Prospect Info: 2020-2021 In The System: AHL, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't see it. For years and years people on here have been saying that so and so is a steal and will come up to fill in the lineup. Every draft, there are 2 or 3 late selections that people go gaga over and think they'll make the team and be our 3C or whatever. It just doesn't happen. We got Malgin and that's it. (on D we got Weegar, Brown, and Stillman)

Talking further than 2 years down the road is really iffy. Are you really confident in the forward group if Barkov just pack his shit and leave à la Tavares? Contract wise, Weegar&Ekblad is a better situation than Huby&Barkov.

I'm more confident that Koly, Gildon, Priskie, Ludwigg, and Keeper can, as a group, manage to fill in spot #3-4 than I am confident in Lundell, Tippett, Denisenko, Saarela, Noel, Hutsko, Borg, etc. to fill line 2 & 3. But if Huberdeau and Barkov leave, then this group need to fill the top 9. That's and even more dubious prospect.

Yeah, we don't have a blue chip dman, but we didn't have a blue chip center either before this past draft. Next year seems to be a good dman class, so we should be able to nab one of them in the top 10. Can you honestly say that prior to this draft you were confident in our forward prospect pool? Saarela #1C in two years? That's a hard sell.

Goalie is an easy fix? We spent 10M and got AHL level goaltending. I guess you can easily fix goaltending when you don't have a 10M anchor and are not name Tallon.

I really don't think we are worse at drafting forwards than we are at defensemen, if that's what you're suggesting. We've also drafted Hyman, Donskoi, Grimaldi, Hawryluk, Mamin, and Lammikko. Not just Malgin. Those guys just didn't work out as Panthers for various reasons. But we still drafted them. Yeah, Koly, Ludvig, and Gildon might all become #3-5 d-men, but that still doesn't make our defense a lot better than it is right now. In order for the team to take the next step and be capable of going on a deep playoff run, the defense has to be improved drastically. That doesnt happen by upgrading a #5 d-man to a younger #4 d-man. This blueline needs a serious talent infusion. Yeah we could grab a blue chip D prospect in the next draft. I'm not saying its not possible. But I don't know what Zito's plans are. All I'm saying is as of now, the future of our blueline doesn't look that great. At best, it's an average blueline in 5 years. Which means our offense and goaltending would have to be spectacular in order for us to go deep in the playoffs.

Also, Weegar has 3 years left as does Huby. So I don't see how the contracts situation is that much better on defense. Obviously, if Barkov leaves, we're screwed. We'd be a basement team for the rest of the decade. Our whole plan revolves around him staying. But assuming he does stay, there seems to be more high end talent coming up in the forward ranks than the defense. Idk why you are so down on Tippett, Lundell, and Deni, but a lot of experts have these 3 guys ranked pretty highly among drafted prospects. Our scoring should be fine for years(assuming Barkov re-signs). Huby is very important too, but not vital. Plus we'd get a good package for him. His stock around the league is pretty high right now. Out of Saarela, Noel, Luostarinen, Borg, Hutsko, Heineman, Smilanic, Sourdif, we'll get a couple decent depth scorers at least and a couple solid role players. I'm not saying we'll necessarily have a high flying offense, but it won't be our achilles heel.

Obviously we gambled and lost with Bob and giving him 10M, but he could still bounce back and then it wouldn't be terrible. But even if he never does, plus Knight doesn't work out for some reason, goaltending is definitely fixable. Bob basically can be jettisoned after 4 more years. The last two.years of his contract are easy to buy out. Plus we could still find a cheap option to platoon with him in the meantime. Chicago got All-Star caliber goaltending out of Lehner last season for a song.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I really don't think we are worse at drafting forwards than we are at defensemen, if that's what you're suggesting. We've also drafted Hyman, Donskoi, Grimaldi, Hawryluk, Mamin, and Lammikko. Not just Malgin. Those guys just didn't work out as Panthers for various reasons. But we still drafted them. Yeah, Koly, Ludvig, and Gildon might all become #3-5 d-men, but that still doesn't make our defense a lot better than it is right now. In order for the team to take the next step and be capable of going on a deep playoff run, the defense has to be improved drastically. That doesnt happen by upgrading a #5 d-man to a younger #4 d-man. This blueline needs a serious talent infusion. Yeah we could grab a blue chip D prospect in the next draft. I'm not saying its not possible. But I don't know what Zito's plans are. All I'm saying is as of now, the future of our blueline doesn't look that great. At best, it's an average blueline in 5 years. Which means our offense and goaltending would have to be spectacular in order for us to go deep in the playoffs.

Also, Weegar has 3 years left as does Huby. So I don't see how the contracts situation is that much better on defense. Obviously, if Barkov leaves, we're screwed. We'd be a basement team for the rest of the decade. Our whole plan revolves around him staying. But assuming he does stay, there seems to be more high end talent coming up in the forward ranks than the defense. Idk why you are so down on Tippett, Lundell, and Deni, but a lot of experts have these 3 guys ranked pretty highly among drafted prospects. Our scoring should be fine for years(assuming Barkov re-signs). Huby is very important too, but not vital. Plus we'd get a good package for him. His stock around the league is pretty high right now. Out of Saarela, Noel, Luostarinen, Borg, Hutsko, Heineman, Smilanic, Sourdif, we'll get a couple decent depth scorers at least and a couple solid role players. I'm not saying we'll necessarily have a high flying offense, but it won't be our achilles heel.

Obviously we gambled and lost with Bob and giving him 10M, but he could still bounce back and then it wouldn't be terrible. But even if he never does, plus Knight doesn't work out for some reason, goaltending is definitely fixable. Bob basically can be jettisoned after 4 more years. The last two.years of his contract are easy to buy out. Plus we could still find a cheap option to platoon with him in the meantime. Chicago got All-Star caliber goaltending out of Lehner last season for a song.
Good points all around. But I want to debate the defensive status a little bit.

Compared to last year, we’re rid of Matheson, and we added Nuti and Gudas. With Ek and Weegar, and with reduced role for Yandle on 5-on-5, this may already be average defensively. A lot depends on what kind of shape/health Stralman comes back in. And of course Yandle. Either or both could surprise us positively - I’m not expecting it but Stral in particular, if his injuries are fully healed and he’s training well, could be back quicker and more mobile, and if that happens then the D should be okay. A bunch of ifs but as long as we’re speaking on paper lineups, I look at potential.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Good points all around. But I want to debate the defensive status a little bit.

Compared to last year, we’re rid of Matheson, and we added Nuti and Gudas. With Ek and Weegar, and with reduced role for Yandle on 5-on-5, this may already be average defensively. A lot depends on what kind of shape/health Stralman comes back in. And of course Yandle. Either or both could surprise us positively - I’m not expecting it but Stral in particular, if his injuries are fully healed and he’s training well, could be back quicker and more mobile, and if that happens then the D should be okay. A bunch of ifs but as long as we’re speaking on paper lineups, I look at potential.

The blueline next season could be average, we will see. As you say, a lot depends on Stralman. If he's solid or even good, it could be a pretty decent blueline with three capable pairs that can all hold their own. If he struggles, it's gonna be ugly. I'm also a big fan of Nuti, I think with his expanded role and a fresh start, he's gonna shine. It's the two elder statesmen that will ultimately decide which way this group leans though.

Reactions: KW

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Actually didn’t see the first one but the third one was embarassing on BC’s part. He’s got to get the rust off though. Still .909 tonight not bad.
Eh I think Knight is in a no win situation in BC: it’s almost impossible to improve upon his last season.

I wasn’t terribly impressed from what I saw based on high opinion of him

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Eh I think Knight is in a no win situation in BC: it’s almost impossible to improve upon his last season.

I wasn’t terribly impressed from what I saw based on high opinion of him
He was dominant last season. First game of the season means nothing at this point.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Borgstrom with a goal (3 points in 4 Liiga games).

Lundell also with a goal - 20 points in 16 games so far:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Hurry up and post the hatter gif :laugh:
From what ya hear, Lindmark was hid behind a strong depth chart of the US development team.
We've hit on some mid/late round defense, would be nice to start hitting mid round picks on forward.

Schwindt and Lindmark along with Luostarinen has our 3C/4C jobs competitive for years to come.
Curious if Schwindt will crack a couple cuts by Canada? Would be good for his confidence going back for a 4th and final OHL year, if they play this year that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad