GDT: 2019 Trade Deadline: Part Two/ The Wrath of Holland

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
San Jose's got a few prospects I'd be interested in. Chekhovich, Blichfeld, Chmelevski, Gregor, and Gambrell are some forwards I'd be interested in. On D they've got Kyle Wood and Jeremy Roy, I don't think they'll trade Merkley. Idk if any of those dmen have enough value.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I just read the conditions on SAN Jose’s 2019 1st round pick and it is essentially available for trade. The way it works is that if the sharks miss the playoffs Ottawa gets SJ’s 2019 1st however if SJ makes playoffs Ott gets SJ’s 2020 1st instead.

So we could give them Nyquist for a conditioninal 1st.

If SJ makes playoffs and/or wins X amount of rounds Detroit gets the 2019 1st. If they miss playoffs/don’t win X rounds Detroit gets a 2019 2nd/3rd/whatever.
I don't think you can conditional a conditional. As far as I know, SJs first is not able to be traded.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I just read the conditions on SAN Jose’s 2019 1st round pick and it is essentially available for trade. The way it works is that if the sharks miss the playoffs Ottawa gets SJ’s 2019 1st however if SJ makes playoffs Ott gets SJ’s 2020 1st instead.

So we could give them Nyquist for a conditioninal 1st.

If SJ makes playoffs and/or wins X amount of rounds Detroit gets the 2019 1st. If they miss playoffs/don’t win X rounds Detroit gets a 2019 2nd/3rd.

I was curious about that. So it's confirmed that you can have multiple conditions on the same pick you're trading to different teams, as long as those conditions dont interfere with each other? If so that's interesting. I would have thought the NHL would not allow you to trade a pick with conditions on it to avoid weird scenarios like this one.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't think you can conditional a conditional. As far as I know, SJs first is not able to be traded.

Our 2019 1st and 2020 1st are both unconditionally owned by one of Anaheim/Buffalo/Ottawa. The only conditions are which team owns which pick. Our 2021 1st, on the other hand, is conditionally owned by Ottawa if we win the Cup and Erik Karlsson re-signs.

The earliest 1st round pick San Jose could offer would be a conditional 2021 1st, that becomes a 2022 1st if San Jose wins the Cup and Erik Karlsson re-signs.

In other words, San Jose isn’t trading any 1sts lol

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What do you guys think of Nyquist?

He is quick, has a decent shot and will get to the dirty areas to score a goal but is more of a playmaker. He will backcheck hard and typically avoids “cheating” in the dzone but isnt very physical. He also isn’t the strongest on the puck but is shifty and plays with his head up. Over his career he has averaged out as a 50-55 point scorer. Personally I see him as a good second line scorer but he he is comfortable on the 1st line having played a good chunk of the season with Larkin.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
San Jose as a trading partner makes me nervous. Their prospect pool is depleted but for a few top end guys they refused to give Ottawa for EK. It goes without saying that if they wouldn’t trade those guys for Karlsson, they certainly won’t trade them for Nyquist.

If SJ is the winning bidder, prepare for an underwhelming return.

Reactions: SirloinUB

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
If Nyquist cites personal reasons for not waiving his NTC, how many of you would still want Holland to attempt to work out a new contract?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Our 2019 1st and 2020 1st are both unconditionally owned by one of Anaheim/Buffalo/Ottawa. The only conditions are which team owns which pick. Our 2021 1st, on the other hand, is conditionally owned by Ottawa if we win the Cup and Erik Karlsson re-signs.

The earliest 1st round pick San Jose could offer would be a conditional 2021 1st, that becomes a 2022 1st if San Jose wins the Cup and Erik Karlsson re-signs.

In other words, San Jose isn’t trading any 1sts lol
While you're here do you want to fill us in on some prospects of yours who could be available?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
What do you guys think of Nyquist?
My guess is like half of us here want to re-sign him. The other half don't dislike his game, but would rather rebuild than re-sign. Obviously, he's been on the top line for several seasons and is one of about two guys who Blashill doesn't shift around a lot. He's also been a good influence on our younger guys like Larkin.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
If Nyquist cites personal reasons for not waiving his NTC, how many of you would still want Holland to attempt to work out a new contract?

I don't want Holland to attempt to work out any new contracts in general. Let Steve.

To answer your question though, I guess his NTC entitles him to do that kind of thing by right. So, I wouldn't blame him. I would be more disappointed in the contract in question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad