Speculation: 2019 UFA Defenseman

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This. If Karlsson were to leave, we'd be starting a full-blown rebuild. EK and McDavid are the top 2 players in the world IMO, and both young. You hang on to those with all your might.

Exactly. If it's only about money then you move whatever is required. EK is absolutely elite and cannot be replaced. Losing him would hurt even more than choosing Redden over Chara.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Yeah there's no way any of them leave. If Arizona continues to be bad and their prospects aren't developing correctly I wouldn't be too surprised to see OEL leave. Maybe Karlsson as well if Sens remain mediocre. There's like a .1% chance any of these guys leave though

Uh, what? Did you forget that Ottawa was one goal away from the Cup final, playing against the eventual Cup winners? You may want to look 'mediocre' up in the dictionary.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I hope EK signs with another team. He's wasting his career in Ottawa he deserves to play for an owner that will not stop at anything in order to win.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Uh, what? Did you forget that Ottawa was one goal away from the Cup final, playing against the eventual Cup winners? You may want to look 'mediocre' up in the dictionary.
Not that I am defending wht he said but playoffs are a different season. Any team can go on a hot run.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
And then the Preds fwd corps due to a 40M+ D corps

Forsberg- Johansen - Scrub
Fiala - Scrub -Scrub
Prospect- Prospect- Prospect
Scrub - Scrub - Scrub
That's about what it was during the SCF anyways minus Johansen and Fiala

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
And then the Preds fwd corps due to a 40M+ D corps

Forsberg- Johansen - Scrub
Fiala - Scrub -Scrub
Prospect- Prospect- Prospect
Scrub - Scrub - Scrub

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Fiala - Kamanev - Tolvanen
xxx - Sissons - Aberg/Watson

That should do well anyways.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
You've given it more thought than I have, I'm sure. I just expect a guy like him to be making more than $5m per and this is a year before Josi's megadeal comes due. Won't they need something more cost-effective for their second pair?

They don't need to worry about the price. Only reason Ellis would be traded is if Poile believes Fabbro is ready and wants to use Ellis to upgrade other parts of the roster. Rinne's deal is up the same year as Ellis and then Smiths ends the same as Josi so paying them won't be an issue if Poile chooses to retain them

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There is only so much " cap" money to go around. If the Leafs want to pay their 3 young forwards big money, there is no cap for Doughty or any stud Dman .

Few teams, especially contending teams have that much cap space available to go overboard. Good chance the players mentioned stay where they play now.

Even Shattenkirk who was about the only premier Dman available this summer (well really he isn't THAT good) could "just" 6.6m

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Karlsson went the UFA route he'd become the highest paid player in the league. There would be a huge bidding war for his services. Even if you don't have the cap space you make room for a player like Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad