Prospect Info: [2020 - 102nd] Jack Smith (NCAA - Minnesota-Duluth)

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
He's still young! Even if it isn't looking bright, many athletes have to go through hard times before eventually reaching stardom imho. Maybe he'll reverse the tides

Reactions: bopeep

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
After watching a couple of his games post draft, I was like WTF is that pick? Kid didnt even look like a 7th rounder...

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
High school kids are tough to project. It's not looking good for Jack Smith but I still like the pick. I'm glad the Habs mine USHS and USNDT and Jr. A in Canada. Led to some good picks even if this doesn't end up being one of them.

Other than Poehling, which other picks from those leagues ended up reaching the NHL?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Other than Poehling, which other picks from those leagues ended up reaching the NHL?
US High Schoool - McDonagh, and then they didn't draft another High School player until Casey Staum in the 5th round in 2016, then Harris, Struble, Smith, Biondi.

NTDP - Caufield, McCarron, Tinordi, Kristo didn't make it, then Tuch in 2020.

Jr. A - Evans, Stapley who's in college still, and some other late picks who never made it.

Poehling was drafted out of college, he wasn't a HS/NTDP pick.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The most perplexing thing is that they valued Jack Smith and Blake Biondi more than Sean Farrell. Luckily they still got a chance to pick Farrell, but I have no idea how someone could watch the other two and come to the conclusion that they have more upside.

Maybe teams should realize that US High School hockey just isn’t as good as they think it is. Look at Mittelstadt.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Isn't he a very good skater ? Cause Timmins loves great skating players with low NHL potential, we've seen many of his '3rd to 5th round great skating projects' doing pretty much nothing at the next levels. Many times throughout the years I've wondered if he knew what real, projectable skill was.

he's a great skater, I'm guessing they saw him rack up the goals as he did have a sick season in his last year in the USHS but it was cut short to injury as he only played only 11 games (not counting playoffs) plus he played in a travel league as the USHS starts later due to football, since some play both sports, Anders Lee did as that's why he went undrafted in his first year as he was so good as a QB teams didn't want to pick him as they thought he would go the NCAA route for football. (I played in the USHS and did the same, football then ice hockey for just my Freshman year as it was too much)

I don't know what's going on, just that his team currently is one of the worst in the USHL in goals and points but it's only 3 games in so we'll see.

Reactions: Gyfu

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's no wonder players suffer from anxiety and mental health issues

The hell are you talking about?

Am I tweeting at the guy, sliding into his DMs, texting him personally?

If you're a writer and you put your work out there to be reviewed and you read the reviews and they aren't favorable - is the onus on the person reviewing it to not be truthful in their evaluation, or is it on the person requesting the review? Basically - if Jack Smith wants to see what people are saying about him in a thread on a prospect board and comes across evaluations that aren't favorable, that is completely on him.

Now, if any of us were actually tweeting directly at him and putting him in a position where he has no choice whether he can or can't see the evaluation, that is a different story.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's good enough to play for them???

he was already accepted to play for them but when the NCAA came out with the covid rule where they are letting Seniors play for a 5th year and transfer without having to sit out a year. UMD had a bunch of these 5th Senior/transfers so there was no room for Smith and I'm sure his terrible season mixed with his injuries, it was clear he needed more time.

The UMD coach (former Hab Scott Sandlin) is one of the best in the NCAA, so if he things Smith is still worth bringing back then he sees something. Smith plays on the worst team in the USHL. Smith has 2 goals, 1 more and only 2 players would be ahead of him and by 1 goal. He's missed 4 games to injury as well. We don't know what all these injuries have been. He's been injured in his draft year, his D+1 year and now this year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I said it at the time but i still think this holds true the 2020 and 2021 drafts are going to be absolute messes and littered with picks that people are gonna say wtf howd he fall so far. This is the inverse of it, basically some of the scouting teams would've been in the vein of I saw him play a few times and liked him

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Wonder if we will be seeing Jack Smith at UMD next year, maybe he repeats in the USHL. He's only played 10 games this year and 47 last year, even in his draft year he played 33 games between USHS/USHS Elite league/and USHS playoffs. Might not be room for him although they will lose at least 4 forwards but have Howard incoming who could be possible 1st round pick this summer.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Wonder if we will be seeing Jack Smith at UMD next year, maybe he repeats in the USHL. He's only played 10 games this year and 47 last year, even in his draft year he played 33 games between USHS/USHS Elite league/and USHS playoffs. Might not be room for him although they will lose at least 4 forwards but have Howard incoming who could be possible 1st round pick this summer.

I can't see how he could make that lineup, he's coming in with little to no momentum behind him. I don't know if they're expecting a good freshmen crop though, outside of Howard. You can only take so many rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad