2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
TBay drafts some solid prospects with 1sts and 2nds (Howden/Hajek), flips them for established players (Miller/McDonagh), gets some use of them, finds out Miller isn't a fit, flips him for zero cash back and straight picks, uses the 3rd to draft a good goalie prospect, flips the 1st for 2 years of Blake Coleman.

That's not a model the Canucks should be following and I don't think that's intentional. Much better to actually draft a player who fits rather than flip them them for established players. For a win now team like Tampa that makes sense but I bet they would have preferred drafting DeBrincat instead of a Howdown/Hajek as assets to flip.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's not a model the Canucks should be following and I don't think that's intentional. Much better to actually draft a player who fits rather than flip them them for established players. For a win now team like Tampa that makes sense but I bet they would have preferred drafting DeBrincat instead of a Howdown/Hajek as assets to flip.

Drafting itself is 90% position and luck.

It's what you do with the assets after you have them that actually builds a champion.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Gaudette was a -1 in the first 10mins of his debut in Chicago and is now already a healthy scratch..

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Are you sure? His actual salary in the last year is $9mil. The new QO rules were grandfathered in so they wouldn’t apply to Tkachuk

This is correct. Same situation as Boeser. Contracts signed before the MoU took effect (July 10, 2020) are not subject to the 1.2X AAV max QO.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Are you sure? His actual salary in the last year is $9mil. The new QO rules were grandfathered in so they wouldn’t apply to Tkachuk

Yeah that's my bad. The rule applies to contracts signed after July 2020 and his deal was signed in 2019.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
No they didn't. They may have targeted different types of pro players, but the overarching strategy was there the whole time. Why could they afford to trade 1st rounders for role players? Because they had hoarded picks and basically ran the best developmental organization in the league for years.

None of what they added takes anything away from what I said or the point I was making.

To your other point:

Was JT Miller not rugged? McDonagh? Garrison?

Heck even JT Miller proves my original point. TBay drafts some solid prospects with 1sts and 2nds (Howden/Hajek), flips them for established players (Miller/McDonagh), gets some use of them, finds out Miller isn't a fit, flips him for zero cash back and straight picks, uses the 3rd to draft a good goalie prospect, flips the 1st for 2 years of Blake Coleman.
I need to read your original post. What is their over arching strategy? To pick superstars in the second and third round after picking 4 times in the top 6 and getting 2 superstars that way? They changed course after being swept by Columbus. They use to play a softer skilled game but now they can play any style. They changed their strategy.

Toronto has been following TB strategies. They also changed course. Toronto traded for a lot of picks a few years ago but very few have hit and no Point or Kucherov for them. I give TB credit for asset management and adding to their core but I do not see an unique overarching strategy anymore. They are not any differently built then multiple other teams.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Maybe he’s not in game shape yet?

Doesn’t it take like 3 weeks to get back into shape post covid?
Not sure, I'll defer to Blackhawks management who held him out of the lineup for that exact reason. Then after practicing with the team on the top line decided he was ready.

So if he's not ready thats on them, or he wasn't very good again, and now an apparent "healthy" scratch for brandon hagel..

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not sure, I'll defer to Blackhawks management who held him out of the lineup for that exact reason. Then after practicing with the team on the top line decided he was ready.

So if he's not ready thats on them, or he wasn't very good again, and now an apparent "healthy" scratch for brandon hagel..
Been watching the Comets, and don’t see a lot more in Gaudette than I do in Jasek.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Hagel scores game winner for Chicago in OT.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Correct me if I’m wrong , with nj and Buffalo eliminated from the playoffs they also, cannot win the 1st overall pick because both teams had 1st picks on the past 5 seasons correct ?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The new crop (N-OBC?, NBC? :laugh:) is pretty solid, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Rob Blake.

Luongo seems to be groomed for one of the top slots in the organization...

[luongo walks into the BOG meeting with a chip on his shoulder]

random older GM: sorry lu, we had to f you even though you’re an old boy because that’s how important it is to f a new boy. i hope you understand. it’s really really important for ys old boys to f the new boys.

lou: [to himself] why is this boomer talking about fboys? am i on bryan singer’s island?

Reactions: Bubbles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad