OT: 2019 Weather Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sigh. I'm always amazed when smart people can't read.

1. I never claimed 'peer' status with the scientists I mentioned earlier. In fact, if you'd been less hasty to flaunt your credentials and minimize the contributions of others to this thread, you would have realized that I went out of my way to indicate the opposite. I simply stated that they have my respect. I'd add that in my experience they tend to treat others in a far less disdainful manner than you have demonstrated in this thread. That may be because they come from a different, more respectful, culture. Or perhaps they are just more secure in themselves as people. :dunno:

2. I assume folks with PhDs know the difference between 'work with' and 'work for'. Guess not. I'm in finance, and I will most certainly not breach confidentiality to list the names of client companies for your satisfaction. I think it is extremely bad form for you to ask such a question on the open board. If you were really serious about the question, as opposed to just attempting to score cheap internet cred, you would have sent me a PM. Further proof to my mind that you are arguing this topic from a position of dogmatic immaturity. @Drivesaitl seems to have you figured out perfectly. No surprise to me.

Peers can be people you work with/for in the same organization. Anyways, I didn't start the fire between us. Here's your opening, adversarial response to a question I had clarifying your comment(s) that mentioned both weather and climate:
This is the 'weather' thread. I think when we have posters talking about cartoon characters, bigfoot etc, I'm staying on topic. Weather is a product of climate. Scientists don't know much about either. I understand this won't stop them from patting one another on the back and talking down to folks without a PhD.

You have continued this theme against what you consider the more "academic" scientists:

1. Knowing more than ‘we’ do is not the standard I’m willing to accept. I mean you can see the self labelled scientist in the thread basically admitting that he knows very little beyond greenhouse gases -> climate change. Lots of less than helpful ‘theory’ beyond that. I work with a company that produces plastic replacement products. They have many dedicated scientists working every day on improving their products and creating new ones. They are making a real change in our lives and an immediate and tangible improvement for the environment. Those are the scientists I respect. Not the ones who write airy thesis built on miles of extrapolated data and then get frustrated when anyone other than a ‘peer’ dares to question what they wrote.

Overall, I'm glad you take the time to clarify who the "good" scientists are when you clearly have a chip on your shoulder against a certain profession.

Reactions: Senor Catface

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
thread rn.
nm8EynR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad