Speculation: 2019 UFA Defenseman

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I actually think OEL has better odds of staying than any of them. Coyotes will be on a big upswing at that point, and they'll definitely pay him.

Doughty, McDonagh, and Karlsson might all have the bad team problem in two years. It's too soon to know. I'd guess McDonagh is the most likely to stay, followed by Karlsson and Doughty.

Ellis is going to get paid like a #2D and I doubt Nashville would (or should) pay him. Watch him go to Arizona!

Considering Ellis has played like a #2D and is on the top pairing he deserves to be paid what he's worth. I can't see him leaving, but I've been wrong before.

I love the Doughty to Toronto posts though. :laugh: He'll go well with Tavares...and Stamkos... and Crosby.:laugh:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Doughty goes to Toronto, Ellis gets overpaid to be a #3 or #2 d-man and the rest stay with their teams.

Only reason I think Doughty goes to Toronto is because of a tweet he made earlier this year where he said something along the lines of "Players from Ontario secretly wish they could play for Toronto"

It wasn't a tweet, he was interviewed on TSN 1050 and said that. He also followed it up with something along the lines of "I don't know if I could play in Toronto because you can't walk around the streets without being noticed"

It's a possibility sure, but I wouldn't read much into it

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
OEL has been deeper in the playoffs with the Coyotes than Ovechkin has been with the Capitals.

They asked OEL what he wanted and they delievered. They went out and got him Hjalmarsson. He asked them to bring his brother to Tucson and they did.

They've got a huge amount of cap space and budget open specifically to re-sign him.

So, other than homerism and wishful thinking, what about that says that OEL is likely to bolt?

Continued mediocrity and a desire to actually compete for championships? I don't think it will happen, but if Arizona can't turn things around maybe he decides somewhere else is better

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So I know it's pretty far away, but there are quite a few Truly Elite or even Franchise defensemen that become UFA's after the 2018-2019 season. So just for fun, who, if any, end up actually hitting July 1 as UFA's...
****Rank from Most likely to leave to least likely.

Drew Doughty-LA
O.E. Larsson-Ari
Ryan McDonagh-NYR
Erik Karlsson-Ott
Ryan Ellis-Nsh.

Personally I think there is a decent sized chance that any of them could want to find new pastures in the next couple seasons.

I know it's highly likely most if not all end up staying put,

* my list isn't a reflection of who I think is most likely (my belief would be Ekman Larsson would be most likely, specifically if Arizona doesn't start winning within the next two years).

I wouldn't be surprised 1 bit if OEL chose to hit the market. Id scale them as this...1 being most likely.

1. OEL
2. Erik Karlsson
3. Drew Doughty
4. McDonagh
5. Ryan Ellis

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think Doughty goes to Toronto, Ellis gets overpaid to be a #3 or #2 d-man and the rest stay with their teams.

Only reason I think Doughty goes to Toronto is because of a tweet he made earlier this year where he said something along the lines of "Players from Ontario secretly wish they could play for Toronto"

He was actually trolling the leafs media..

Doughty is gonna cost 10M+ imo..not sure the Leafs will be able to afford that without making the room necessary.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Considering Ellis has played like a #2D and is on the top pairing he deserves to be paid what he's worth. I can't see him leaving, but I've been wrong before.

I love the Doughty to Toronto posts though. :laugh: He'll go well with Tavares...and Stamkos... and Crosby.:laugh:

And McDavid :laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Uh, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Leafs fans saying that, sport.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

A tweet? That's a pretty flimsy reason especially if it was a joke.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

You're kidding right? Zach Werenski tweeted that it's his dream to play with his U of M buddy Dylan Larkin some day in the future also. But it doesn't mean that Werenski will be home in Detroit or Larkin will be playing in Columbus. Players say things like that all the time it means absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You're kidding right? Zach Wrenski tweeted that it's is dream to play with his U of M buddy Dylan Larkin some day in the future also. But it doesn't mean that Werenski will be home in Detroit or Larkin will be playing in Columbus. Players say things like that all the time it means absolutely nothing.

This . My dream would be to play for the Oilers , but if I was good enough to have been drafted I would also be loyal to the team that drafted me . I am sure many people on here have dreams of their perfect mate . I am just a sure that many of them my have met their perfect mates and they are probably much different then they pictured in their mines . Point is dreams can change when reality comes a calling

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Yeah there's no way any of them leave. If Arizona continues to be bad and their prospects aren't developing correctly I wouldn't be too surprised to see OEL leave. Maybe Karlsson as well if Sens remain mediocre. There's like a .1% chance any of these guys leave though

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I actually think OEL has better odds of staying than any of them. Coyotes will be on a big upswing at that point, and they'll definitely pay him.

Doughty, McDonagh, and Karlsson might all have the bad team problem in two years. It's too soon to know. I'd guess McDonagh is the most likely to stay, followed by Karlsson and Doughty.

Ellis is going to get paid like a #2D and I doubt Nashville would (or should) pay him. Watch him go to Arizona!

Based on what? what reason is there to believe Arizona is on an upswing?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Based on what? what reason is there to believe Arizona is on an upswing?

C'mon...they have a very young, talented roster, one of the best top 2 D pairings in the league, a new coach coming off back to back Stanley Cups and a highly regarded new goalie. As a Leaf fan I am surprised you cant see any upside? Do you forget they were a better team than the Maple Leafs 2 of the previous 3 seasons?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You've given it more thought than I have, I'm sure. I just expect a guy like him to be making more than $5m per and this is a year before Josi's megadeal comes due. Won't they need something more cost-effective for their second pair?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Predators go big re-sign Ellis and sign Karlsson and Doughty as Free Agents
Karlsson-Josi
Doughty-Subban
Ellis-Ekholm

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
C'mon...they have a very young, talented roster, one of the best top 2 D pairings in the league, a new coach coming off back to back Stanley Cups and a highly regarded new goalie. As a Leaf fan I am surprised you cant see any upside? Do you forget they were a better team than the Maple Leafs 2 of the previous 3 seasons?

I have to see the improvement before I buy in.

The Leafs had to prove it, they did, Now Arizona has to prove it.

I like Raanta, I do, I went back and forth between him and Scott Darling as the NHL's best backup.

Thing is now Raanta is the guy and he hasn't proven a thing as the starter

Arizona as a whole as a lot to prove

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Predators go big re-sign Ellis and sign Karlsson and Doughty as Free Agents
Karlsson-Josi
Doughty-Subban
Ellis-Ekholm

And then the Preds fwd corps due to a 40M+ D corps

Forsberg- Johansen - Scrub
Fiala - Scrub -Scrub
Prospect- Prospect- Prospect
Scrub - Scrub - Scrub

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The only one that makes sense for me is Doughty.

He is moved for a King's ransom :sarcasm: at the deadline and then signed somewhere in the offseason.

I see the rest all resigning, they are all too important to their teams, and unlike the Kings, all will still be competitive in 2019.

I think the Kings are on their way down to a rebuild. They still have a very good team for the next two seasons, but after that the Flames, Oilers and Coyotes will probably be the class of the west. Big changes from the California dominance of the Pacific.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The only one that makes sense for me is Doughty.

He is moved for a King's ransom :sarcasm: at the deadline and then signed somewhere in the offseason.

I see the rest all resigning, they are all too important to their teams, and unlike the Kings, all will still be competitive in 2019.

I think the Kings are on their way down to a rebuild. They still have a very good team for the next two seasons, but after that the Flames, Oilers and Coyotes will probably be the class of the west. Big changes from the California dominance of the Pacific.

Can't see Ellis re-signing, unless they want to lose Josi the next year or trade Ekholm and replace him by an ELC player (like Fabbro).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think OEL leaves Arizona

Pretty unlikely that Ottawa or LA let their guys walk either

McDonagh possibly, NY might use him for a last playoff push so it depends if he wants to extend

Ellis might go though, will need a raise and Nashville probably won't trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad