Blue Jays GDT: 2019 v2|Next: vs Atl |Wed, Aug 28 | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Foltynewicz vs Waguespack

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Lol, Buck up there yelling at clouds.

Damn soft kids and all their pampering. In my day we played 3 games a day starting at 4am and then walked to the next city while carrying our own bags and still had enough energy to sign autographs at the mall.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lol, Buck up there yelling at clouds.

Damn soft kids and all their pampering. In my day we played 3 games a day starting at 4am and then walked to the next city while carrying our own bags and still had enough energy to sign autographs at the mall.

In this case he’s right.

To claim that Guerrero needed to sit because he played 6 days in a row (one of those a half-game) is just comical. The guy is 20 years old and raking. He’s not tired. He doesn’t need a rest. And if he did, that’s what the DH spot is for.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
In this case he’s right.

To claim that Guerrero needed to sit because he played 6 days in a row (one of those a half-game) is just comical. The guy is 20 years old and raking. He’s not tired. He doesn’t need a rest. And if he did, that’s what the DH spot is for.

Or rest him yesterday. Or tomorrow. To do it on a holiday Monday, with a big crowd and a large TV audience is just nonsensical.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I had stuff to do all morning and was busy, so had no idea Vladdy was sitting. I turn on the TV at 1:15 and see Brandon Drury strolling to the plate in the 2 hole. TV, off.

Terrible decision on a Holiday Monday. What happens if his "rest day" falls on Canada Day? Idiots.

Reactions: TimeZone

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
In this case he’s right.

I already said that I wasn't disputing the fact that the rest thing is iffy. I was taking issue with bucks cranky old man, "kids these days" rationale. It makes him sound like a dinosaur.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wait a second, I just woke up, somebody please tell me that Vlad is playing.

I can’t even imagine him not playing on Victoria day when literally 90% of the people who have days off can finally watch the kid play, And they sit him?

Tell me at some minor injury or something, They can’t be that tone deaf can they?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I already said that I wasn't disputing the fact that the rest thing is iffy. I was taking issue with bucks cranky old man, "kids these days" rationale. It makes him sound like a dinosaur.

Normally I agree but in this case the over-pampering of young players is just comical and this was actually the right time for that rant.

Reactions: tp71

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I had stuff to do all morning and was busy, so had no idea Vladdy was sitting. I turn on the TV at 1:15 and see Brandon Drury strolling to the plate in the 2 hole. TV, off.

Terrible decision on a Holiday Monday. What happens if his "rest day" falls on Canada Day? Idiots.
Yea same. Terrible decision. I bet a lot of people actually at the game aren't too happy either.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
:laugh: Buck trying to big up pitching wins as useful becuase "all the best teams get wins from their starters."

Of course they do. Because the starter getting wins means you're not playing close or losing games late where the pen picks up the decision.

Also it means you're getting offensive support to carry those win totals.

To Buck's point:

The top 5 teams in the league by starting pitcher wins

Twins - 25
Astros - 22
Dodgers - 21
Phillies - 20
Yankees - 18

That's also your top 5 in overall wins, except with the Brewers subbed in for the Phillies (who sit tied for 6th)

Offensively those team rank in the following slots in terms of team runs scored

Twins - 1st
Astros - 2nd
Dodgers - 5th
Phillies - 12th
Yankees - 15th

Meanwhile those teams ranked by starting pitcher xFIP:

Twins - 12th
Astros - 5th
Dodgers - 2nd
Phillies - 19th
Yankees - 13th

You know what that all says? Pitcher wins sure look like it correlates more strongly to strength of offence than it does performance of said starting pitchers.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Small sample size, but Tepera went from awesome to awful in a hurry.

Hooray for reliever volatility (and an excellent object lesson in the foolishness of overpaying for pen arms.)

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Ryan tepera is an absolute joke. It’s mind boggling that piles of trash like him have jobs

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
your post is doofy. Nothing Buck said was wrong.

Again, I never said that he was wrong to be critical of the fact that Guerrero wasn't playing. What I have an issue with is this whole "back in my day we walked to the stadium uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow and we didn't get on a plane, we had to sit for 48 hours in a train, shovelling the coal ourselves so that we could be at the ballpark at the crack of dawn and bag the peanuts ourselves." rant.

He could've easily left it at "it's early in the season and it's a holiday game and he shouldn't need the rest yet." but he went so hard on that angle that he came across like a cranky old man who's bitter at kids these days and how everything back in his day was better.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Again, I never said that he was wrong to be critical of the fact that Guerrero wasn't playing. What I have an issue with is this whole "back in my day we walked to the stadium uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow and we didn't get on a plane, we had to sit for 48 hours in a train, shovelling the coal ourselves so that we could be at the ballpark at the crack of dawn and bag the peanuts ourselves." rant.

He could've easily left it at "it's early in the season and it's a holiday game and he shouldn't need the rest yet." but he went so hard on that angle that he came across like a cranky old man who's bitter at kids these days and how everything back in his day was better.
Good post.
Buck's opinion wasn't wrong, his reasoning was off.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Went to today’s game not knowing that Vlad was sitting and almost left. They cannot be so daft to think that on a holiday Monday when most people can actually make it to the game where Vlad is really the number 1 draw that that’s the right call. I usually don’t really care I just enjoy the games but this was a divisional game on a holiday already with a huge pitching mismatch at least play the kid and give the people something. To watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad