Prospect Info: [2020 - 102nd] Jack Smith (NCAA - Minnesota-Duluth)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well I must have missed those games. Didn't see the elite. Good skating for sure, great technique.

I posted a number of his vids on my youtube channel. Now he missed a big chunk of time to injury but he had a 1.46 goals per game in the 11 games he played, over 25 games that puts him on pace for 37 goals which is the exact totals of Biondi who won the Mr. Hockey. In the playoffs Biondi had 10 goals in 6 games and Smith had 11 goals in 6 games.

So while in the toughest division, in what is likely the best USHS league, he was on pace to be one of the best goal scorers. Granted you don't know if he could have kept that pace but the shot to me looks very legit. I showed how bad it was at one point early this season when it was rumored he injured his wrist. He clearly wasn't getting much on the shot. It would be great if the Habs would give the fans any kind of updates like that so we knew for sure.

I really like the way he plays, he's aggressive, gets his nose dirty, is the kind that can play in all situations and seems to be smart but I'd need to see a good bit more of him to really say. The problem is he has that Evans like frame where you wonder how much weight and strength can he add over time.

On the other hand I can't speak to what went so wrong this year that he had such a terrible season. Now if he was dealing with a wrist injury, that would explain some of it, but then why was he playing. If not a wrist injury then what happened to his shot early on as later in the year he did look to be shooting better but by then he went from the 1st line from when I saw him in the 1st month of the season to the 3rd line in just one or two games that I was able to see him near the end of the season. This I believe was after he got injured twice and missed 2 weeks the first time and then 1 week the 2nd time. No word at all on what the injuries were.

So maybe he's not as good as I thought, we'll see how next year goes.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Curious to see if Jack Smith will play in the USHL this year. EliteProspects has him at University of Minnesota-Duluth. But last year, they also had Pitlick listed at playing in the NCAA before the season started, but he ended up going back to the USHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Curious to see if Jack Smith will play in the USHL this year. EliteProspects has him at University of Minnesota-Duluth. But last year, they also had Pitlick listed at playing in the NCAA before the season started, but he ended up going back to the USHL.

no I don't think he will be at UMD due to the covid rule that is allowing players to return for a 5th year, if you look a few posts up I discussed it but never heard anything official. I would bet on him being in the USHL and it's for the best as I would rather he play on the top line in the USHL then get the TOI Biondi got as UMD is going to be a top team in the NCHC.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Jack Smith listed in Sioux Falls' training camp roster.

They're playing their first preseason game on the 10th.

It's disappointing but he just hasn't been good enough to land a spot with UMD . It's a hard lineup to crack to begin with, let alone after a bad year in the USHL.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's disappointing but he just hasn't been good enough to land a spot with UMD . It's a hard lineup to crack to begin with, let alone after a bad year in the USHL.

I think he would be there if not for the covid rule, if the rumors are true that he was playing with a injured wrist. UMD got 5 5th year players I believe, so that's 5 roster spots that would have gone to Freshman that now you don't want to use on them since they will not get playing time (th0ugh they could red shirt).

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think he would be there if not for the covid rule, if the rumors are true that he was playing with a injured wrist. UMD got 5 5th year players I believe, so that's 5 roster spots that would have gone to Freshman that now you don't want to use on them since they will not get playing time (th0ugh they could red shirt).
I'd rather see him getting regular minutes with his USHL team than being on the practice squad. His NHL hopes are looking pretty bleak either way mind you.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
USHL Fall Classic will be hosted at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry Township, PA from Sept. 23 to 27. All 16 organizations that compete in the USHL will take to the ice in one location. In addition, an invitational youth tournament, featuring the top 14U, 15U, 16U and 18U teams from the United States, will run in conjunction with the USHL Fall Classic.

lots of NHL scouts attend as I'm sure just about every team sends someone there. Last year it was canceled due to covid. And for those that don't know the Lemieux sports complex is the pens practice facility.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not sure where this is coming from. He's a 4th rounder, the target is 23 years old.
A very unproductive first year in the USHL plus not being good enough to make it into the NCAA in his second year is definitely a bad start. He's not headed in the right directly, let's at least agree on that.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I could've told you at draft day with his name he was going to bust

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I posted a number of his vids on my youtube channel. Now he missed a big chunk of time to injury but he had a 1.46 goals per game in the 11 games he played, over 25 games that puts him on pace for 37 goals which is the exact totals of Biondi who won the Mr. Hockey. In the playoffs Biondi had 10 goals in 6 games and Smith had 11 goals in 6 games.

So while in the toughest division, in what is likely the best USHS league, he was on pace to be one of the best goal scorers. Granted you don't know if he could have kept that pace but the shot to me looks very legit. I showed how bad it was at one point early this season when it was rumored he injured his wrist. He clearly wasn't getting much on the shot. It would be great if the Habs would give the fans any kind of updates like that so we knew for sure.

I really like the way he plays, he's aggressive, gets his nose dirty, is the kind that can play in all situations and seems to be smart but I'd need to see a good bit more of him to really say. The problem is he has that Evans like frame where you wonder how much weight and strength can he add over time.

On the other hand I can't speak to what went so wrong this year that he had such a terrible season. Now if he was dealing with a wrist injury, that would explain some of it, but then why was he playing. If not a wrist injury then what happened to his shot early on as later in the year he did look to be shooting better but by then he went from the 1st line from when I saw him in the 1st month of the season to the 3rd line in just one or two games that I was able to see him near the end of the season. This I believe was after he got injured twice and missed 2 weeks the first time and then 1 week the 2nd time. No word at all on what the injuries were.

So maybe he's not as good as I thought, we'll see how next year goes.
Care to post a link to your Youtube channel?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I didn't know he was playing preseason games but the regular season starts for him on Saturday at noon so I hope to see the game to find out what's going on, usage, etc..

Daniel Linn

please subscribe, I need 469 more

Just subscribed to get you one more closer. Thanks for taking the time to upload these Habs prospect highlights. Much appreciated :thumbu:

C'mon HF Habs subscribe to help grow this valuable Habs prospect resource.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just subscribed to get you one more closer. Thanks for taking the time to upload these Habs prospect highlights. Much appreciated :thumbu:

C'mon HF Habs subscribe to help grow this valuable Habs prospect resource.

thanks, it should pick up once the NCAA, AHL, CHL seasons get started. It was really slow in the summer so I hope to have a ton of vids again this season.

Reactions: sheed36

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wasted pick.

Well...it's always to tell it from that early but....you draft guys that shows some great qualities even late in the draft. Even in the 7th round, Evans was showing some really great IQ mind. I saw plenty of games from Smith and just saw...nothing translatable. Saw a guy good enough 'casue he was fine against his own peers...but that says nothing. So we'll see...but I expect absolutely nothing. Don't know how both of those other 2 guys will fare....but never understood how Biondi but especially Farrell were taken after him. We could have lost them by choosing Smith before.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Well...it's always to tell it from that early but....you draft guys that shows some great qualities even late in the draft. Even in the 7th round, Evans was showing some really great IQ mind. I saw plenty of games from Smith and just saw...nothing translatable. Saw a guy good enough 'casue he was fine against his own peers...but that says nothing. So we'll see...but I expect absolutely nothing. Don't know how both of those other 2 guys will fare....but never understood how Biondi but especially Farrell were taken after him. We could have lost them by choosing Smith before.

Isn't he a very good skater ? Cause Timmins loves great skating players with low NHL potential, we've seen many of his '3rd to 5th round great skating projects' doing pretty much nothing at the next levels. Many times throughout the years I've wondered if he knew what real, projectable skill was.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Isn't he a very good skater ? Cause Timmins loves great skating players with low NHL potential, we've seen many of his '3rd to 5th round great skating projects' doing pretty much nothing at the next levels. Many times throughout the years I've wondered if he knew what real, projectable skill was.

He is a good skater. He's not a dynamo. Anyway, as far as Timmins and Cie and their evaluation of centermen, I will never have confidence in them until they make a mistake and they have one who succeeds. To this point, Jake Evans might very well be their best career achievement. A 7th rounder. With at best a 3rd line C ceiling. In 18 years and counting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad