WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion Part II

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
In Buffalo it was reported he wasn't asked. *shrug* The team had hopes that he would go, particularly a comment from Botterill back at the trade deadline that indicate Jason thought Mitts was going as part of his explanation why he didn't paper-transaction Casey to the AHL like he did Thompson when it was clear both need a lot of work on their NHL-level game.

It was this tweet that I found about Mittelstadt after the season. It's not declarative in that he was offered or not. It's quite possible Mittelstadt hadn't been offered yet and stated he wasn't playing so he was never offered.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Finally!
Defenseman Zach Werenski of the Columbus Blue Jackets arrived mid-afternoon and could be in the lineup tomorrow when the U.S. faces Canada.

Maybe someone can let Gord and Ray know?

I'm sure the "could" part is just because it's ultimately up to Blashill and he won't announce his lineup until tomorrow. But if for some reason Blashill doesn't have him in there, Drury should remove him of his duties on the spot.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Finally!

Maybe someone can let Gord and Ray know?

I'm sure the "could" part is just because it's ultimately up to Blashill and he won't announce his lineup until tomorrow. But if for some reason Blashill doesn't have him in there, Drury should remove him of his duties on the spot.
I think Canada literally drove PLD from the airport to the damn rink.. if USA does not do the same, agreed, remove Blashill immediately...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was this tweet that I found about Mittelstadt after the season. It's not declarative in that he was offered or not. It's quite possible Mittelstadt hadn't been offered yet and stated he wasn't playing so he was never offered.

I'm familiar with it. It didn't say they invited him, just that he wasn't going. Botterill was on record saying he wanted Mitts to go to the WC's back at the trade deadline, so either Mr. Fortnight decided to not go which was against the GM's wishes or he didn't get asked. Given how ass he was most of the season, he didn't deserve the invite.

Reactions: William H Bonney

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
So they play for top spot. Victory today and they face Switzerland in quarterfinals.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
“USA meets Canada today in the final preliminary round game at the World Championship (2:15 pm ET). Zach Werenski is set to make his tournament debut after arriving in Slovakia yesterday. Johnny Gaudreau is a game-time decision.”

From Chris Peters

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It is reward if its mean they dont have to face Russia or Sweden in QF.
True I guess,though I think are about as tough an out as Sweden this year, and we will have a better handle on just how strong Russia really is after todays game.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This game is huge now. It was already big but that German upset really opened up the possibilities:

We have control. Do we take advantage?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Didnt realize how bad a coach Blashill is

Glendening and a few others over Hughes. HAH.

Not really. I dont rate Blashill but Hughes is not ready to make impact in this tournament. He looks like a kid out there. Glendening is good fourth liner and Hughes is not really guy who play 9 minutes in fourth line. His time is coming but probably not this year. I personally think he should be 13th forward and if some top guy like Gaudreu can't play then coach could put Hughes fill that role.

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Not really. I dont rate Blashill but Hughes is not ready to make impact in this tournament. He looks like a kid out there. Glendening is good fourth liner and Hughes is not really guy who play 9 minutes in fourth line. His time is coming but probably not this year. I personally think he should be 13th forward and if some top guy like Gaudreu can't play then coach could put Hughes fill that role.
Hughes had more scoring chances in a single game than the entire 4th line and others like White have had all tournamwnt

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Hughes had more scoring chances in a single game than the entire 4th line and others like White have had all tournamwnt

Glendening and Ryan both play important role in PK. White has been much better than Hughes in this tournament. As a Devils fan you want that Hughes would be big time player in this tournament but he is not physically ready.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Better for NJ anyway I guess - Jack avoids injury on a team thats poorly coached so hed end up on the 4th with grinders dumping and chasing

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Glendening and Ryan both play important role in PK. White has been much better than Hughes in this tournament. As a Devils fan you want that Hughes would be big time player in this tournament but he is not physically ready.
I never expected him to be a big player in the tourney

Glendening doesnt do shit dont kid yourself - take Jack out for a million reasons but Glendening is barely an NHL player. Blashill just has a hard-on for him

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think people are losing sight as to why Hughes is here. As an American and a supporter of USA Hockey I would have LOVED to see Hughes blow this tournament up. He's had his moments but a long season has caught up with him and the weaknesses in his current game are evident. This has been a great chance for him to soak in what it is to be a pro and he'll learn from it and continue to work on his game leading up to draft day. The U.S. needs a structured line-up with all hands on deck today to beat Canada and with Gaudreau returning it makes sense for Jack to sit and the plumbers to fill in his likely role on the 4th line.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
White centering the top line while Larkin is 3rd line

What the actual f*** is this coach doing

Granted he will switch the lines twelve times before the third

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019

Well it’s not bad, I like those forward lines, but Skjei should be 7th and Hanifin or Fox paired with Werenski.

Also I see Demko won’t get any other match this years as I see it, I would bet it stands the same even if Schneider allowed 7 goals today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad