OT: 2019 Weather Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
My wife and I were on vacation this spring and speaking with some folks for some time who were probably in their 70's and the topic got on climate change. They shook their heads in dismay when we said Yes to their question of if we believed in climate change. We didn't argue with them but simply said to come inhale forest fire smoke all summer long where we live and you might change your mind. My dad is the same way, whatever Faux News says is gospel. (Not that I like the Clinton News Network any better, they are both no better than tabloid journalism and cheerleaders for their respective political parties IMO).

there's obviously a lot of people in AB that convince themselves that climate change is bunk. honestly not even sure why the carbon tax implemented by Notely was so contentious. we're just so shortsighted. it really shouldn't have affected anyone much as far as money because those lower/mid income people get tax refunds. can't believe that was one of the main issues that swayed people to vote for that dolt Kenney. safe to say, under Kenney the situation of climate change (at least the Alberta contributions) will worsen.

problem is we're a spoiled society in the western world. we want to continue to have all the "haves" that we currently have with little to no sacrifices and are damaging the planet in the process.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
there's obviously a lot of people in AB that convince themselves that climate change is bunk. honestly not even sure why the carbon tax implemented by Notely was so contentious. we're just so shortsighted. it really shouldn't have affected anyone much as far as money because those lower/mid income people get tax refunds. can't believe that was one of the main issues that swayed people to vote for that dolt Kenney. safe to say, under Kenney the situation of climate change (at least the Alberta contributions) will worsen.

problem is we're a spoiled society in the western world. we want to continue to have all the "haves" that we currently have with little to no sacrifices and are damaging the planet in the process.

Fly over China or go to Beijing for a day....this is a global issue. Yesterday is a daily occurrence in Beijing but without a PEI sized forest fire burning a few hundred km away.

As for the carbon tax, thats a whole other conversation that will probably get this thread closed.

Reactions: HK97

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I have absolutely no problem with a carbon tax. But having it dumped on people based on earnings was an idiotic and ill concieved portion of it. I was inflicted with it and my kids received "refunds" as "climate leaders" Interesting that the government had no clue as to whether I own a vehicle, or how many, or even if I live in a solar home.I was taxed soley on income. And my limited income university going kids received "climate leader cheques", which, when I asked what they were going to do with "my money", they straight out said it would go toward gas for their vehicles. Doesn't sound very ecological to me. A slimey coverup for a wealth re-distribution tax if I have ever seen one.

A carbon tax should be used to penalize/punish (whatever word you want to use) those who are doing the majority of the polluting of the air, typically factories, etc. Nail them heartily and then use the money to investigate new forms of clean technology. That, I have no problem with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's part stupidity, willful ignorance and part selfishness. A lot of people "in charge" of things are at least 35yr old plus. they figure they'll be long gone by the time things go to "****" if they even believe there's merit to climate change. Kind of sad how they don't give a d*** about the future of their kids and grandkids etc.

They/we keep convincing them/ourselves that it's not a big deal because the change isn't overtly dramatically different in our workaday lives. We're a reactive society. There's not been enough of an "obvious" "disasterous" change to "react" yet. Basically things have to go to extreme sh** before people care. noone wants to sacrifice much to lower their carbon footprints. or at least very few people would make drastic changes to their daily lives.
Its a large part learned helplessness. Because we all share the Earth. We share it with Countries like China which impact the globe immensely. Canada, for its part is small fry and our national impact on global warming is not all that significant and our forests uptake Carbon as well. No matter what Canada does its outstrapped by what say China, Russia, India, etc do. Global cooperation is NOT occurring.

But domestically theres a lot of activities people should reconsider.;

If people truly care about the environment stop Offroading NOW (absolutely obliterates habitat and watersheds. . Stop burning copious wood at campsites or in the city. Stop Golfing Now (more arable land dedicated to this sport than any other rec endeavor on the globe. Golfing is particularly obscene, and golf courses are bad for the environment not even considering the massive space they take up across the globe.

While you're at it stop Air travel immediately. Planes require obscene amounts of fuel to take off and todays system of short hops, Edmonton-Calgary joint pickup type flights is nuts. Air Travel should ONLY exist for international travel, if that. Its time to do away with domestic or continental travel NOW. FTR I travel rail whenever possible. RARELY fly anywhere.

Further, stop buying vehicles. A family should get back to the former mode of one vehicle per family (we have done this our whole lives and my parents did too) and have got by fine. We even provide a lot of people without vehicles rides for shopping etc. It not only cuts environmental footprint it saves money.

Reduce meat consumption. (I've done this my whole adult life, even been a vegetarian for extended periods)

Stop buying so many disposable tech devices which are extremely harmful to the environment through manufacture and disposal.

Stop Wanting HUGE houses that are 2-3 times the size of houses built just 70yrs ago. People aren't that much bigger, families are smaller. Who needs todays mammoth houses?

Stop using plastic bags.

Those points are just a start.

Stop overconsuming pretty much everything.

So walk the walk. Its easy to talk about what should be done, people not caring, actually go forth and make changes and model those to everybody you know. But when it comes down to it people often don't want to inconvenience their own lifestyle. Somebody else should do it..

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have absolutely no problem with a carbon tax. But having it dumped on people based on earnings was an idiotic and ill concieved portion of it. I was inflicted with it and my kids received "refunds" as "climate leaders" Interesting that the government had no clue as to whether I own a vehicle, or how many, or even if I live in a solar home.I was taxed soley on income. And my limited income university going kids received "climate leader cheques", which, when I asked what they were going to do with "my money", they straight out said it would go toward gas for their vehicles. Doesn't sound very ecological to me. A slimey coverup for a wealth re-distribution tax if I have ever seen one.

A carbon tax should be used to penalize/punish (whatever word you want to use) those who are doing the majority of the polluting of the air, typically factories, etc. Nail them heartily and then use the money to investigate new forms of clean technology. That, I have no problem with.

I cant agree more, however I would like to see the tax go towards funding a the closing of the coal plants and the retraining of the workers, funding a nuclear power plant and funding solar panel rebates for homeowners and businesses and electric vehicle rebates. Use the money and make it work towards direct benefit items, not redistributing it.

BTW every cheque my kids got went into the gas tank of their vehicles as well.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
In case y'all are wondering, the smoke has reached as far east as Toronto.

It's about 5 p.m. and the sun is about #5 on that chart in colour. You can't smell it (thankfully), but its fairly obviously in the upper atmosphere.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A few more. In an age where we need to do more to REDUCE footprint myriad businesses and habits are forming now which are at best unhelpful.

Normal healthy people that order delivery food commonly now. Some households order every day. With several more modes of doing this at low cost (price, not environment) At any given rush hour in a city like Edmonton now THOUSANDS of cars are out there clogging roads, burning fuel because perfectly healthy people can't be bothered to make food themselves and expect it delivered to their door practically daily. I could see sick or infirm people requiring such service commonly. Not anybody else.

Drivethrus proliferate. Count the large trucks idling at any Timmies/McDonalds etc in long lineups to pick up food. Vehicles running pointlessly for as long as 15mins. Heres an idea. GET OUT, and eat IN the Timmies. its even more time efficient and EASIER than speaking through those almost inaudible speakers while eating carbon monoxide exhaust.

Advent of remote car starters. Some people seriously let their car run as long as 30mins to warm up the car in the winter (0nly for creature comfort) Todays vehicles don't take 15 secs to go from start to drive even in coldest conditions. Special Darwin award for those that warm up their cars in ATTACHED garages.

Online ordering. Requiring much more door to door delivery, freight, transit. Is this really better than organized shopping and people planning and picking up everything they need in efficient trips to a nearby retailer? The whole amazonmania has a lot of consequences. Pro's and Cons debatable, but significantly changing modes nonetheless. Plus increasing overall consumption and retail and buying modes.

That's all a little aside but Weather, Global warming, all influence by whatever dunderhead trends rue the day. With these seemingly increasing.

Reactions: soothsayer

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ggi8oeC.jpg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Stop buying so many disposable tech devices which are extremely harmful to the environment through manufacture and disposal.
Nah, pretty sure its the 'over 35's, who don't believe in climate change, can't understand the genius of Notley's carbon tax plan, and don't care about the future of their kids and grand kids'. :rolleyes:

The carbon footprint of the tech gadget industry represented just 1% of global totals in 2007. Its already well over 5% and is expected to grow to 15% by 2040 - a figure that is closing in on half of the carbon footprint of the transportation industry. As you pointed out, so much of this is done in PRC, the worst country on the planet when it comes to environmental protection.

90% of the CO2 emissions for a cellphone are associated with mining and refining the materials they contain, and other wasteful manufacturing processes. That means you could operate your old cellphone for an entire decade at less cost to the environment than buying a new one. Even worse, an MIT study a few years back showed that <10% of phones were being recycled properly. Damn those oldsters who insist on buying a new phone every two years.

Then there is the trend for bigger screens ... Apple has disclosed that an iPhone 7 Plus creates 10% more CO2 than the iPhone 6, which in turn creates >50% more CO2 than the iPhone 4. On the other hand, they have managed to reduce the amount of toxic chemicals present in each device over that time period.

Apps? The more apps you have on your phone, the more you require some computer in the cloud to hog a little more energy as they update away endlessly - even while you sleep. The big tech boys like Google, Apple etc have pledged to run all their servers off renewable energy in the near future. Course I'll believe that when I see it. In the mean time, I hope those seniors can be a little less greedy with their app usage, and the pointless viewings of their social media threads.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

The only carbon tax that would make any real difference would be one applied to products imported from the countries that are cranking up their emissions without a care in the world, and lying to people that they will stop increasing in 10-15 years. No one would stand for a tax like that though. we need our new iphone every year to replace the old one that would still have been fine for the next 3 years. but really, if we actually wanted to stop the increase of emissions, that iphone should cost 4 times as much, as well as all the other products we buy like crazy because some countries have learned how to build wealth from our consumer addiction while they pollute like mad to make the products we can never get enough of.

Hate Trump and all, but if he does start a full blown trade war, he could be responsible for the greatest slow down of emissions that any government has ever achieved.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
The only carbon tax that would make any real difference would be one applied to products imported from the countries that are cranking up their emissions without a care in the world, and lying to people that they will stop increasing in 10-15 years. No one would stand for a tax like that though. we need our new iphone every year to replace the old one that would still have been fine for the next 3 years. but really, if we actually wanted to stop the increase of emissions, that iphone should cost 4 times as much, as well as all the other products we buy like crazy because some countries have learned how to build wealth from our consumer addiction while they pollute like mad to make the products we can never get enough of.

Hate Trump and all, but if he does start a full blown trade war, he could be responsible for the greatest slow down of emissions that any government has ever achieved.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
It should be a beautiful day today but instead the Weather Network has a notice telling me to postpone outdoor activities due to air quality. After last summer it's starting to seem like this is the new normal.

Deniers are always asking where the proof of climate change is. Wish they'd just look around.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
It should be a beautiful day today but instead the Weather Network has a notice telling me to postpone outdoor activities due to air quality. After last summer it's starting to seem like this is the new normal.

Deniers are always asking where the proof of climate change is. Wish they'd just look around.
Forest fires have been happening forever....
it's not a new phenomena.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Forest fires have been happening forever....
it's not a new phenomena.

Not like this.

Not like this every year.

This province has had two entire municipalities burn down this decade.

If job security is a priority I have a feeling a career in firefighting is fairly future proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad