seen the offense in his game. However, I did not watch one game in Hamilton last year, just saw his highlights and have not been impress yet. I know that some of you were pretty high on his offensive side of the game, but I dont buy it yet!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With all the players we have, they could have made up a Laval Red and Laval Blue teams, make it 6 teams at least. Granted that could have been messy, they would have needed to use the NHL taxi squad players, though it would have given them games at least but then creates other problems.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
IMG_20210223_165252.jpg

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Just curious. Schueneman is signed with Laval, correct? Could he sign an nhl contract or is he committed to Laval? The reason I ask is the guy has been awesome and I'd love to see what he could do on our bottom pair.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just curious. Schueneman is signed with Laval, correct? Could he sign an nhl contract or is he committed to Laval? The reason I ask is the guy has been awesome and I'd love to see what he could do on our bottom pair.

Any team can come in and offer him an NHL contract. Any player that is signed to an AHL contract is committed to the AHL team he's signed to. But any team can come offering him an NHL deal and if he signs, he can leave right away to join the team he just signed for.

Reactions: DAChampion

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Any team can come in and offer him an NHL contract. Any player that is signed to an AHL contract is committed to the AHL team he's signed to. But any team can come offering him an NHL deal and if he signs, he can leave right away to join the team he just signed for.
Ah. Thanks. I wonder if Burrows would try and influence that decision? I absolutely think they should give him a try. The guy looks better than Mete and Kulak.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ah. Thanks. I wonder if Burrows would try and influence that decision? I absolutely think they should give him a try. The guy looks better than Mete and Kulak.

Personally, I don't think any team will jump in offering him an NHL deal. You rarely see it if ever it happens.

Also keep in mind, while Schueneman looks great so far for Laval, he is playing in the AHL and him going to the NHL will be a completely different animal.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Personally, I don't think any team will jump in offering him an NHL deal. You rarely see it if ever it happens.

Also keep in mind, while Schueneman looks great so far for Laval, he is playing in the AHL and him going to the NHL will be a completely different animal.
Agreed, but given the circumstances, it might not be worth a look.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Will be interesting to see who Bouchard chooses to replace Burrows.

Currently only has Jacob as assistant (with Marciano as goalie coach).

Maybe Alexandre Jacques (who is still assistant coach for Blainville) or JF Fortin (moved on as director of player development for Gatineau) get a call from Bouchard.

Maybe some other QC ex-player?

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Only thinking of QMJHL head coaches since I don't know them much (unlike the way I was aware of Ducharme and Bouchard and hoping they would be hired). But do you guys think Bruce Richardson (Blainville HC) or Steve Hartley (Drummondville HC) would be good choices?

Although it's surely tougher to convince a head coach leave his team mid-season.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Only thinking of QMJHL head coaches since I don't know them much (unlike the way I was aware of Ducharme and Bouchard and hoping they would be hired). But do you guys think Bruce Richardson (Blainville HC) or Steve Hartley (Drummondville HC) would be good choices?

Although it's surely tougher to convince a head coach leave his team mid-season.

No for Richardson, he's a JNR coach career. Hartley maybe but I think he will try to get an ex player like Burrows.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

darknife2311

Jun 29, 2018

Forget Bruce now... He's a bad coach... Many fans (me included) want him fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad