WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion Part II

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
US created so many chances starting in the last half of the 1st period. Really JVR, Johnny G and JVR will be tossing n turning about what could have been.

I mean many NHL points was that missing good looks in the 2nd and 3rd periods ?

Gotta bury chances against a great NHL goalie.

Yeah, it was kinda the story of the tournament really on the offensive end. I'm actually surprised how many grade-A chances we created against the Russians. I thought our chances would be more limited and we'd have to take advantage of some greasy goals or PPs. We created more against them than any of the other decent teams we played. And that's not even counting the half dozen or more chances where we should have made forced Vasilevsky to make a big time save but instead kept forcing passes, either on 2-on-1s but also plenty of times early in the game during offensive zone pressure.

Last edited:

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Always comes down to contracts, injuries, free agency, NHL playoffs etc.

US needs to push to host this awesome tourney.
I would love it if it was here, but it would have to be in a non-NHL/AHL city because of arena issues. Not sure where you could put it.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wouldn't worry too much about next years roster, the tournament is in Switzerland. Guys will be lining up for that one. May be a little tougher the next few years after that.

Yeah, Switzerland should help. And next year, the contract situation should be a lot more favorable than it was this year.

We had a lot of good players this year, especially younger ones, that probably would have considered playing but didn't due to contract issues. Guys like Trouba, Tkachuk, Connor, Boeser, Hayes, Nelson, Werenski (for the first 6 games), DeAngelo, Butcher, Pionk, Lee, Dzingel, etc.

Next year on the free agent (RFA + UFA) front, we have guys we'd definitely want if they're available like Krug, Faulk, Kreider, DeBrincat and some of the young up-and-comers that we often target and have success getting - even with contract issues - like Keller, Roslovic, Terry, Greenway, Mittelstadt, and Grzelcyk. But outside of those players, you either have marginal NHLers that wouldn't be our top options (i.e. TVR, Sheary, Lewis, etc.), old guys that never play and either wouldn't be wanted or wouldn't bother anyway (i.e. Callahan, Bogosian, Greene, Anderson, etc.), or guys we'd probably want but never bother (i.e. Galchenyuk).

And you'd expect a few of those guys to not be available due to the playoffs and probably some them to have contracts in the next year anyway. So it looks a lot more promising in that we shouldn't have some really huge automatic declined invites due to contracts like we did this year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some Jack Hughes highlights..

First steal and assist to Hanifin:

Pass to Kane which goes to DeBrincat for another assist, although it's missing his back check strip of Ovechkin right before, which was even better:

Feedback from his coach whom he's probably glad won't be drafting him, haha:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Yeah, Switzerland should help. And next year, the contract situation should be a lot more favorable than it was this year.

We had a lot of good players this year, especially younger ones, that probably would have considered playing but didn't due to contract issues. Guys like Trouba, Tkachuk, Connor, Boeser, Hayes, Nelson, Werenski (for the first 6 games), DeAngelo, Butcher, Pionk, Lee, Dzingel, etc.

Next year on the free agent (RFA + UFA) front, we have guys we'd definitely want if they're available like Krug, Faulk, Kreider, DeBrincat and some of the young up-and-comers that we often target and have success getting - even with contract issues - like Keller, Roslovic, Terry, Greenway, Mittelstadt, and Grzelcyk. But outside of those players, you either have marginal NHLers that wouldn't be our top options (i.e. TVR, Sheary, Lewis, etc.), old guys that never play and either wouldn't be wanted or wouldn't bother anyway (i.e. Callahan, Bogosian, Greene, Anderson, etc.), or guys we'd probably want but never bother (i.e. Galchenyuk).

And you'd expect a few of those guys to not be available due to the playoffs and probably some them to have contracts in the next year anyway. So it looks a lot more promising in that we shouldn't have some really huge automatic declined invites due to contracts like we did this year.

Me thinks a good portion of the RFA/UFAs above will get taken care of, re-upped, in the summer.

Reactions: William H Bonney

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Minnesota has lots of bigger rinks that wouldn't be in use.

Regardless I doubt the interest would be there. Heck, even Canada has only hosted it once.

To be fair, doesn't "da beauty leauge" draw pretty well in the summer?

Also, Ryan Whitney said on Spittin Chiclets last week or something, that the WC's used to just be a two week tour of Europe for all the Euro guys to have fun, go out, and play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad