Blue Jays GDT: 2019 v2|Next: vs Atl |Wed, Aug 28 | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Foltynewicz vs Waguespack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Went to today’s game not knowing that Vlad was sitting and almost left. They cannot be so daft to think that on a holiday Monday when most people can actually make it to the game where Vlad is really the number 1 draw that that’s the right call. I usually don’t really care I just enjoy the games but this was a divisional game on a holiday already with a huge pitching mismatch at least play the kid and give the people something. To watch.

You got to witness a kinesiology experiment.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Our offence is so bad. it's like they are using noodles instead of bats.

Mark Shapiro has been here for 4 years in August.

How has this guy not even acquired 1 promising bat for the future that is MLB ready yet?

Vlad Gurrero Jr. was actually an A.A pick up. He got terrible returns on Happ, Donaldson etc.

This team doesn't have one player under 30 with an OBP over .300 not named Vlad...

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Mark Shapiro has been here for 4 years in August.

How has this guy not even acquired 1 promising bat for the future that is MLB ready yet?

Vlad Gurrero Jr. was actually an A.A pick up. He got terrible returns on Happ, Donaldson etc.

This team doesn't have one player under 30 with an OBP over .300 not named Vlad...

1. Was named in August but didn’t take control until October.

2. Team started rebuilding last summer. Takes more than 11 months to rebuild.

3. It’s a very weird cut off but Grichuk and Galvis are both under 30 and had a OBP over .300 before this game. Galvis is at .299. Means very little.

4. After the same time (1st half) on the job AA only added Colby Rasmus, Melky, (was 29) and Anthony Gose (26 PAs) as under 30 with an OPS over .300. So only really Rasmus and Melky at this point in the season.

Seems like Grichuk and Galvis vs Rasmus and Melky.

By the end of the season after 4 years AA had Melky, Rasmus, Lawrie, Gose and Pompey.

5. Season isn’t over. You should see Grichuk, Galvis, McKinney, Gurriel and Drury break that random mark at the end of the season after 4 years on the job and only 1.5 years of rebuilding.

6. Pretty decent chunk of the Jays came from Riccardi’s tenure; Bautista, EE, Lind, Arencibia, Romero, Janssen, Loup, and Cecil.

Not to mention guys like Bichette and Biggio not too far behind.

Reactions: Eyedea

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
1. Was named in August but didn’t take control until October.

2. Team started rebuilding last summer. Takes more than 11 months to rebuild.

3. It’s a very weird cut off but Grichuk and Galvis are both under 30 and had a OBP over .300 before this game. Galvis is at .299. Means very little.

4. After the same time (1st half) on the job AA only added Colby Rasmus, Melky, (was 29) and Anthony Gose (26 PAs) as under 30 with an OPS over .300. So only really Rasmus and Melky at this point in the season.

Seems like Grichuk and Galvis vs Rasmus and Melky.

By the end of the season after 4 years AA had Melky, Rasmus, Lawrie, Gose and Pompey.

5. Season isn’t over. You should see Grichuk, Galvis, McKinney, Gurriel and Drury break that random mark at the end of the season after 4 years on the job and only 1.5 years of rebuilding.

6. Pretty decent chunk of the Jays came from Riccardi’s tenure; Bautista, EE, Lind, Arencibia, Romero, Janssen, Loup, and Cecil.

Not to mention guys like Bichette and Biggio not too far behind.

The strategic decision and mistake Shaprio & co made was treading water by not blowing it up after 2016 and into 2017 when we clearly had a regressing and aging team.

The notion that they didn't start rebuilding until 11 months ago is the point.

They failed to capitalize and get full value on:

Josh Donaldson (7.4 War in 2016 and 4.8 War in 2017)
Kevin Pillar (3.4 War in 2016 and 2.8 War in 2017)
J.A Happ (2.9 War in 2016 and 2.8 War in 2017)
Marco Estrada (2.8 War in 2016 and 2.5 War in 2017)
Justin Smoak (0.1 War in 2016 and 3.6 War in 2017)

It's literally their job to manage the decline of assets and to get full value. I think it was fairly obvious after not re-signing Edwin in the 2016 offseason they were headed for a rebuild, yet failed miserably on moving high value pieces.

This is night "hindsight" people that study patterns/history understand this. Great GM's/ team operators can see the future before other's and put in strategies to move assets at max value, while capitalizing on moving players at full value, in the public eye despite the negative scrutiny you will get.

Farm is good (let's see how Bichette and others turns out) and I'll give it another 2 years to really see where we stand, but i'm pretty unconvinced at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The strategic decision and mistake Shaprio & co made was treading water by not blowing it up after 2016 and into 2017 when we clearly had a regressing and aging team.

The notion that they didn't start rebuilding until 11 months ago is the point.

They failed to capitalize and get full value on:

Josh Donaldson (7.4 War in 2016 and 4.8 War in 2017)
Kevin Pillar (3.4 War in 2016 and 2.8 War in 2017)
J.A Happ (2.9 War in 2016 and 2.8 War in 2017)
Marco Estrada (2.8 War in 2016 and 2.5 War in 2017)
Justin Smoak (0.1 War in 2016 and 3.6 War in 2017)

It's literally their job to manage the decline of assets and to get full value. I think it was fairly obvious after not re-signing Edwin in the 2016 offseason they were headed for a rebuild, yet failed miserably on moving high value pieces.

This is night "hindsight" people that study patterns/history understand this. Great GM's/ team operators can see the future before other's and put in strategies to move assets at max value, while capitalizing on moving players at full value, in the public eye despite the negative scrutiny you will get.

Farm is good (let's see how Bichette and others turns out) and I'll give it another 2 years to really see where we stand, but i'm pretty unconvinced at this point.

That’s the whole point, you have to give it time before making a judgment especially when there is so much promise coming.

Shapiro said he wanted to rebuild after 2016 but ownership made the FO go for a playoff spot in 2017 and 2018. It’s well known, not hindsight.

Like it or not development plays a lot into it. Many can, will and should say Vladdy would have been Vladdy without them and although AA signed him, he didn’t play one game under the AA regime. He developed entirely under the Shapiro regime. It wasn’t a slam dunk he would have turned out this way, he had raw talent that was developed.

Guys like Jansen, and Borucki were injured late round picks until this development team helped them become potential building blocks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Batters whining about being quick-pitched when they’re standing in the batters box and eligible to be pitched to is the most pathetic thing ever.

Reactions: Anthrax442

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ozim.gif

Reactions: SAMCRO44

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Tellez joins Travis Snider and Anthony Gose as rookies with 5 RBI's in a game

Elite company :sarcasm:

Hopefully his career goes better than those guys :laugh:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Handy backpocket information :laugh:

I'm trying to think who I would have listed if you had given me five guesses about that one before the game.

I'm thinking I might have got Snider. It's probably hindsight, but I have this vague recollection of him having a massive game one night as a rookie vs. Minnesota, but I could be wrong.

Others would be:

Delgado - he destroyed the ball the first month of 94.
Hinske - a rare Jays rookie who played every day his first year.
Lloyd Moseby - I wouldn't remember him doing it, but he was a number 2 overall pick.
Aaron Hill - he pretty much played every day when he came up.
Junior Felix - he kind of burst onto the scene in 89 as a rookie.

Some might wonder about Olerud and McGriff, but I remember they were kind of part timers their first year.

Reactions: aingefan

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm trying to think who I would have listed if you had given me five guesses about that one before the game.

I'm thinking I might have got Snider. It's probably hindsight, but I have this vague recollection of him having a massive game one night as a rookie vs. Minnesota, but I could be wrong.

Others would be:

Delgado - he destroyed the ball the first month of 94.
Hinske - a rare Jays rookie who played every day his first year.
Lloyd Moseby - I wouldn't remember him doing it, but he was a number 2 overall pick.
Aaron Hill - he pretty much played every day when he came up.
Junior Felix - he kind of burst onto the scene in 89 as a rookie.

Some might wonder about Olerud and McGriff, but I remember they were kind of part timers their first year.

Those are good guesses ... I'm not sure who else I could think of off of the top of my head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad