2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Am I the only one who would look long and hard at offering Pettersson in an Eichel trade?

Not without some agreement that he wanted to come here and, obviously, what the other pieces are.

It's also interesting how that would continue to shift the team into one that is pretty entirely driven by American players (Miller, Schmidt, Hughes, Boeser, Sutter, Motte, Gaudette, Demko, and even the bit guys like Bailey and Chatfield. Myers, who is Canadian, was born in Texas).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Am I the only one who would look long and hard at offering Pettersson in an Eichel trade?
Eichel is great, but does he play all 200 feet, like Petey does? I think Eichel might be better suited as a second fiddle instead of the lead. So, I’d want Eichel, but not at the expense of Petey.
Have to be Bo plus

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not without some agreement that he wanted to come here and, obviously, what the other pieces are.

It's also interesting how that would continue to shift the team into one that is pretty entirely driven by American players (Miller, Schmidt, Hughes, Boeser, Sutter, Motte, Gaudette, Demko, and even the bit guys like Bailey and Chatfield. Myers, who is Canadian, was born in Texas).

I mean, obviously you'd want to do your homework. And I wouldn't go much further than 1-for-1 given Buffalo's issues and his potential desire to leave. And of course, you'd first see if you could do the trade with quantity of lesser assets instead of quality.

But if it came down to it ... man. Eichel is absolutely f***ing elite. There wouldn't be more than 3 forwards I'd take over him for the next 5 years (McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon).

Reactions: VanillaCoke

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, obviously you'd want to do your homework. And I wouldn't go much further than 1-for-1 given Buffalo's issues and his potential desire to leave. And of course, you'd first see if you could do the trade with quantity of lesser assets instead of quality.

But if it came down to it ... man. Eichel is absolutely f***ing elite. There wouldn't be more than 3 forwards I'd take over him for the next 5 years (McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon).
I doubt any team is offering a one for one type trade for him.

If Anaheim offers Zegras and Drysdale as the main pieces, that's hard to top from Vancouver's POV. Ducks get a replacement for Getzlaf as their 1C. Buffalo gains a PMD to play the right side with Dahlin on the left. And Zegras is the winger they passed over to take Cozens the C because they couldn't count on Mittlestadt to become their 2C.

Buffalo, could also stipulate that they need to swap Okposo for Kesler in that deal and put Kesler on LTIR and save on cash paying only the insurance for Kesler.

I doubt a package of Horvat, Boeser would be what Buffalo would want given the runway they would have before these 2 above hit UFA and unlikely to extend with them unless they see them truly turn the corner.

Getting really young guys gives them a longer runway to fix things.

Buffalo has to the end of the 21-22 NHL calendar year to be able to trade Eichel anywhere before his NTC clause kicks in for what would be his 8th NHL season. That is their deadline if they need to move him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No denying he's a talent and a half, but something about his demeanour and comments (about being on a losing team) rub me the wrong way tbh...

Not convinced he's a' team' guy.

I don't know. Like I said, you'd really want to do your homework.

My impression of Eichel is that he's a very competitive guy who wants to win and is frustrated at being stuck in a sad-sack organization. Seems like he's trying to demand improvement and excellence from the people around him. But I'd be lying if I said that Buffalo was one of the teams I followed most closely so I'm not going to say that my take is absolutely correct.

I feel like Pettersson would have similar things to say about multiple years on a losing team, though. Strikes me as a bit of a similar personality.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I doubt any team is offering a one for one type trade for him.

If Anaheim offers Zegras and Drysdale as the main pieces, that's hard to top from Vancouver's POV. Ducks get a replacement for Getzlaf as their 1C. Buffalo gains a PMD to play the right side with Dahlin on the left. And Zegras is the winger they passed over to take Cozens the C because they couldn't count on Mittlestadt to become their 2C.

Buffalo, could also stipulate that they need to swap Okposo for Kesler in that deal and put Kesler on LTIR and save on cash paying only the insurance for Kesler.

I doubt a package of Horvat, Boeser would be what Buffalo would want given the runway they would have before these 2 above hit UFA and unlikely to extend with them unless they see them truly turn the corner.

Getting really young guys gives them a longer runway to fix things.

Buffalo has to the end of the 21-22 NHL calendar year to be able to trade Eichel anywhere before his NTC clause kicks in for what would be his 8th NHL season. That is their deadline if they need to move him.
IMO there’s zero chance a rebuilding team, like the ducks, would offer their two star prospects for Eichel. EIchel will go to a team coming out of their rebuild like the Rangers, who have enough young talent to give up two young pieces.

Reactions: CanuckCity

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
No denying he's a talent and a half, but something about his demeanour and comments (about being on a losing team) rub me the wrong way tbh...

Not convinced he's a' team' guy.
What were the comments. Any different than Miller’s outward effort ?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

My impression of Eichel is that he's a very competitive guy who wants to win and is frustrated at being stuck in a sad-sack organization. Seems like he's trying to demand improvement and excellence from the people around him. But I'd be lying if I said that Buffalo was one of the teams I followed most closely so I'm not going to say that my take is absolutely correct.

I feel like Pettersson would have similar things to say about multiple years on a losing team, though. Strikes me as a bit of a similar personality.

Who can blame either of them. Look at McDavid as well. Wasting a 1000+ point career on a perennial loser would be awful.

You have to think that EP carries some weight with FA if his opinion was asked, and I would not be surprised if FA asked him. Certainly the Sedins had more say than they should have, at least at the end when they were far past their prime.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess the real question is who's the GM and coach here when the hypothetical deal goes down?
Trying to figure out what a good fit would be for both sides of a trade in terms of who could pull this deal off to give Buffalo what they need and for that team to be able to compete with Eichel once they got him.

Anaheim makes sense. Islanders if Barzal goes the other way. NJ, not close enough to winning now if they were to swap Hughes as the key piece going the other way. NYR, if Laf and Kakko were performing better right now, I would put them down.

I'm sure Buffalo would rather send him to the West, but aside from Anaheim, don't see a fit. Think buffalo needs more ELC guys as their runway to getting decent is long and they can't risk a guy bolting for UFA in 3 years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Rangers and Sabres young star D both look really bad one each teams’ opening Goal. Is Dahlin overrated?

lawrence

May 19, 2012

10 million dollar salary, I did consider the possibilities of adding him and what it will take.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Tough call. Eichel is more sure but likely has higher contract going forward. Canucks would be better now, as Eichel is more proven as a full time center and his relative size is a benefit. Is it enough of a difference to take the risk, probably not.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Id trade anyone on our roster for eichel, and I think there's an argument for keeping horvat as a high end, relatively cheaper 2C behind him but its kind of a win win whether it is horvat or ep staying.

I would obviously rather try the hot quantity approach first, Miller 1st Virtanen Pod might look pretty enticing to Buffalo management.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Id trade anyone on our roster for eichel, and I think there's an argument for keeping horvat as a high end, relatively cheaper 2C behind him but its kind of a win win whether it is horvat or ep staying.

I would obviously rather try the hot quantity approach first, Miller 1st Virtanen Pod might look pretty enticing to Buffalo management.
After an off-season of hell, having a new shiny player without the emotional baggage of remembering how shitty the team is without Markstrom and Tanev might be a legitimate way out of this mess.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I wouldn't trade Pettersson for Eichel straight up as things stand right now.

They are equitable players but Pettersson is younger and fits our contention window better.

If Pettersson forces a horrendous contract that walks him straight to UFA then maybe I'd reconsider.

I'd rather trade a big package like Horvat+Boeser+ than deal Pettersson 1 for 1.

After an off-season of hell, having a new shiny player without the emotional baggage of remembering how shitty the team is without Markstrom and Tanev might be a legitimate way out of this mess.
As bad as Jim has been, the emotional baggage of Buffalo for Jack's career has been significantly worse than what Petterson has experienced.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I wouldn't trade Pettersson for Eichel straight up as things stand right now.

They are equitable players but Pettersson is younger and fits our contention window better.

If Pettersson forces a horrendous contract that walks him straight to UFA then maybe I'd reconsider.

I'd rather trade a big package like Horvat+Boeser+ than deal Pettersson 1 for 1.
Thats dumb as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad