Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
All I am hoping for is that the Flyers sign exactly the UFA right player or players – with a rough definition of "right" as one who produces significantly more goals than the player previously holding that position in the roster and/or who is associated with fewer goals scored on the Flyers during his time on the ice – at a salary amount commensurate to a secure team cap situation for now and the future, while making appropriate player exchanges that increase their future winning opportunities, in which the value of the players becoming Flyers significantly exceeds those who are going from the Flyers to other teams.
Not only do I agree with the sentiment, I also agree with the writing style. I am pleased there is only one period in your post.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m good with Hart and Stolie to start next year. I think Fletch is too but can’t see him going with them in case things go south. It will look bad if Stolarz isn’t playing well and Hart slumps if we passed on any vet goalie.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I’m good with Hart and Stolie to start next year. I think Fletch is too but can’t see him going with them in case things go south. It will look bad if Stolarz isn’t playing well and Hart slumps if we passed on any vet goalie.
They'll need a veteran somewhere, just in case. This year's goaltending catastrophe cost Hexy his job, Fletch isn't going to risk it.

Reactions: TheKingPin

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
They'll need a veteran somewhere, just in case. This year's goaltending catastrophe cost Hexy his job, Fletch isn't going to risk it.

I wonder if they just wait out the market and see if guys like Elliot, Talbot, etc are still around.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Idk if you are quoting them as examples of success or being sarcastic, but none of these guys have played an NHL game so none are success stories at this point. Could be at some point, but until then I would not use them as examples of good drafting.
You don't need to see someone play in the NHL to determine if they were good acquisitions or not. You don't need to see Myers play in the NHL to determine that he was a good pickup.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
We need players that play solid defensive game forwards and defense man.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It's 5 points out, but also CBus has 2 games in hand.

Ya I haven't looked into the whole dynamics of our shot TBH. Just making a point that i don't see us trading a heart and soul player like Simmer if we're in the mix. Sucks to perhaps to lose him for nothing, but worth it for a strong push imo

Reactions: Tripod

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
My brain says that they need to cut ties with simmer for the haul they could get. Also the other loose ends they can clear out.

Heart says some of the guys we have long term plans deserve to at least not see their chances cut out from underneath them, which I assume that is the optics of if they move Simmonds.

I think the worst case is them resigning him. It blocks one prospect—whomever it is.

Reactions: renberg

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
If they win 8 more straight, I'll be ok with keeping Simmer...

The crazy thing is Columbus has lost 5 straight and are falling apart and Buffalo is 3-7 in their last 10. Could get a little interesting down the stretch

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Maybe this is what they meant when they said we would be both sellers and buyers.

Good point. Maybe we do both

As more for your CLB reply, they are in a massive crunch to make a decision on Bob and Pana before losing them for nothing. Those 2 games in hand might just be a formality at this point

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You don't need to see someone play in the NHL to determine if they were good acquisitions or not. You don't need to see Myers play in the NHL to determine that he was a good pickup.
Novel idea. Scouts get credit for drafting good players before we know if they are good players because before they reach the NHL people think they might turn out to be a good player. Myers is a good prospect along with a lot of other players, but if they don't eeve amount to anything I'm not going to laud our scouts and give them credit for picking guys we thought would be good but turned out to suck.

Reactions: Johnk0728

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Novel idea. Scouts get credit for drafting good players before we know if they are good players because before they reach the NHL people think they might turn out to be a good player. Myers is a good prospect along with a lot of other players, but if they don't eeve amount to anything I'm not going to laud our scouts and give them credit for picking guys we thought would be good but turned out to suck.

This is just results-oriented thinking. Scouts can identify talent and attempt to asses their upside but everything after signing is up to the team’s development program. If Fletcher leaves Myers in LHV for five years and Myers decides to retire, it doesn’t mean the scouts were wrong about him.

Myers has already exceeded expectations.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
This is just results-oriented thinking. Scouts can identify talent and attempt to asses their upside but everything after signing is up to the team’s development program. If Fletcher leaves Myers in LHV for five years and Myers decides to retire, it doesn’t mean the scouts were wrong about him.

Myers has already exceeded expectations.

Sports is a results-oriented business. Drafting results are not subjective. If the player fails to succeed in the NHL; then the result of the pick is graded as such. Too many excuses on this board for prospects....its never that the beloved prospect was not good enough; its the coaches system, development flaw etc. An athlete never pays no mind to that crap when they are playing. If they are good; then they just flat out rise above and succeed. Myers will get his chance in the NHL; lets see how he does instead of declaring him great without playing an NHL game.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

Huh? You kind of do need to see how they fare in the NHL to assess if it was a good acquisition by an NHL team. You can project and predict that they will succeed in the NHL. But NHL play is kind of important to judge an NHL draft pick. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad